Discovery Gaming Community
Utilising only 0.1% of the playerbase? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Rules & Requests (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Site & Forum Feedback (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Utilising only 0.1% of the playerbase? (/showthread.php?tid=188960)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Utilising only 0.1% of the playerbase? - ronillon - 07-17-2021

Sure, prepare a nice email and a forum landing post where you send people from the mail.
Something with screenshots and videos to show the atmosphere and showcase the current features.

RE: Utilising only 0.1% of the playerbase? - Hidamari - 07-18-2021

Its just called Marketing.

Have you ever seen absolute trash products get in front of your eyeballs repeatedly? thats because whoever owns that product has a really good marketing team OR is hiring one if they dont want to have one on staff.

Discovery needs a Marketing team who is responsible for taking and editing together videos and other material to promote the mod in the wider online world.

If you dont want to do that then hire an outside company, get costs and estimates then perhaps ask the forum community if they would be willing to crowd fund the effort.

Imagine having a new golden age in 2021

Even if we assume that everybody that ever played has 3 alt accounts, thats still 9000+ people, I think a newsletter to all current forum members should be the way to go as a start.

Its always easier to re-attract your current or previous audience members rather than looking for completely new people.

RE: Utilising only 0.1% of the playerbase? - Selken - 07-18-2021

I don't think there is one person who can argue effectively against this idea... I'd say keep bumping the thread until someone gets annoyed enough to actually do it

(Except maybe the hiring a marketing team. That sounds like too much)

RE: Utilising only 0.1% of the playerbase? - Reeves - 07-23-2021

I've brought this up with the Head Developers and strongly urged them to make preparations relating to this their number one priority. If all goes well, this should be capitalized on soon.

RE: Utilising only 0.1% of the playerbase? - The_Godslayer - 07-23-2021

Interesting idea. Best of luck, though I foresee many account settings being changed to "do not email".

RE: Utilising only 0.1% of the playerbase? - monmarfori - 08-16-2021

Has this been utilized already?

RE: Utilising only 0.1% of the playerbase? - Starfliers - 08-16-2021

(07-23-2021, 10:07 AM)Reeves Wrote: I've brought this up with the Head Developers and strongly urged them to make preparations relating to this their number one priority. If all goes well, this should be capitalized on soon.

I second this idea altogether. If the newsletter does get approved and created, the prospect of an increased server population is looking good to say the least.

Also, make the newsletter look ~fancy~ Big Grin

RE: Utilising only 0.1% of the playerbase? - Saronsen - 08-16-2021

oh look another email on my spam account i wont ever read

RE: Utilising only 0.1% of the playerbase? - ronillon - 08-16-2021

(08-16-2021, 06:10 PM)Saronsen Wrote: oh look another email on my spam account i wont ever read
That is quiet possible outcome for a decent amount of emails, still worth a try imo.

But it brings up another possible issue:
The email newsletter or whatever we are going to call it might end up in SPAM, Promoactions, Social media etc. junk folders. It should be tested on common email services beforehand to avoid this.

In my opinion it should not come out as a typical newsletter, but rather like a more personal, community oriented message.
But I might be wrong about that. Maybe the way to go is something like:
Either way, it might help if it was coupled with some interesting news/story progression, new war perhaps?

All in all this needs to be executed carefully, thought trough, because it is not like we can repeat it often without coming of as spam.

RE: Utilising only 0.1% of the playerbase? - Uknown - 09-06-2021

Or we can just use Twitch, FbLive and Youtube Live to "Stream" the game like "Playing Discovery Freelancer", get some people and make them play as together as possible, show them the game is still "alive" and there are players in the game ...
That would obviously call attention, even if only 30 people stream the game ... you can invite friends too (My friends in a small group for example has an offer, get a Heavy Transport/Destroyer for them to play, the only request i get is that they show me have finished the campaign so they know at least basics and read the server rules, that is all :3 i have came with 2 friends, (pretty damn low i know) but is good to know they are interested ... so ... i belive that is a nice way to "attract" people to game in our server ...