Discovery Gaming Community
new model of station - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: new model of station (/showthread.php?tid=18769)

Pages: 1 2 3

new model of station - Kambei - 04-03-2009

I am planing create completly new model of station (as replace of some freeports).

My plan is something biger than jugernaut because freeports are in fact cities in space (I'll try keep count of polygons as low as posible...).

I have 2 questions:

1. it is worthy of time?
2. are there any traps waiting for me? Is it much different than creation of ship? (I mean hardpoints and similar things)

new model of station - Benjamin - 04-03-2009

Uh yeah I don't know anything about the technical side of this, but 'worthy of time' from this players perspective would be a big yes. I love the huge stations, and most stations are wayyyy too small. How are 500 people living on something the size of four daggers end-to-end.

new model of station - Blackvertigo1 - 04-03-2009

Hmm... habitable station plus guns, thrusters, large engine, and big.
I think there's a word for that. -_-

new model of station - dr lameos - 04-03-2009

' Wrote:Hmm... habitable station plus guns, thrusters, large engine, and big.
I think there's a word for that. -_-
He doesn't mean as a ship, he means as an actual station model. I say yes yes please do, I'm really bored of seeing the same models, or rearranged versions of each other.

There were some other really good models already made, but I don't know what happened to those

new model of station - Knuthetal - 04-03-2009

How do I put this... I would praise you as my personal here if you pulled this off.

new model of station - Caribe - 04-03-2009

I beleive and I think Dab has mentiond it before that bases are modular. So make more lego pieces. :)

new model of station - Linkus - 04-03-2009

All bases are modular, simply chunks of models put together.
Bases really are just seperate pieces jammed together with a docking point put onto one part of the entire thing.

More lego pieces are always welcome.
They are far easier to make than ships since hardpoints are not needed etc.
What is required is a listing in the Solar.ini file, sur file on the model, textured model and well, the model in cmp/3db format.

In the end, if you want to stick with the Freelancer style then you would probably have to go with lego designs and not one giant station. (Like EVE etc)

EDIT: Oh and don't worry about poly counts. Freelancer gets worried at over 15k or so polys per single object.
A ship is counted as a single object.
Modular bases are not.
You could have one stretching over a planet and Freelancer would cope.

new model of station - jenya - 04-03-2009

is it possible to make a station with moving parts, such as huge gates?

new model of station - Linkus - 04-03-2009

Yes and no.
The animations in Freelancer are incredibly limited at the moment to certain triggers.
The actual animations are fine, it's just getting them to work.

People have made Defender wings fold and Rheinland ship wings move up and down but they need to use the 'eject cargo' animation trigger.

Station's have a similar one, a docking one.

So yes, it is possible to have huge gates. That is relatively easy infact.

The main issue is if you want other animations.

There's also the miner animation for the arms.

new model of station - tazuras - 04-03-2009

So you dont know how to create constant animations like the spinning gas things on those stations with the hole in the middle, like fort bush, or the rotating tower?

Also I was just looking through the developer blogs for free worlds and found this. It's a station from the mod broken down into it's components. Unlike FL stations its not really modular, at least not blatantly so, still may be helpful though.