Discovery Gaming Community
Drunken Sailor - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Role-Playing (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Stories and Biographies (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+--- Thread: Drunken Sailor (/showthread.php?tid=191864)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Drunken Sailor - Reeves - 03-27-2022

Fort Ramsey; Ontario System; Contested Frontier

On the same kind of scale as a city inclined towards industry constantly hammered away, Ramsey was alive with all kinds of ambient commotion. The gears of this machine never stopped humming, it was the backbone that allowed the dreams of an entire people to stand. As such, it should come as no surprise that a person would need transport to travel between the various blocks. In practice, this ranged between shuttles and locally operated ships, to a mass transit system on rails and whatever people individually possessed. Morreti's preferred choice was a rather expensive and custom built jetbike he'd owned for over a decade now.

The elevator ride all the way up to the top floor of the Alliance building was uneventful, save for a few stops as other people got in to go to other levels. A few awkward smiles later, to the tune of some extremely out of date music, and he was where he wanted to be. When the door was in front of him, he firmly pressed the small green button to signal he was here and waiting. Since it was something of a night out, he'd dressed casually but preserved a few stylish elements. The dress shirt he'd opted to wear was mostly white, but the strip of fabric over which the buttons were sewn into was black with blue outlines. Simple black jeans neatly conformed with his boots, the ends of the leg tucked in. He'd also elected to keep his sleeves rolled up, not wanting to make any part of this seem formal or profession.

He could hear footsteps on the other side of the door, she was consistently quick about this.

RE: Drunken Sailor - Erremnart - 03-27-2022

Virginia opened the door and looked at him. Surprisingly, she wasn't in uniform, but a black t-shirt, red plaid shirt, blue jeans, and the only army thing about her were her polished black military boots, a belt matching her boots, and a holster with small pistol in it at her left hip.

"Good evening, are you ready to get drunk, fight in the pub and pass out by the trash cans?" she asked him flatly, closing and locking her apartment door behind her. It was absolutely certain that there would be no drinking in her apartment, "I have cigarettes, I have a lighter, I have credits... I think I have everything.", she grinned and stuck her hands in her pockets.

Her posture and facial expression suggested she was still alert, but in civilian clothes it did not look as conspicuous as in uniform.

RE: Drunken Sailor - Reeves - 03-27-2022

The way she asked him all of that as if it was guaranteed to happen made him chuckle for a moment. "Sure, I'll even hold your hair when you've had a drink too many." While this was conveyed sincerely, it was also intended to be humorous and something of an innuendo.

"You'll need this though, have to get to one of the transit lines. It's not too far." He offered her a spare helmet, having brought this one all the way up with him, leaving his own with the bike. It seemed like he was apprehensive with the suggestion, since she might just outright refuse to get on the back of a bike with him. And then their only alternative would be to walk, which was vastly less convenient than a quick zip to a station for pickup.

Of course this was neglecting the fact that if she was genuinely going to get piss drunk, then they'd have to walk back here from the nearest station. But it was a bridge they could cross later. For now, he waited while she considered the option for herself.

Virginia picked up the helmet and looked at it. She sighed slightly and shook her head, "Thanks for the offer but no, I've fallen off a motorcycle before and my knee still hurts to this day. Don't trust those contraptions.", she handed the helmet back to him. While it was true that her right leg was a bit stiffer in the knee than her healthy left leg and a skilled observer might have noticed it, the main reason could easily have been that she had to hold on to Morreti.

"Plus - motorbikes and booze don't exactly go well together.", she grinned as she made her way towards the elevator out of the building without waiting for his reaction. On the way to the elevator she pulled her dog tags out of her shirt and shook them, "By the way, we soldiers have our blood type written on this in case I piss off someone bigger and tougher than me and I'll need a transfusion.". It was hard to tell if she was speaking from experience or just joking.
She pressed the button and stepped into the elevator car, using her heavy boot to secure the doors so they would not close on their own.

"Fair enough, was probably somebody stupid at the front in your case though. Give it a second chance someday, with somebody you trust. Shame, I swapped out the rear seat and put on handles for you to hold." While he did sound a little disappointed because he'd taken a bit of effort to work around her discomforts, he wasn't going to let it ruin the night or lose sleep over it. She'd made her choice, and he respected it for what it was.

When she brought up her blood type and the fact that she might need a hand if they fought somebody bigger, he smirked and tapped his holstered weapon. "Don't worry about it, I'll just shoot them before they can touch you." While this was most likely a joke, something about the way he said it made it sound like he wouldn't hesitate.

Promptly, he followed her into the elevator and stood in the other corner, waiting as he handled the buttons and set them on a course for the ground floor. The music chiming in again. "Have you been around the Fort or is this your first time?" He figured somebody like her might have tried stretching her legs by now, but maybe she was still settling in and felt awkward.

Virginia shook her head, "No, I actually went to buy new civilian clothes last night - these.", pointing with both hands to her plain but colorful clothes, "As a cadet I had no problem getting drunk even in uniform, but... as a commanding officer? That wouldn't be the best idea"., she chuckled slightly at the idea of a snotty officer lying somewhere in an alcoholic stupor.

As soon as the elevator stopped at the ground floor, she started towards the exit and asked him, "What's the plan besides committing genocide on brain cells, liver and kidneys? I wouldn't mind something livelier with music.". She paused in front of the Alliance building, waiting for him to choose the right direction.

The fact she'd gone out shopping for clothes of all things made him smirk. And her comment about a commanding officer face down in his own snot made him grin for a few seconds after that. Clearly he was picturing somebody he didn't like in that situation, amplifying the amusement. When she said she didn't mind things being livelier, he shook his head from side to side and considered the options they had. Eventually settling on the idea of going to a particular bar a couple blocks over from them, one that always had live bands playing in rotations. "Music? I know a place, it's called the Bombshell." It was quite the name, honestly catchy. And he seemed to have no trouble keeping pace with her as they walked, so she wouldn't need to pause for long at all.

"Straight down this stretch, after the third building on our left. There's an access point to get on the shuttle that makes a stop near our bar of choice." She might have already known this, but just in case she didn't, he'd told her anyway. If she had anything else on her mind or things she wanted to ask him, now was the time, since the walk would take a few minutes if they kept up their current pace. Life seemed to be carrying on all around them, many stories above them and across these vast stretches of pathways.

"Bombshell?", Virginia wondered, but then shook her head in agreement, "Hmm... that sounds like a place for me, and it actually matches what I want to do with my brain.". From Houston, she remembered bars with much more crude names than this one. For a good portion of their trip, she just looked around at the booming city that Fort Ramsey was and compared it to Planet Veracruz as she remembered it. The wind, she missed the real wind in here.

As they were approaching the shuttle station, she asked him a curious question, "How is your little Alliance faring as a whole - has anything interesting happened?". She had to admit to herself that she was actually interested in the answer - she was practically grounded at the moment. The vast majority of her crew was gone now, either with their families or on a long journey of exploration of what the Liberty Free Republic had to offer. And her Roanoke was currently undergoing a deactivation sequence - shutting down the reactor and decontaminating it for maintenance and modifications.

RE: Drunken Sailor - Reeves - 03-28-2022

A simple question, rooted in the fact that she was already bored of being grounded here, something he could relate with. Since they were on the move and he did need to keep an eye on where they were going, his eyes were fixed forward. "Anything interesting? Well, there was this Captain I met and and she needed our help. It's been a rough ride sorting that out, but I care about her so I've been handling it." It was a joke, since he was obviously talking about her, and the fact he couldn't conceal the smirk that this caused only emphasized that fact.

Once he was finished with that bit of humour, he casually flirted with her but answered the question properly. "Oh, you meant anything interesting besides you, right. In that case, Knight approached us and agreed to back the LFR. There was also this evacuation effort we helped secure, but you can hear more about that on the net." There'd been an independent news source going around mentioning something about a refugee transport, and since Morreti had been involved they actually went ahead and interviewed him in a studio near the site of resettlement. Apparently people were making it to Erie somewhat consistently now, thanks to persistent attempts and the Navy's more focused agenda of advancing rather than looking behind.

RE: Drunken Sailor - Erremnart - 03-28-2022

"Admiral Knight wants to join the LFR? I wouldn't guess so.", she asked him in surprise as they approached the shuttle transfer station. They weren't alone at this hour of the evening - there was a group of half-drunken workers, a group of youth around fifteen years old, and a few other lone passengers.
A few minutes later their shuttle car finally arrived and after a few people got off, they boarded. Virginia had expected similar services under LFR management to be in much worse shape, but to her surprise the interior was only slightly dirty and worn.

Although Virginia had a few questions along the way, the drunken workers were so loud she had no desire to shout over them, so she just stared silently out the window at the darkened 'night' city of Fort Ramsey around them, waiting for Morreti to indicate it was time to finally get off.

More people were getting off at their destination, clustered in a huddle about the exit doors, and Virginia felt a hand from the crowd reach into her pants pockets and grab her credit chip. It took only a split second for her to recover, grabbing that small hand and in a flurry she was about to break it at the elbow. She was only stopped by the pained scream of a boy of about thirteen, to whom the arm belonged. Virginia paused and immediately dropped the arm, standing wordlessly just watching as the boy and his friends ran away in fear, he still holding his strained arm. Her reaction was not conscious, it was a well practiced instinct of self defense from her martial arts course from the Hellfire Legion.
Virginia sighed in remorse and picked up the credit chip from the ground and shoved it back into her pocket. She subconsciously caught Morreti's gaze and returned it offensively, "What are you looking at? Better take us to the pub.".