Discovery Gaming Community
Admin Notice: Techcompat Overhaul - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: News and Announcements (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Admin Notice: Techcompat Overhaul (/showthread.php?tid=188570)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Admin Notice: Techcompat Overhaul - aerelm - 06-18-2021

Disclaimer: This is the initial trial run for a system we're hoping to develop further, so everything posted under the new system is still subject to change as we test things out. Also, there are currently a couple of technical limitations with the plugin that require some restrictions applied to the approved characters. Hopfully if the trial run is considered successful, we'll be looking into expanding the plugin to allow for a more streamlined and convenient techperm system in future.

Before the current techcompat system, technology use was governed through a different system where official factions were able to grant access to their technology to individuals and groups, but flying unapproved tech could result in a sanction. That system was removed in favor of the automated techcompat system we've had in place in more recent years, which provides more choice for players without having to worry about sanctions, long as they're fine with the powercore reduction.

This new system is hoping to provide a "best of both worlds" hybrid of the two systems where technology can be freely used by any player, but players will now also have the option to roleplay the acquisition of the tech with official factions to upgrade their powercore to 100% through the new Techexempt system. Under the new system, removal of the powercore reduction is being split from the standard SRP system and introduced as a separate request system, primarily handled by official factions. Requirements for the new system will be much more lax than standard SRPs, and the normal SRP fee does not apply.

You can read the full details of the system in Techcompat Exemption Regulations and Application Form thread, but here's a quick summary of the changes:

• Players now have the option to gain permission from owning official factions to upgrade a 75% loadout to 100% powercore.

• 90% powercore cells are removed from techcompat (with the exception of "defector" factions).

• All previous 90% House Civilian techcells are updated to 100% on all IDs.

• All previous 90% Faction Weapons techcells are updated to 100% on all IDs.

• All previous 90% Close Allies techcells are updated to 100% on all IDs.

• All previous 90% Lawful techcells are updated to 100% on Official Corporate IDs.

• Other previous 90% Faction Ships techcells are updated to 75% on all IDs.

• Roughly 600 of previous 10% cells updated to 75% or 100% across various IDs.

If you notice any inconsistencies/oversights in the chart, or if you're a faction HC who feels the new arrangement of your cells doesn't reflect the diplo of your faction well enough, all you need to do is drop a post here and it'll get a review. Thank you.

The powercore changes listed in the new techcompat will take effect after the following daily restart. The chart is always the most updated version, so if you notice any discrepancies between the linked chart and the ingame powercores, it means the changes listed aren't live yet.

RE: Admin Notice: Techcompat Overhaul - Czechmate - 06-19-2021

Well the issue is if there's no Of - it's impossible to gain permission I think? What if one OF agrees tech share with a non-of in rp, only the Non-OF gets the cell and they will not be reciprocal?

Also RIP mollys, selling My RHA ships Big Grin

RE: Admin Notice: Techcompat Overhaul - TheSauron - 06-19-2021

This is the exact opposite of what people meant by saying 90% should be gone.

RE: Admin Notice: Techcompat Overhaul - aerelm - 06-19-2021

(06-19-2021, 12:13 AM)Relation-Ship Wrote: Well the issue is if there's no Of - it's impossible to gain permission I think?
(06-18-2021, 11:47 PM)aerelm Wrote: In cases where 75% technology cells have no official player faction representing them, 100% powercore access can be requested through any official faction allied to the tech owner, but the roleplay does not require to involve the allied faction. These requests will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis by the staff.

RE: Admin Notice: Techcompat Overhaul - Megaera - 06-19-2021

All previous 90% Faction Ships techcells are updated to 75% on all IDs.

This is truly what disco needs right now.
Fyi, the player population didn't go over 30 today.

How will you handle situations where the two unofficial groups have no shared allied officials to mediate a mutual exchange?

Also, character cap for factions? Really?

RE: Admin Notice: Techcompat Overhaul - Kauket - 06-19-2021

(06-19-2021, 12:22 AM)TheSauron Wrote: Also, character cap for factions? Really?
I think the cap is for unofficial factions.

(06-19-2021, 12:26 AM)Kauket Wrote:
(06-19-2021, 12:22 AM)TheSauron Wrote: Also, character cap for factions? Really?
I think the cap is for unofficial factions.

I know. It's still a dumb idea in my personal opinion.

RE: Admin Notice: Techcompat Overhaul - Czechmate - 06-19-2021

I have to agree that the 90 to 75 on many historic tech cells and needing to scramble OFs not even involved in rp, limits for non-of is well...

You do you guys I guess. Forced RP and needing to call totally uninvolved buddies to get back tech cells present for years isn't exactly what this server needs.

RE: Admin Notice: Techcompat Overhaul - aerelm - 06-19-2021

(06-19-2021, 12:22 AM)TheSauron Wrote: How will you handle situations where the two unofficial groups have no shared allied officials to mediate a mutual exchange?
In a case where neither of the IDs nor any of their allied IDs have any official faction representing them, the two unofficial groups can do their RP and once its ready to be submitted just tell the staff that's the situation, and I'm sure we can arrange some "near enough" alternative depending on the involved factions' diplos.

It's one of the mentioned technical limitations we have to work around for now. The plugin currently doesn't have the ability to give techexempt to tags, only specific charnames, so for the time being uncapped access unfortunately has to be limited to official factions (where we can handle it through their OF ID techcompat rather than the techexempt system), but if the trial run is successful and the system turns out to be worth keeping, we'll definitely be lookin into expanding that to allow for tags so unofficial groups can make full use of the techexempt system too.

(06-19-2021, 12:42 AM)Relation-Ship Wrote: needing to call totally uninvolved buddies to get back tech cells present for years
(06-18-2021, 11:54 PM)aerelm Wrote: if you're a faction HC who feels the new arrangement of your cells doesn't reflect the diplo of your faction well enough, all you need to do is drop a post here and it'll get a review. Thank you.