Discovery Gaming Community
i want to make a merc - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: i want to make a merc (/showthread.php?tid=19060)

Pages: 1 2 3

i want to make a merc - ian - 04-09-2009

he will mainly operate around Bretonia, Tau's and anywhere someone has employed to goto

i was thinking of the Charon but it's power is pretty low and wouldent be able to last long in a fight, the Kiith Somtaw SHF is too slow and wouldent be good against a VHF, i dont want the Ravens Talon again as i already fly one and would like a change and at the moment that seems to making me veer more towards the Virage but unsure if there is a better alternative (such as the old Talon before it was taken out)

also it isnt going to be using Codes or MR/Torps at all

i want to make a merc - Thexare - 04-09-2009

Damn. No codes, no torps, and no mini razor?

That's gonna be some slow damage in a fight.

The Crow has great turning (on par with many LFs) and nice firepower (two class 8, four class 9, one forward class 5 turret), along with decent armor. Its main drawback is size.

The Eagle's always an option, though you're really going to need a missile to get any power out of it if you're not using a Mini or a torp.

The Sabre's an option, as well, though it does tend to carry an unlawful connotation.

The Charon actually has a respectable powerplant, 11,400. This is the same as the Sabre. As far as I can tell, it has a relatively low profile, too; not the greatest armor, but not a very large target either.

The Touketsu/Kushan VHF may be worth a look, an even larger powerplant than the Charon and Sabre. However, half its weapons are turrets and I don't know which way they shoot.

The Stinger is a civilian ship now, not IMG/GMG.

The Marauder is horrible for burst damage without missiles, having 2 class 7, 2 class 8, and 2 class 9 guns. However, it has a very nice plant for its class, able to sustain fire for quite an extended period. It's really better if you're willing to use a Razor with it, as far as I can tell. Tricky to use due to its shape, but it's a pretty good ship when you get a handle on it.

i want to make a merc - Tarkis - 04-10-2009

I'd recommend the Crow, Eagle, or Zoner GB.

The Crow has beautiful weapon locations, and that forward firing turret Thexare mentioned, along with it's amazing turn speed. It's an import, but...one of the more acceptable ones, imo.

The Eagle is just the most simple ship to have.
No one asks any questions, it doesn't signify you as more unlawful or lawful, and it's not a bad ship.
There are only two things I dislike about the Eagle.
The wide weapon spread, due to it's wings and hardpoint locations, and those disgusting missing hull panels on its sides. I HATE those so much, you have no idea.
The forward facing fin is also pretty annoying...

Which reminds me that you could also get the Roc.
All the beauty of the Eagle, with proper facing fins, and no missing panels!

The Zoner GB is nice because you get to use a cap, without being hated for it.
It's weak as far as gunboats go, but should have no problem taking out anything less than a bomber, assuming you don't come across any of the more amazing pilots on the server.

i want to make a merc - ian - 04-10-2009

hmm ok so im leaning more towards the Crow here:)i also like how it looks so that is a boost heh

i'll give it a test run later on openSP:)

has anyone flown the Kiith Somtaw Heavy Fighter?

oh and as for the Zoner GB: no thanks:Ddespite being a fan of cap ships the GB, any GB, is pretty much the only ship-class i am not good with at all hehe

and instead of a MR/torp i am going to go with Class 10 missiles:)the reason i dont want the MR is because of it's power requirment and i presume it would pretty much suck all of a HF's power in one shot

i want to make a merc - Jinx - 04-10-2009

the KS HF was exceptionally agile in 4.84 ( dunno if it was changed ) - but it was a massive target ( box ) - and the worst thing of all... the camera was set so close that it would obstruct your view by being as large as half the screen.

other than that - it is comparable with a hammerhead, a little more firepower for a larger ship. - the design is ... well.. if you like it - but its simple.

if the camera was fixed ( dunno - i haven t checked during the closed beta ) then its a good ship to use.... if it was not fixed yet.... its horrible and i suggest not to use it

i want to make a merc - Thexare - 04-10-2009

' Wrote:and instead of a MR/torp i am going to go with Class 10 missiles:)the reason i dont want the MR is because of it's power requirment and i presume it would pretty much suck all of a HF's power in one shot
Can't use a class 10 missile on a Crow, it maxes at class 9. Luckily for you, the Cannonball is class 9.

i want to make a merc - Neikon - 04-10-2009

I have a Merc myself, flying a Virage. And I can definately say it's a pretty awesome ship, nice and fast, and more energy than an Eagle. I use a 6 kraken setup on it, as I'm sort of affiliated with the Outcasts.

6 krakens, starkiller torp = win against bombers and other fighters.

The Virage is great to outturn every other fighter (if you can pvp a bit atleast) and shoot them in the back.

i want to make a merc - farmerman - 04-10-2009

I am a big fan of the Crow. Depending on the type of guns you use, I think it could work out extra well. I'd definitely suggest it. I have heard good things about the Charon though. What about the Raven Talon, too, as a possibility?

I am a big fan of the Crow. Depending on the type of guns you use, I think it could work out extra well. I'd definitely suggest it. I have heard good things about the Charon though. What about the Raven Talon, too, as a possibility?

i want to make a merc - ian - 04-10-2009

yeah i just tested the Virage:Dmanaged to take out 6 zoner gaurds compared to 1 IMG gaurd in the Charon heh

testd the crow aswell but although it is good the main problem is it's selling locations:(

Xeno Gaurd system, Omicron Eta, Lorraine and Nagano (Famers Alliance system):(which are not really easy place's to fly around to get it

as for the Ravens Talon: as i said originally i want a change of ship heh i fly it enough as my IMG pilot:P

i want to make a merc - farmerman - 04-10-2009

' Wrote:yeah i just tested the Virage:Dmanaged to take out 6 zoner gaurds compared to 1 IMG gaurd in the Charon heh

testd the crow aswell but although it is good the main problem is it's selling locations:(

Xeno Gaurd system, Omicron Eta, Lorraine and Nagano (Famers Alliance system):(which are not really easy place's to fly around to get it

as for the Ravens Talon: as i said originally i want a change of ship heh i fly it enough as my IMG pilot:P

As to the RT, oh, right! Heh, oops, overlooked that part.

Doesn't the Crow sell at the Barrier Gate place? That's a great place for a mercenary to visit, really.