Discovery Gaming Community
POB Buy & Sell Functionality - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: POB Buy & Sell Functionality (/showthread.php?tid=192216)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: POB Buy & Sell Functionality - Zentor - 05-01-2022

(05-01-2022, 10:50 PM)Skorak Wrote: I feel like adding a command to every sales process is too clumsy. Players are used to Freelancer having only one price and even the fact that pobs don't buy back your things in most cases is already confusing people.

If it can't display both I'm not really happy with how apparent this will be to players. I'd prefer a solution like the pseudo-refinery in that case. The commodity most people want this for is ore. So if the ore gets turned into a copy of it with a different name, not only does it feel right for it to sell for higher, one can set two prices.

That will bulk up your /shop real fast, not too mention create a situation with commotidy entries could nearly double (no fun for Econ and much room for error).

You don't need to use commands whatsoever in the setup shown, as the logic on the back end will always handle the right price whether buying or selling, the commands only changes the display. you could literally type it once- or not at all if its a base you're familiar with- and all will be well.

Theres also conditions in place to prevent owners/manager from setting buying price higher then selling price, so you'll never get screwed.

RE: POB Buy & Sell Functionality - Skorak - 05-01-2022

You only really need it for ore. So it's just one more entry for most pobs. As ore is done much easier through the plugin making a copy of prices is simple.

(05-01-2022, 11:30 PM)Skorak Wrote: You only really need it for ore. So it's just one more entry for most pobs. As ore is done much easier through the plugin making a copy of prices is simple.

Leaving all the other POB owners out of the picture? No buy sell for equipment, guns, or potentially other commodities?

Yes. Ores are the main reason pobs are built, I'd expect even more so than equipment crafting pobs which wouldn't need this anyways. Making a copy of every commodity isn't feasible. Neither is expecting commands of the normal player in the shop. If there's a chance the shop displays the wrong price to a player I'm very much disliking such a change.

Thats limiting something that can be much more useful. This method opens the doors to further types of business, new types of modules (ore refining, smelting, laboratories, munitions etc).

Theres 0 chance of displaying the wrong price if people pay attention, and 0 chance, even if they don't, of ppl getting screwed over since the system would either function at the same price (buy & sell) or would function in a predictable manner of selling stuff to players for more then bases buy them for (basics of economics).

From what I see in your video, I can make my ore sell for 4000 credits. A player who docks will see that price. I'm buying for 100 credits though that the player can't see without typing a command. It might be that I'm missing a piece here but that's what the video shows.

RE: POB Buy & Sell Functionality - Davxxx - 05-01-2022

I'm excited to have a method that POD's can use to actually run like a real business. Any inconvenience of typing a server command is far outweighed by the newfound functionality and potential. Thanks for your efforts in finding a work around to Freelancers core code. Color me impressed...

RE: POB Buy & Sell Functionality - LuckyOne - 05-02-2022

Like I already mentioned in Discord I am supportive of the idea but I fully agree with Skorak's note that this could be really confusing for new players (and also make them lose both the money and the cargo they mistakenly bought, not realising why).

In that case I would actually prefer for the player to have to type the /sell command to sell stuff (I think it's better UX for the commands to be worded through the player's point of view, that is, what the player wants to do).

I also stand by my original comment that this is mostly convenience for the POB owners while the players are the ones who interact with the POBs in much greater numbers.

Having said that, thank you for your hard work in looking into ways to make the POB economy interesting!

RE: POB Buy & Sell Functionality - Prysin - 05-02-2022

(05-01-2022, 11:52 PM)Skorak Wrote: From what I see in your video, I can make my ore sell for 4000 credits. A player who docks will see that price. I'm buying for 100 credits though that the player can't see without typing a command. It might be that I'm missing a piece here but that's what the video shows.

Seems to be a issue pertaining to the freelancer UI. I think he was testing a fix,but otherwise it would require duplicate items to make it work.

Could also be fixed by a console message upon docking with the base.

RE: POB Buy & Sell Functionality - Zentor - 05-02-2022

Having visitors click through a pop up window (that appears every time upon docking) explaining how this all works and then asking them to type which value's they'd like to see, would seem to suggest understanding, I know it isn't as convenient as expected modern game UX, but requires 5 seconds of understanding and brings infinite playability. The only alternative that has so far been cited is one that adds a great deal of bulk, confusion for the ones setting prices, (as well as potential for error on the dev side) and only adds usefulness (purportedly) for ores, and still as of yet theoretical.

Now, one thing that could be done to perhaps add additional clarify is having a window that summarizes all the goods the base currently deals in, showing both buy and sell prices listed for visitors to peruse before proceeding on to making transactions.

[Image: unknown.png]

Another idea might be to have every transaction confirmed with a console command, but that seems highly intrusive and could get very annoying.