Discovery Gaming Community
How to Save Discovery Freelancer - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: How to Save Discovery Freelancer (/showthread.php?tid=186712)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

RE: How to Save Discovery Freelancer - Psyentific - 03-10-2021

wouldn't it figure, the one time i poke my head back into this community and there's a thread about the game dying. hah.

look at the last post i made, back in 2016. i brought in some friends, we were going to be a shifty evil corporation. it didn't work. we ran into constant difficulties with the ID system and how that hooked into RP. there wasn't really an ID, any ID at all, that fit the sort of faction concept and typical gameplay we were trying to do (mix of trading and quasi-legal fighting without any real affiliation). we reached out to various factions, both official and not, both frequently engaged-with and not, and we barely got anything. i vividly recall that we had some scheme cooked up to smuggle large quantities of weapons to a bretonian "resistance group" on, i think it was french-occupied Leeds? we wanted to buy off the royal navy (IC) and seek their blessing/cooperation (OOC) but they never even answered our call. still a bit salty about that even all these years later. similar story with other factions, we'd reach out to try and start a story arc but we'd get nothing, not even a polite "fuck off and never call us again", just silence.

before we left we pooled together all our resources and bought a semi-mobile space station off the Zoners, don't even remember what it was called. i was told there were only 2 or 3 in the game. i handed buddy the keys and he promptly got it stuck in an asteroid field in, I think it was Omicron Beta. the green one with the fucked up asteroids. should still be there, logged off for years, a one-of-a-kind supercapital just gathering dust.

only reason i'm even posting is because i happened to be looking up freelancer mods. would i play disco again? haha fuck no, i'd probably just end up grinding trade routes a bunch, seeing nobody in space ever, and getting the silent treatment from the RP community again.

RE: How to Save Discovery Freelancer - romeodarkbeat - 03-11-2021

Well, doens't help that some of the most active factions last year, the ones actively talking to newbies that join the server and helping them, get constantly backtalked by folks who spend all their time scheming on discord because they are "too good" to log and meet "inferior" factions, players, etc.

You want to save Disco? No change on trade lane speed, map rework or even giving rainbow-colored nukes to everyone will be necessary or do the trick.
Just Tweak one thing:

-- Stop thinking people should have "top tier standarts" for playing a game that is 18 years old.

Problem is, this isn't a line you can change in the server source code. Has more to do with the moral code of those present. And I sincerely have a bit hope it will change with patience and an agreement between the sensible players that still love this server. If that doen'st happen, I expect the server to stop having enough people to justify keep it running by 2023.

That said, I freaking commend and salute the remarkable job the Events team, the Mods and GMs are doing. I had so much stuff to catch up on after a 12-day hiatus induced by covid...

RE: How to Save Discovery Freelancer - Greylock - 03-11-2021

(03-11-2021, 02:56 AM)romeodarkbeat Wrote: Well, doens't help that some of the most active factions last year, the ones actively talking to newbies that join the server and helping them, get constantly backtalked by folks who spend all their time scheming on discord because they are "too good" to log and meet "inferior" factions, players, etc.

You want to save Disco? No change on trade lane speed, map rework or even giving rainbow-colored nukes to everyone will be necessary or do the trick.
Just Tweak one thing:

-- Stop thinking people should have "top tier standarts" for playing a game that is 18 years old.

Problem is, this isn't a line you can change in the server source code. Has more to do with the moral code of those present. And I sincerely have a bit hope it will change with patience and an agreement between the sensible players that still love this server. If that doen'st happen, I expect the server to stop having enough people to justify keep it running by 2023.

I absolutely agree with you. I think the biggest problem I have with this thread is that OP is trying to "save" a mod for a game that is 18 years old. It doesn't need saving. It needs the few people that still play it to stop getting their panties in a bunch every time they disagree over a minor thing.

To me, this place, this community, this mod, is a place for me to unwind, relax, write some sci-fi roleplay with people I've come to call friends over time. Some of them I started out greatly disliking. The key to saving Discovery, isn't making drastic changes, it isn't saying "lmao your opinion differs from mine so you're a toxic piece of garbage," the key to saving Discovery, is letting go. Letting go of grudges. It's not worth your time to hold a grudge over a video game. I'm still working on that part myself. Yes, we get upset, sometimes even angry over something that happens either in-game or on the forums. We can never hope to keep the community alive if all we do is tear each other apart because our ideals differ.

If we can't find it within ourselves to be decent to one another over an old arcade game, what hope is there for a new player? Their first experience on the forum could very well be seeing, say, the Admin feedback thread. That thread is, in its entirety, people flinging fecal matter at one another over a game. Yes, sometimes, there's a good reason. But it all comes back down to the root issue: we are people, we make mistakes. If we choose not to learn from those mistakes and better ourselves, then we have no hope of continuing to keep this community around.

P.S. I don't usually make this kind of post, but it's 2 in the morning where I am and I do a lot of things that I wouldn't normally do when it's this late.

RE: How to Save Discovery Freelancer - diamond1 - 03-11-2021

(03-11-2021, 11:32 AM)Greylock Wrote:
(03-11-2021, 02:56 AM)romeodarkbeat Wrote: Well, doens't help that some of the most active factions last year, the ones actively talking to newbies that join the server and helping them, get constantly backtalked by folks who spend all their time scheming on discord because they are "too good" to log and meet "inferior" factions, players, etc.

Just Tweak one thing:

I absolutely agree with you. I think the biggest problem I have with this thread is that OP is trying to "save" a mod for a game that is 18 years old. It doesn't need saving. It needs the few people that still play it to stop getting their panties in a bunch every time they disagree over a minor thing.

To me, this place, this community, this mod, is a place for me to unwind, relax, write some sci-fi roleplay with people I've come to call friends over time. Some of them I started out greatly disliking. The key to saving Discovery, isn't making drastic changes, it isn't saying "lmao your opinion differs from mine so you're a toxic piece of garbage," the key to saving Discovery, is letting go. Letting go of grudges. It's not worth your time to hold a grudge over a video game. I'm still working on that part myself. Yes, we get upset, sometimes even angry over something that happens either in-game or on the forums. We can never hope to keep the community alive if all we do is tear each other apart because our ideals differ.

If we can't find it within ourselves to be decent to one another over an old arcade game, what hope is there for a new player? Their first experience on the forum could very well be seeing, say, the Admin feedback thread. That thread is, in its entirety, people flinging fecal matter at one another over a game. Yes, sometimes, there's a good reason. But it all comes back down to the root issue: we are people, we make mistakes. If we choose not to learn from those mistakes and better ourselves, then we have no hope of continuing to keep this community around.

P.S. I don't usually make this kind of post, but it's 2 in the morning where I am and I do a lot of things that I wouldn't normally do when it's this late.

^

RE: How to Save Discovery Freelancer - Czechmate - 03-11-2021

Greylock making sense? We are all doomed Smile

-the age of the game shows in lacking one vital aspect of modern PvP games: There's no matchmaking. In say dota in random play most people end up with 44-55% won matches after calibration. No matter what skill level he is at.

It should be the goal of everyone that groupfights end up with those ratios for systems to be active and people keep logging for PvP. By taking skill difference into account, be willing to lose, log the other side, give blues and fly into numerical or ship class disadvantage against weaker opponents. There's no mechanic for matchmaking, people need to do it themselves.

- Newer players should be respected and guided, encouraged instead of shat on.

This isn't on staff really, but us - the players

RE: How to Save Discovery Freelancer - Greylock - 03-11-2021

(03-11-2021, 11:52 AM)Relation-Ship Wrote: Greylock making sense?
Frend I often make sense, I'm just usually quite rude.

RE: How to Save Discovery Freelancer - Karlotta - 03-11-2021

Just Tweak one thing:

I agree about the elitist attitude (held mainly by people whose greatest achievements in life lie within discovery), but just because one thing is more important doesn't mean you shouldn't do the other thing(s) too.

There is no 1 thing that will bring greater activity simply on its own. There are about 30 different things that will only significantly increase activity and fun if you do at least 25 of them combined.

And unless the "staff" finally decides to put a higher priority on:

- improving the game NOW instead of their usual snail pace which rejects everything done from people outside their friendclique

than they put on:

- self-aggrandizement by handing out doggy-treats to people who roll over for them

, those things will never happen in time.

What should also be done is to push for implementing things that everyone agrees with as s oon as possible, and only afterwards continue to squabble about things we dont agree on.

RE: How to Save Discovery Freelancer - Lord Chaos - 03-11-2021

(03-08-2021, 09:45 PM)Kherty Wrote:
(03-08-2021, 08:30 PM)Minna-Dietlinde Wilcke Wrote: You and your stupid ideas again. Cease.

Instead of telling "hurr durr stoopid cEaSe": recognize the fact that Binski is actively trying something, as opposed to most of the players just complaining about the server's state, and quality - and proceed to make it worse.

Even if it's wrong, even if it's bad, at least Binski will know those are bad, and through a common effort, we will eventually fix this.

Instead of disrespecting someone that's done more than you to enhance, fix and pinpoint what is plaguing the server and its community.

(03-11-2021, 11:32 AM)Greylock Wrote:

Just Tweak one thing:

Couldnt agree more
And stop the double standards, the bullying and the grudge/saltyness and stop the general "insulting with no bad words" behavior we see all across the board were some try to diminish other players opinions and ideas, if you dont like it and cant contribute with something positive just stay out of it.

(03-11-2021, 11:52 AM)Relation-Ship Wrote: Greylock making sense? We are all doomed Smile

-the age of the game shows in lacking one vital aspect of modern PvP games: There's no matchmaking. In say dota in random play most people end up with 44-55% won matches after calibration. No matter what skill level he is at.

It should be the goal of everyone that groupfights end up with those ratios for systems to be active and people keep logging for PvP. By taking skill difference into account, be willing to lose, log the other side, give blues and fly into numerical or ship class disadvantage against weaker opponents. There's no mechanic for matchmaking, people need to do it themselves.

- Newer players should be respected and guided, encouraged instead of shat on.

This isn't on staff really, but us - the players

To that point, the most fun experiences I had in Disco were ones where we got anally screwed. 46th raid in Vespucci, SOME interactions during the siege in Colorado, the humongous hellish assault near WP when 90% of the server population logged on NY and all hell broke loose.

Those will be the fights I'll fondly remember when I eventually move on someday.

Mainly because the fun was in the moments during these huge fights where we got our chances to shine, to work together, to fly as teams, coordinate - with varied success - and to score some blues.

Matching skill difference in a game like freelancer is EZ in a 1v1 turning to a 1v3 because that one dude has 10 years ingame. Much harder in any setting with 6+ players

And those are unavoidable when factions are active. So the only solution is to balance the ratio with more set up fights, RP, etc. One of the reasons I complimented the events team.

Also Greylock always makes sense. Just that sometimes is memesense. In that count you both speak the same language.

(03-11-2021, 01:52 PM)Karlotta Wrote: I agree about the elitist attitude (held mainly by people whose greatest achievements in life lie within discovery), but just because one thing is more important doesn't mean you shouldn't do the other thing(s) too.

There is no 1 thing that will bring greater activity simply on its own. There are about 30 different things that will only significantly increase activity and fun if you do at least 25 of them combined.

And unless the "staff" finally decides to put a higher priority on:

- improving the game NOW instead of their usual snail pace which rejects everything done from people outside their friendclique

than they put on:

- self-aggrandizement by handing out doggy-treats to people who roll over for them

, those things will never happen in time.

What should also be done is to push for implementing things that everyone agrees with as s oon as possible, and only afterwards continue to squabble about things we dont agree on.

I don't know why I sense a lot of emotion going on on this answer but I dig you have your reasons. My point is we shouldn't wait for Devs to implement actually impactful changes on the server in a short time.

With anything with more than 5 people in it, you've got to manage expectations, opinions, assertions, that may be conflicting or cause conflict even if not against each other. Like someone said before in this thread -- "Ok, we implement this, now think about how you'd use it, and how your enemy would use it."

They have to balance that for every micro decision - from allowing an SRP to changing half of Gallia, which kinda screwed the times on my favorite trade run and I don't even touch Gallia except for that.

With that said, some changes can and shall be implemented fast - in all ends. I already suggested more community events - is there anything else we all agree on?