Discovery Gaming Community
PC won't start with new GPU - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Real Life Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+---- Forum: Software & Hardware (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+---- Thread: PC won't start with new GPU (/showthread.php?tid=188988)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: PC won't start with new GPU - Thunderer - 07-21-2021

Downloaded BIOS FId. The GPU works now, apparently. I am downloading the driver right now. Thanks for the help, I'll note down who not to Wesker when I get 150 FPS.

RE: PC won't start with new GPU - ronillon - 07-21-2021

(07-21-2021, 03:28 PM)Thunderer Wrote: Downloaded BIOS FId. The GPU works now, apparently. I am downloading the driver right now. Thanks for the help, I'll note down who not to Wesker when I get 150 FPS.

Nice, I told you it should be compatible. Glad you got it working.

You should consider upgrading your OS though. Like Skorak said, Windows 10 keys can be bought pretty cheap, I got mine for 5 Euro from auction site.

If Windows 7 being past support date does not convince you, 32bit only allowing 4GB of RAM should. Plus if you get another RAM module, they will run in dual-channel, which means they will be faster. And they can be dirty cheap when bought second hand.

RAM isn't that expensive, I'd have bought more earlier if I knew legit win 10 could be acquired so cheaply. 32 bit Windows limit is not even 4 GB, it's 3.2.

Meanwhile, the GPU runs quite fine. I get over 20 FPS in Attila total war with high settings and large units. Going to take a look at how I can cap my FPS in Disco to 120.

(07-21-2021, 05:45 PM)Thunderer Wrote: RAM isn't that expensive, I'd have bought more earlier if I knew legit win 10 could be acquired so cheaply. 32 bit Windows limit is not even 4 GB, it's 3.2.

Meanwhile, the GPU runs quite fine. I get over 20 FPS in Attila total war with high settings and large units. Going to take a look at how I can cap my FPS in Disco to 120.

Well the 4GBs is just a theoretical limit. It can be cut down further for various reasons. One of them is RAM being assigned as a memory for graphic card. Check your BIOS settings. Your integrated GPU was using the RAM, but now that you have dedicated GPU it is no longer needed but the setting might still be in effect.

For FPS try this guide: https://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=145825

Also you wrote about being reluctant to reinstall windows. You might consider getting an SSD if you do not already have one and installing W10 on that.
That way you will have Win7 as a fallback option until you are satisfied with your new OS. And won't have to deal with data backup during OS install. OS installs are always a bit of a risky business and having backups in some form is always a good idea.

In the end you will end up with fast OS drive which will do wonders for OS responsiveness, starting times etc. particularly with the low amount of ram you have. Having a pagefile on an SSD will also help a lot and will partially make up for the low ram. SSD might actually help more than the ram in your current situation.

And your current drive will serve as data drive for backup and archive. So the SSD does not have to be big.

In your situation I would personally go for New OS + SSD first and then for an additional RAM.

My current SSD is partitioned in two parts. One is 80 GB and serves for the OS and program files, the other is 385 GB and serves as an archive where I store pictures, pdfs, games, unessential programmes, etc. Perhaps I could store my backup in the latter instead of buying a new one?

RE: PC won't start with new GPU - Groshyr - 07-21-2021

Someone should fix Lutris' Disco so there would be ez one click install for Linux instead of hacking intensifies tbh Sad

RE: PC won't start with new GPU - Miaou - 07-21-2021

(07-21-2021, 07:31 PM)Groshyr Wrote: Someone should fix Lutris' Disco so there would be ez one click install for Linux instead of hacking intensifies tbh Sad

stop using linux you neckbeard

RE: PC won't start with new GPU - Groshyr - 07-21-2021

(07-21-2021, 07:41 PM)Miaou Wrote:
(07-21-2021, 07:31 PM)Groshyr Wrote: Someone should fix Lutris' Disco so there would be ez one click install for Linux instead of hacking intensifies tbh Sad

stop using linux you neckbeard

No, I like it

He likes beards too.

(07-21-2021, 07:27 PM)Thunderer Wrote: My current SSD is partitioned in two parts. One is 80 GB and serves for the OS and program files, the other is 385 GB and serves as an archive where I store pictures, pdfs, games, unessential programmes, etc. Perhaps I could store my backup in the latter instead of buying a new one?

Well if you already have an SSD there is not much point buying a new one just for backing up data. But if you feel like you could use more space, then why not. Although for data storage HDD is cheaper.

Sure, you can copy all the user data (or back up whole OS partition using software booted from USB, I use Acronis but you can use free Clonezilla or others) to the DATA partition. Then make a new installation or upgrade (this way you can keep all your personal data, installed programs and most of the settings) on the OS partition.

But if you make a mistake during installation (or the installation itself screws up for some reason) you could loose the data (on the whole drive). To be safe it is best to backup on a different physical drive, ideally one that is not connected to your PC during the installation.

It depends on what you have on your PC and how many critical data you need to backup. I personally keep a backup of my critical data on an external HDD that is not connected to my PC all the time and update this backup every couple months.

Another option might be to copy the backup (either just critical data or whole OS/DATA partition backup) to another PC over LAN.