Discovery Gaming Community
Fighters - how it works?! - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Welcome (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=399)
+--- Forum: Help & Support (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Fighters - how it works?! (/showthread.php?tid=191612)

Fighters - how it works?! - Battlegroup Veracruz - 02-26-2022

Since there is a help and support thread here, then... Yes, we need support from more knowledgeable players. Let's talk about fighters.

In our situation, we strive to improve the quality of our own game. We have several questions regarding boxing, earlyturn and ship-speed while fightings, namely the correctness of it's use. Sometimes the following situations arise:

1. When a target moving back (by X-key), it does so quickly that it is difficult to hit. Maneuvers are felt or an extremely fast transition from braking to movement is felt (I don’t know how to explain this, I need a video). A similar maneuver in our case does not always work.

2. The opponent uses the earlyturn technique. An attempt to repeat this technique leads only to varying success, but in fact it is also difficult to hit the target (it is either not visible, or visible, but after a corresponding risk with ship hull and shields). I understand that the risk is justified, but there is a feeling that I am doing something wrong anyway, and this feeling spoils everything.

3. When trying to transition to an earlyturn, the opponent starts boxing. It is not clear how to turn the enemy's technique against him (although they could have done this against me when I was doing boxing). It is difficult to predict when it is better to start an earlyturn.

How to fix all those problems? Perhaps these are all stupid questions that our squad can answer on your own, but... We need advice from those who are "in the know" and have more practice than our squad. I relied on the guides, but, in my opinion, this is not enough (or I'm a fool and don't understand anything).

Also, a picture is attached. How to do it? I tried doing this in Connecticut, but I didn't fully understand what it all meant. Is there a video that shows this maneuver?

[Image: G3JJwmL.jpg]

RE: Fighters - how it works?! - Loken - 02-26-2022

I'm far from the best and there are people much more qualified than I am to give you advice but I'll try to explain what I can from my perspective.

(02-26-2022, 12:16 PM)Juliet squad Wrote: 1. When a target moving back (by X-key), it does so quickly that it is difficult to hit. Maneuvers are felt or an extremely fast transition from braking to movement is felt (I don’t know how to explain this, I need a video). A similar maneuver in our case does not always work.

Make sure you strafe so you are moving in the y and z axis to throw off enemy shots, don't stop for too long and don't overuse it or it becomes predictable. The main ways I use reverse thrust are to stop moving and punish someone who turns too early, or just a tap to cut your momentum during a turn and end up closer behind the enemy.

(02-26-2022, 12:16 PM)Juliet squad Wrote: 2. The opponent uses the earlyturn technique. An attempt to repeat this technique leads only to varying success, but in fact it is also difficult to hit the target (it is either not visible, or visible, but after a corresponding risk with ship hull and shields). I understand that the risk is justified, but there is a feeling that I am doing something wrong anyway, and this feeling spoils everything.

This sort of thing is hard to explain mechanically, you just have to beat your head against a wall until things start to click. Your goal is to place yourself behind the enemy fighter as close as possible so they are easy to hit. If they get behind you, you can try changing the direction you are turning to throw them off. You really just have to get a feel for this yourself.

(02-26-2022, 12:16 PM)Juliet squad Wrote: 3. When trying to transition to an earlyturn, the opponent starts boxing. It is not clear how to turn the enemy's technique against him (although they could have done this against me when I was doing boxing). It is difficult to predict when it is better to start an earlyturn.

If someone is overreliant on boxing you can just drop a mine in front of them and they'll eat it almost every time. If you're practicing without ammo the entire "meta" changes however because it's not equivalent to how a real fight works, and this becomes harder to punish.

(02-26-2022, 12:16 PM)Juliet squad Wrote: Also, a picture is attached. How to do it? I tried doing this in Connecticut, but I didn't fully understand what it all meant. Is there a video that shows this maneuver?

[Image: G3JJwmL.jpg]

That guide was made a long time ago and I wouldn't think about it too much. Discovery has a lot of outdated tutorials and information floating around and basically everything on the wiki is very old info.

RE: Fighters - how it works?! - Battlegroup Veracruz - 02-26-2022

Sorry, for some time I could not write to you because was busy.

First, thanks for the advice. I will try to put them into practice. I'll let you know here about the changes.

Secondly, that picture rather allowed to train target observation, as far as I understood (but you know better, after all), rather than any specific maneuvers.

Third, I have a question. Is there any video tutorial on aim training? I'm on a damage-gun setup (sniper) and sometimes have issues with hit rate.

RE: Fighters - how it works?! - Elvinos2003 - 02-26-2022

videos won't help you to aim only practicing.

RE: Fighters - how it works?! - Battlegroup Veracruz - 02-27-2022

The question was a little different.
Are there any tutorials on how to increase the level of aim through training in Connecticut?

RE: Fighters - how it works?! - Battlegroup Veracruz - 02-27-2022

The more we move in this game, the more questions arise.

First, thanks to everyone for this fight in New York. It was cool and allowed us to understand what problems are present in our tactics. Also thanks to two more people who gave useful advice regarding fighters (one even made a video and promised to send it in PM).

Secondly, let's talk about the tactics themselves. What to do in a situation where 1 person moves away from the focus, and the rest of his group attacks those who attack him? But at the same time, if you switch to someone else, then the situation will repeat itself (the one who leaves the focus will simply change).

We tried to divide the group into 2 parts: one attacking the evader, the other attacking those who attack the attackers. I don’t know how timely and correct this method was, but still: how to act in such situations and turn the fight not into catching up, but into a real fight?

RE: Fighters - how it works?! - Wesker - 02-27-2022

(02-27-2022, 05:39 PM)Juliet squad Wrote: The more we move in this game, the more questions arise.

First, thanks to everyone for this fight in New York. It was cool and allowed us to understand what problems are present in our tactics. Also thanks to two more people who gave useful advice regarding fighters (one even made a video and promised to send it in PM).

Secondly, let's talk about the tactics themselves. What to do in a situation where 1 person moves away from the focus, and the rest of his group attacks those who attack him? But at the same time, if you switch to someone else, then the situation will repeat itself (the one who leaves the focus will simply change).

We tried to divide the group into 2 parts: one attacking the evader, the other attacking those who attack the attackers. I don’t know how timely and correct this method was, but still: how to act in such situations and turn the fight not into catching up, but into a real fight?

You all need to commit to the attacker, splitting in two is suicide. You'll see the fight from our end once I upload it. There's a bit of commentary (voice is real faint though gonna have to figure out how to fix it eventually.)

The 1 evader and rest committing to a separate target is historically the most effective and common strategy you'll see. Sometimes one or two people will deviate onto someone else who is doing a lot of damage, but that requires a bit more practice on ya'lls part.

Aside from that, practice aiming. Turn off vsync and get your FPS as high as possible to help, utilize different refires and find out what works best for you. Strafing is also key, you need to be strafing every time you are shooting a fleeing target it will help you connect more shots. With higher velocity weapons - aim for the cross.