Discovery Gaming Community
Should we add POB Buy/Sell Functionality? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Should we add POB Buy/Sell Functionality? (/showthread.php?tid=192791)

Pages: 1 2

Should we add POB Buy/Sell Functionality? - Zentor - 05-22-2022

In order to get some hard statistics, I'd like to post this poll in regards to adding the ability to POB's to set unique sell and buy prices.

Details found here.

This change imho would revolutaionize the usage of player bases and can make the addition of custom refineries, factories, smelteries, and other custom modules much more viable (some of which I've already coded and await submission and review).

Please refrain from off-topic discussion here.

RE: Should we add POB Buy/Sell Functionality? - Skorak - 05-22-2022

I'll always have to vote no on this. The fact that a price can be paid that the seller cannot see is too much of a downside for what would otherwise be a great feature.

Freelancer has only one price per commodity, adding a command requirement to benefit a few pob owners over every player isn't a great solution.

RE: Should we add POB Buy/Sell Functionality? - Trade Convoy Logistical - 05-22-2022

As a faction with Player Owned Bases to me this is a plus for our installations and will mean not having to keep switching the prices from buy to sell all the time and decreases the need for constant administration people logging in to change prices ..... Simply a great idea.

RE: Should we add POB Buy/Sell Functionality? - Czechmate - 05-22-2022

Seems like a complete no - brainer to me, I always assumed PoBs can do this and was unpleasantly surprised when I found out they can't.

This should have been done years ago

RE: Should we add POB Buy/Sell Functionality? - Zentor - 05-22-2022

(05-22-2022, 09:27 PM)Skorak Wrote: I'll always have to vote no on this. The fact that a price can be paid that the seller cannot see is too much of a downside for what would otherwise be a great feature.

Freelancer has only one price per commodity, adding a command requirement to benefit a few pob owners over every player isn't a great solution.

This would benefit every player on the Server except that 1 or 2 individuals who refuse to read or pay attention

So if it means 99 out of every 100 instances is a benefit, it is worth it to me.

RE: Should we add POB Buy/Sell Functionality? - Davxxx - 05-22-2022

As a newish player I would like to add my two cents, and for transparency I own a POB. While I understand Skorak point. I would say that while Freelancer is a relatively simple game the whole Discovery Mod adds a learning curve. Read my earliest forum posts looking for help, and the hours I've spent reading up on this mod.

I have lost several hundreds of millions to learn lessons. Rather, that was buying an incorrect ship for my tag or just one of several ships not worth buying. Oh, and that time I loaded up my Junker with Premium Scrap and flew to Gallia to explore. Let's just say it didn't end well, but I learned...

Many lessons in life are learned the hard way. However, my understanding is that Zentor has a warning system to notify players, and heavy base ore filling is mostly something more experienced players do. Additionally, Discovery has a mining guide that this change could be added. As a suggestion, please add the mining guide directly to player utilities at the top of the forums.

Lastly, I know some dislike everything about POB, but there here now. So, let's make them the best that we can. Groups with POBs are some of the most active.

Kind regards

RE: Should we add POB Buy/Sell Functionality? - Stewgar - 05-22-2022

(05-22-2022, 09:27 PM)Skorak Wrote: I'll always have to vote no on this. The fact that a price can be paid that the seller cannot see is too much of a downside for what would otherwise be a great feature.

This makes no sense. The seller CAN see by inputting command to do so.

Voted yes. If this is not implemented, it is one more proof that this community is no longer focused on progressing content.

RE: Should we add POB Buy/Sell Functionality? - Skorak - 05-22-2022

A miner will dock on my base.
I sell ore for 3000 credits per unit. The miner likes that a lot.
Little does the miner know, I buy ore for 1 credit.

Adding commands to a normal shop is super unintuitive.

A miner docks on the base, ignores the info explainer that tells him to check prices, and proceeds on, finds that no prices are displayed on his side but a price shows up on the shop side, instead of asking about it, using help menu, testing just 1 sale, or anything he clicks through it and in a 0.00001% chance the base owner wants to be a dick and buy ore for 1 credit. He gets upset at his 560 ore-ish (if a freighter) or 2600-ish (if the bigger miner) or whatever the Hegamon size ships are, complains to the the admin or devs, Zentor reimburses him for his trouble and now he knows.

Meanwhile 1,000 other transactions happen happily, and with added benefits.

Where is the problem?