Discovery Gaming Community
"Unfair" PVP - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: "Unfair" PVP (/showthread.php?tid=191469)

Pages: 1 2 3

"Unfair" PVP - Lusitano - 02-12-2022

Not long ago, one of my trade ships was pirated by a bomber and a gunboat, the gunboat left to try to extort other transport, and left me and the bomber, i refused to pay and the fight started, i was kicking that bomber backside with my little transport, until the gunboat return and helped the bomber, and i lost, in other words i lost a unfair combat, but .. i didn't went to cry to that faction page, i took it as part of the game, even if i didn't like it, and if i was in that gunboat place, i most likely did the same. this is about that crap thing of people always cry about " unfair" battles because they lost while outnumber or outgunned, but if they still won, despite the odds, i bet they would n't say a single word. so stop that, it only makes the community more toxic, and don't forget ... it is just a game. you lost? maybe next time you win.

i don't expect replies so, take care, have fun and stay safe.

RE: "Unfair" PVP - Karlotta - 02-12-2022

(02-12-2022, 06:38 PM)Lusitano Wrote: this is about that crap thing of people always cry about " unfair" battles because they lost while outnumber or outgunned, but if they still won, despite the odds, i bet they would n't say a single word.

It's actually worse than that in disco.

Certain circles even complain when they were outnumbered and outgunned at one point in a fight, even if they ended up winning the fight without losing a single ship.

And that was during an event where the 2 individuals who complained the loudest about other people being unfair were also the individuals who had the highest kill/death ratio, and the people they complained about were all the way at the bottom.

Both of them also ended up becoming disco staff.

RE: "Unfair" PVP - LordBuglette - 02-12-2022

(02-12-2022, 06:38 PM)Lusitano Wrote: Not long ago, one of my trade ships was pirated by a bomber and a gunboat, the gunboat left to try to extort other transport, and left me and the bomber, i refused to pay and the fight started, i was kicking that bomber backside with my little transport, until the gunboat return and helped the bomber, and i lost, in other words i lost a unfair combat, but .. i didn't went to cry to that faction page, i took it as part of the game, even if i didn't like it, and if i was in that gunboat place, i most likely did the same. this is about that crap thing of people always cry about " unfair" battles because they lost while outnumber or outgunned, but if they still won, despite the odds, i bet they would n't say a single word. so stop that, it only makes the community more toxic, and don't forget ... it is just a game. you lost? maybe next time you win.

i don't expect replies so, take care, have fun and stay safe.

I don't usually comment on bait posts but I'd figured I'd leave my two cents anyway.

It astounds me that despite this mod being around for at least 16-17 years. People still haven't wrapped their heads around that folks come here to play with their own sense of style.

And then people get offended when they don't play the game the way they want it be to be played. Its almost like every online pvp game is like that.

People don't seem to understand that "Fair pvp" is a personal preference, and that other people may not have the same view, I personally do not. I love massive death battles where players pile in with whatever on either side because it creates an ingame mess, and an ingame mess is fun.

Thank you for coming to my tedtalk.

RE: "Unfair" PVP - Czechmate - 02-12-2022

Game's old. PvP is severely behind times, lacking any sort of matchmaking.

It relies on the players' moral compass, mood swings etc. on regulating fairness. And since everyone has a completely different idea of what that ACTUALLY means there has never been and never will be an agreement on this.

And yes, I have even seen people WIPING the other side without a SINGLE LOSS and still whining that the opposition brought bigger numbers. Like I said - systems doesn't set what is fair, people will alays whine as everyone's view is different.

RE: "Unfair" PVP - jesus - 02-12-2022

Nothing is fair in life so nothing is fair in videogame either. Fairness is only a concept that will never exist in videogames. Like it or not, getting utterly rekt is part of discovery package.

RE: "Unfair" PVP - Karlotta - 02-12-2022

(02-12-2022, 07:08 PM)Relation-Ship Wrote: And yes, I have even seen people WIPING the other side without a SINGLE LOSS and still whining that the opposition brought bigger numbers.

In most cases it's because they feel they need to justify their own use of overwhelming force (achieved mainly by aces banding together against people they know are bad at pvp) by accusing the other side of "gank by numbers or ship size".

It's a trend that started after this post https://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=22639 where a then admin more or less introduced the term "ganking" and everyone has been accusing everyone else of ganking ever since, especially in situations where "respected aces" were being outnumbered/outgunned by less vocal and less experienced members, sending disco down the never ending spiral of stupid we are still in to this day.

Funny part is same guy also started censoring people who predicted that this would happen, after he declared he wanted to hear people's thoughts.

RE: "Unfair" PVP - Czechmate - 02-12-2022

People will have different opinions and people whill keep whining.

No matchmaking = there is nothing that can be done besides leaders manually making events and pre-agreed balanced fights unless only people with precisely the same views on what is fair happen to meet randomly. Which inside the game on a random basis is like winning the lottery Tongue

RE: "Unfair" PVP - Binski - 02-12-2022

All's fair in love and war.

When it comes to piracy or bounty hunting, or random pvp battles, the point originally is that better numbers better your chances. Unfair to one is fair to another. Plenty of times pirates are doing that, and suddenly police/navy ships appear and the numbers game could turn on them.

When it comes to events and the quest for 'balanced' pvp, the problem is that we are so sadly wanting of meaningful events, players just have to make them up themselves, and since there is nothing they can do to provide any extra incentive to get involved, people divide up in advance to balance a fight in advance.

I have always believed though that events where something is at risk that people care about is what get's people out fighting hard regardless of being outnumbered. Every event should be like that, and there should be no real need for players to put together 'just for fun' or minor rp value events. If events that were arising were constantly over defending planets, territory like systems in general, or important stations, the events wouldn't need registration, no special rules negating normal rules of the server (which shouldn't even be allowed) and provide a more long term reason to RP/pvp around. Yet there is this weird glitch of a philosophy going around that seems to still want to keep it locked down here like there's no other way to go about things. This place is still going to waste most of the time.

RE: "Unfair" PVP - Lusitano - 02-12-2022

damn!! replies!! we all know that players are humans so, humans will always be humans, but at least we could try and don't let our emotions flow to the forum! take a deep breath ... go take a pee ... go eat something, and return and maybe next time things could go better for you. just follow the rules and don't make a10 seconds RP and start shooting ok? that is really what we should ban from the game.

take care, have fun and stay safe.

RE: "Unfair" PVP - mm33dd - 02-12-2022

(02-12-2022, 06:38 PM)Lusitano Wrote: I'm mad af

I feel you bruh. Cool