Discovery Gaming Community
Book features story close to Disco/Freelancer? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Book features story close to Disco/Freelancer? (/showthread.php?tid=190047)

Book features story close to Disco/Freelancer? - nagi - 10-13-2021

Hey everyone,
I'm looking for recommendations about any story books/movies/audible that features arcs/stories similar to the original freelancer story.

RE: Book features story close to Disco/Freelancer? - Binski - 10-14-2021

Howdy mate,

A few old favs came to mind for me. I found a Wing Commander novel at a 2nd hand shop years ago that was pretty good, there is a whole series. They eventually made a movie too!

[Image: 51ezos44wEL.jpg]

This version of Space Battleship Yamoto is pretty sweet, excellent effects.

This is very similar to Freelancer whereas they are forced to leave Earth as its destroyed by aliens and humans scatter across the galaxy. The aliens are very much like the Nomads.

There is also more well known shows of recent years, Firefly comes to mind, as well as Dark Matter (ship looks just like the Serenity link), Battlestar Galactica. I found a box of dvd's on the side of the road with the whole Firefly series back in 2011 and afterwards went looking for the most recent Freelancer mod I could find, and it turned out to be Discovery Freelancer (back when the Firefly was still available!).

RE: Book features story close to Disco/Freelancer? - Binski - 10-14-2021

Had to doublepost for this since a few came to mind and you can only post 3 vids per post, but had to throw in the Heavy Metal animated movies, that have a lot of really good animated characters.

This is the later version of Heavy Metal, its a similar space world where they use 'warp gates' like FL's jump gates.

The Lost In Space movie started out in a very Starlancer atmosphere with Earth split between the United Global Space Force, and the 'Global Sedition', who are a bit of a mix of Outcasts and Xenos. The Hypergate is similar to the supergate concept. This battle seems very FL to me.

I forgot to mention that Frank Herbert's Dune is also an obvious Freelancer inspiration, the 1984 version is amazing and I hear the new one is good too but I haven't seen it yet. Dune started as a novel and has an extensive backstory. I also should mention Stargate SG1/Atlantis/Universe, they had similar capital ships (carriers) and fighters, space gates, etc.

RE: Book features story close to Disco/Freelancer? - Jonathan Seabourne - 10-14-2021

If you're looking books about the vibe of being a freelancer, I've really enjoyed Becky Chambers's Wayfarer series. In it, Humanity had to flee Earth due to environmental reasons where we stumbled across the space UN and have been reluctantly welcomed in as refugees. "The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet" is about a ship trying to make an FTL tunnel to a new member about which the galactic commons has even more reservations. "Record of a Spaceborne Few" is about the humans still aboard the fleet that left Earth coming to terms with humanity's new place in the universe. Both have great world building and fun yet deep characters.