Discovery Gaming Community
Survey Report & Suggestions - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Survey Report & Suggestions (/showthread.php?tid=188402)

Pages: 1 2

Survey Report & Suggestions - Hokan - 06-06-2021

Preamble:

Firstly, sorry for this taking so long. Going through 150+ responses took longer than I expected and then making the notes for what you will see also took me longer than I thought it would. Originally I aimed for the survey to be viewed just by the staff team to identify what the community feels are the more pressing issues driving people away and 'harvest' an understanding of what people believe are the most important elements that needed to be improved. I think it is fair to say that the staff are not fully surprised by the results, but the results definitely vindicate the the need for improvement.

Special thanks to everyone who has contributed their time and effort to the survey, as well as: @Contaan, @Skorak, and unwittingly @Haste for the further contribution of ideas and suggestions beyond what was said in the survey.

NOTE: Some things may seem contradictory, and that is typically because of mixed responses from the survey results.

Chart Refresh:

You can see the full results > > here < <

To begin in earnest, here is what you voted that is pushing people away:
  • Community (95 votes)
  • Lack of RP (72 votes)
  • Dev Team (43 votes)
  • Admin Team (35 votes)
  • Official Factions (34 votes)
  • Story (34 votes)
  • Forum Lancering (30 votes)
  • Player-Owned Bases (29 votes)
  • Server Rules (26 votes)
  • Requirement of RP (20 votes)
Also, here is what you voted for what to improve:
  • Events - Combat/Exploration/Trading (58 votes)
  • RP Quality (54 votes)
  • Story Quality (39 votes)
  • Balance (33 votes)
  • PvE Content (31 votes)
  • Vision (31 votes)
  • Staff Team (24 votes)
  • Money Sinks (22 votes)
  • OF Benefits (21 votes)
  • PoBs (16 votes)
  • Server Rules (12 votes)
  • Many of the ‘Other’ votes are ‘All’ votes along with things that will be explored later.

Moving forward:

Due to the amount of information that was given, and the need to keep this smaller in length and more presentable, I will be putting each section within spoilers so that people are not greeted by a massive wall of text.

Community:

RP & Gameplay:

It might seem strange to put these two in the same section, but hear me out. One of the main complaints in general is the lack of passive activity on the server and the lack of roleplay to boot. These two points are not exclusive, instead they are very much joined at the hip. The more passive activity you encourage, the greater chance of encountering RP. A potential consequence of not encouraging this can be seen with the RP seemingly only happening in any significant size or quality on the forums, otherwise known as forum-lancering.

Staff Team & Vision:

Story:

Official Factions:

Sever Rules & IDs:

Ending note:

If the number of responses are to be believed then there is over 100 people who are willing to take a survey on Discovery Freelancer and coincidentally to become reinvested into the server. I believe it's fair to say that Discovery has potential but people wish to see if it is truly worth their investment of time. Of course this also runs into two sides who disagree about one important element that the server advertises itself on, RP. The current climate and expectation of RP on Discovery are fairly low, with very little to no moderation unless someone reports it on the forums and even then this could potentially take months to resolve. Additionally, the minimal RP oversight sets the tone that the server merely parades itself as an RP server, but never takes itself seriously enough to be one. It becomes understandable that the path of least resistance keeps being taken, to not even bother with the game.

To conclude, there are a number of suggestions that are included in this thread that could improve Discovery overall without changing anything dramatically, although I doubt superficial changes would really do much to reverse the decline. It is now up to the community, staff included, to maintain the status quo or to push on and perhaps give Discovery another huzzah, preferably one lasting more than a COVID lockdown.

Lastly, this thread covers the most prominent responses but not all. So feel free to post alternative suggestions below if you have them.

RE: Survey Report & Suggestions - Karmotrine Dream - 06-06-2021

Spectacular work with this, Hokan! It did take a while, but it was definitely worth it.
Thanks for the survey, going through all the answers and compiling this exhaustive summary - now as you say, those suggestions should be carefully considered and changes made where possible, and this includes us the players as well.

One note about the community - it's been noted in the other topics as well, it's well known by most players, it's the major sore spot that needs addressing and it's also one where rules can only go so far.
Taking a clear stance against toxicity and offensive behaviour via rules is good and all, but ideally there shouldn't be need of sanctions, and to get there us the players ourselves must be the first to treat your fellow player with more respect and consideration.
As aptly stated in the summary, 'there can be conflict without being assholes to one another', and there can be criticism without tearing someone apart; conversely, honest praise and kind words are always welcome, so don't be afraid to give them!

Basically, when it comes to things like communities, if you sincerely want to make them a better place to be in - you have to be the change you want to see, if you'll excuse the trite (though true, I feel) expression.
tl;dr: be excellent to each other and party on, dudes.

RE: Survey Report & Suggestions - Hokan - 06-06-2021

(06-06-2021, 01:45 PM)Karmotrine Dream Wrote: tl;dr: be excellent to each other and party on, dudes.

I'm optimistic (sun)

RE: Survey Report & Suggestions - Chuba - 06-07-2021

(06-06-2021, 12:14 AM)Hokan Wrote: [*]Actual matchmaking - Again, I am not sure of the feasibility of this. We all see everyone loitering in Conn, often dueling their friends and not really wanting to spar with newer or less experienced people too frequently. Perhaps there may be a way to set-up two teams automatically for a fight in conn away from the rest of the players. A regular 4v4 that people can jump into, to better their skills without the need to duel or concerns of RP might go a long way to reduce the skill gap. This has the added problem of encouraging more people to stay in conn, and get group fights this way instead of looking to RP and see one develop.

[*]Consider the removal of Nanobots and adjust balance accordingly,

Some explanation for the “Extreme & Radical” example: One of the greatest tools currently in use to avoid taking damage in almost all PvP is strafing. Although the removal of it will have major consequences, it would in theory allow newer players to deal more damage to better players, but also means more can be dealt to them. Testing with it may produce better results..

lol lmao

pandering: the game

take away and all learning curve from the game

sad

RE: Survey Report & Suggestions - Typrop - 06-07-2021

if your bbcode was meant to prevent quoting then it worked

heavy decision 2 when

lol

lamal

RE: Survey Report & Suggestions - Corile - 06-07-2021

The fact that the results and conclusions of the survey presented in this thread are not discussed apart and flamed over seems to me like the best indication that nobody really cares anymore. Back in the day those sorts of threads would rack up 15 pages of replies in a day, now it's mere three posts. I certainly don't care much anymore, but I will try to muster up a spark of interest to share some outside observations. I haven't played this game much in the last three years mostly being busy with irl, but also because it's definitely taken a turn for the worse in a grand scheme of things (it's better than when Durandal was around, but definitely worse than a year-two before that).

I should mention my reasons for still playing this game: the practice in speed typing that rping in game gives me, the ability to practice my English both in terms of writing stories, worldbuilding content and in game rp, the ability to develop a character through player interaction. I stopped giving much of a damn about PvP, which is why I retired or will soon retire most of my PvP-centered chars (bounty hunters, warriors, etc). The reasons for that I will explain later down.

Anyway, let's talk about this.

Quote:The community should be nicer to each other,
The community should stop bullying other members,
The community should stop circle-jerking,
The community should stop taking an exclusionary attitude,
The community thinks everyone else but themselves are stupid,
The community should be more willing to change its attitude,

Quote:More frequent punishment for bad behaviour,
Punishments to stretch across all of the official Discovery Freelancer platforms. The Forum, the Discord, and the Game.

This is all the same thing and basically means "boo hoo people are mean".
Yeah. Welcome to the internet.
How do you solve it? Encourage anon gameplay. People change their attitude if they know who is behind a character. Keeping anonymity is really tough long-term, it should be encouraged. It can only really happen if some conventions are adjusted in the community as a whole but it probably can be done. It's difficult on discord, because you can't anonymously message the owner of another character, but I don't know of a platform that would allow you to do that. Maybe IRC, but good luck getting people to use IRC. We need more factions like the LH~.

People aren't going to change much and if you try to impose it, they will just leave or circlejerk more in external discord servers.
Nothing interesting ever happens on the official Discovery Discord. Nothing interesting ever is going to happen if you tighten the rules on what people want to say. Sometimes we want to argue just to argue. People rarely if ever answer new player questions on the discord anyway, especially those that require more than 2 lines of invested writing.
Maybe we should bring back the Angels.

Quote:The community believe PvP Aces ruin engagements,
Quote:Community prides itself on stomping on newer or less skilled players,
Community doesn’t try to balance sides,
Quote:People log to PvP instead of RP’ing,
Quote:Skill gap in PvP too large,
Quote:Tech cells are bad,
Bomber rework is bad / Bomber rework is good (around equal measure),
Balance decisions orientate around the few not the many,
Ships feel too similar,
PvP takes too long,
Make more cool things,
Make it easier for newer players to contribute to fights.
Quote:Balance instead for the many, not the few (Disco focus should be on RP, not the competitive scene. An extreme and radical example would be to remove strafe),
Consider the removal of Nanobots and adjust balance accordingly,

I've said it before an I'll say it again: the balance changes and their consequences within the last five years have been a disaster for discovery freelancer. The core of the problem is that some people watched the extracredits video on "perfect imbalance" and thought it would be a good idea to implement league of legends mechanics into a 2003 arcade shooter. The golden age of snub discovery PvP has been Kusari in early 2015 when everyone flew basically the same heavy fighter, there were nukes and instakills possible, and everything was very skillful, dynamic, engaging and fun.

The changes to make snub pvp first more skillful (reduction of the role of mines, nerfing fast-firing weapons in favour of shotguns/4.00s, ), then more varied (aux slots), then more balanced (removal of aux slots and instakill possibilities, averaging of gun efficiencies efficiencies, ammo reductions) and finally less skillful (weapons for idiots like missiles that discourage solo gameplay, wardogs which are literally a nail in the coffin for anyone who doesn't want to fly shotgun, balancing different loadouts against each other) demonstrate no long-term vision and ultimately encourage circlejerking. Flattening of the learning curve of pvp only means that the people who able to log more people are going to win the engagements. Sure, a part of it is etiquette, but at this point there really is no reason to log if you see that you don't have equal numbers. It's a prisoner's dilemma and the winning move is not to play.

Also the fact that there is interaction between capital ships and snubs is nonsensical. Vhfs should not be able to kill caps, caps should not be able to kill vhfs. The only touchpoint between these classes should be bombers, which after the rework are and should be underdogs against both and that actually seems really nice. Just remove solaris turrets and we're practically there.

Quote:Smuggling is high risk, low reward

It isn't unless you're going to Manhattan. Especially for factions which can often apply for licenses on contraband goods and these are almost always granted. The rewards should be higher though, especially for destinations which have a larger player base (New York).

Anyway, on the broader point of economy, I've suggested a solution which has worked wonders on HHC and has never been properly implemented or even considered on Discovery, and that is webmissions/clanmissions. A description of clanmissions is here: https://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=124259&pid=1616777#pid1616777

Web missions worked the same in that you docked on a base and were presented with a random list of destinations and commodities. Delivering the commodities successfully gained a percentage boost to income, but the catch was that when you started a web mission the entire server got a hook message that you started a mission and with which commodity, so they could get ready to intercept.

There also were a set of stock missions (I think one of the most popular was taking VIPs from Manhattan to Unknown Gamma, but that also had the added complexity of PvE danger, there were other ones though, like hauling Gold from Dublin or Fertilizers from Hamburg to Crete) that always had a set commodity, starting point and destination which yielded more but were also easier to intercept.

Quote:Perhaps allow OFs to purchase unique ships/equipment with cosmetic changes for their factionlines

if i can get white and gold titans for Custodi i might start caring about this place a little bit more

Quote:The Story is bad,
The Story is stagnant,
Team is incompetent,
No consequence in the story,
Nothing happens unless its war,
Lacks direction,
Too biased towards Houses and major factions,
Team doesn’t have a point of contact and responsibility for requests relating to story or the team,
Not everyone needs a fleet,
Factions should not be balanced with each other.

It seems to me like everyone who's ever touched the story is in the same headspace and as such nothing original has ever happened. We are stuck with the same factions fighting the same other factions and everything is stuck. And when a story arc finishes the changes are either inconsequential or the consequences are drawn out so badly that most people are upset.

This is a game that puts historical nations into space. Why not put historical events into space? Gallia was defeated by a revolution, why don't we have a Napoleon? Bretonia is a monarchy, why don't we have a succession crisis (space france and space england, seems a perfect place for trying to institute a personal union)? Liberty has an insurgency, why don't we have a secession? (Although in this case slavery might be a touchy subject but maybe legalisation of cardamine?)

Unfortunately the strive for originality in Discovery doesn't work because of the lack of leadership everything is eeeeeeeeeeeeh, not very consistent. But if you have a historical template to work from you don't really need much vision because the vision is already there, you just need to make it fit the universe and there is a lot of room for creativity there.

Quote:Revamp the OF system by introducing more tangible benefits and rewards that encourage certain behaviour / interaction,
Give OFs unique access to cosmetically different ships for their faction ships.
Remove the activity requirement from OFs, and replace it with a subjective RP requirement instead,
Require that the RP be done in-game as opposed to on the forums. Activity tracker at the moment seems to be used as a substitute for in-game RP by those who oversee officialdom.

There are certain IDs that don't offer much in-game benefit but would work great as a party to RP with on the forums. It might be a good idea to start treating the forums as an integral part of the game because this is, by your own admission, where a lot of the good RP happens.

Ok anyway, i spent more time than I intended to on this poast, hope you take something from it and use it to make disco better :tm:. I know you won't.

RE: Survey Report & Suggestions - Thunderer - 06-07-2021

(06-07-2021, 07:26 PM)Corile Wrote: Gallia was defeated by a revolution, why don't we have a Napoleon?

@Val Get to work, last 18th Brumaire was a disappointment in comparison to your promises

RE: Survey Report & Suggestions - Erremnart - 06-07-2021

Very nice survey summary and I agree with most of the points. In my opinion, the lack of interesting encounters ingame is what most people drives away. Discovery is labeled as RP server, yet it's quite difficult to develop one's character purely ingame - it's mostly done on forums and that gives less reasons to spend too much time ingame.

Myself, unless I play some generic ID - in which case I'm mostly ignored - I find ingame encounters predictable in 90% of times and most factions just feel that all they do is to exist. I don't think it's needed to add some complex game mechanism to remedy that, but just state faction's current objectives and make some adjustments ingame to reflect that - like offline Rochester like Xenos pulled off. Just some stuff to talk about inRP. Save for few examples, Sirius feels stale.

And when speaking about stale Sirius - I find factions' relations to be too inflexible and they take too long to change. I understand that we want to stick close to the vanilla's lore whenever possible, but even inRL allegiances change quickly depending on the geopolitical situation and I think that something like that could bring some fresh air. After all, in order to not be 'red', factions don't have to be inline 100% with each other's philosophies - they don't even need to change them if they can't for various reasons - all they need to do is to shift their priorities to much more pressing matters.

And I've noticed from other more RP oriented players, that Bounty Boards ruin the game for them. I personally don't have issues with them and I don't think that bounty boards are themselves a bad idea to their core, but what about changing them a little - removing blanket bounties for whole faction save for individual bounties for actual witnessed crimes? Maybe that would bring some more variety ingame in actual need to witness the crime (like piracy or any other act of aggression) while alloying milder/fresh 'reds' to not get hunted just because of their ID/tag?
I dunno, probably not the most realistic idea, but it could serve as a compromise between those two groups + it could add reasons for ingame patrols/scouts. And could be flavored by things like crimes for actual bounties can only be reported by ship which witnessed them and survived.

I think that anything that could allow players/groups/factions to have more control over their 'story' without needing an actual SRPs could be a good move when done properly.

RE: Survey Report & Suggestions - Machelvanius - 06-08-2021

This response to the survey is one that gives me hope for Discovery Freelancer. This is the last of the Freelancer servers I believe, other than a few with no population.

I don't want to see this game go away. I've played it for years and started playing here about 10 years ago, although I made this forum account about 8 years ago.

I don't assume to know what needs to be changed, but this response was very exhaustive and well worth the read.

Thanks for doing this, @Hokan. It looks like a good health check for the community as well as the leadership team to me.

RE: Survey Report & Suggestions - Toaster - 06-08-2021

Thanks @Hokan for all the effort you put into the survey and compiling the results. It's nice to see that there's still a sizable number of community members who seem to care about the mod. Here's hoping that staff takes the results to heart and we see some improvements.