Discovery Gaming Community
Reports and the lack of response from the staff team - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Rules & Requests (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Site & Forum Feedback (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Reports and the lack of response from the staff team (/showthread.php?tid=193503)

Pages: 1 2

Reports and the lack of response from the staff team - Kherty - 07-02-2022

Reports and the lack of response from the staff team

Foreword

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤This is something I have noticed while reporting actions I have found worthy of being reported. You make the report, put the screenshot(s), or video(s), you make SURE to follow the TEMPLATE, because it has to be more stringent and rigorous than filing your taxes or press charges against an individual or company (ironically) - and you're not SURE it will be even be processed, since it is a black box to the majority of the player, to my understanding.

¤¤¤¤¤However, as opposed to when you mess (this swearwords censorship is driving me nuts) up your taxes, or get evicted - you actually get a notice, just like when you get sanctioned. But, the individual who filed the report, does not receive a message telling him that the report was found to be correct or wrong, and for what reasons.

Yes, yes, but how would that work?

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤While Twitter's - this dumpster fire of a social media website - moderation is mostly done by personnel aided by tools dedicated to that-- *cough* moderators *cough*, Twitter acknowledges your report(s), and contacts you to confirm or infirm that your report(s) was/were relevant and/or deemed violating their rules. It would be actually very simple to put in practice. Since you, for example, have the liberty to deny applications for developers after months of "interviews", the moderators should be able to send a message explaining why your report(s) were denied.

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤Now, you may ask about the relevancy of such a thing put in place. Well, I will give you two simple words: not being as exasperating as a HR director not replying to your application for a job, and respect - respect for the person who often went out of their way to write and send the report(s), sometimes, in with good intentions, such as new players.

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤The goal of a report is punitive, naturally, but it is most punitive when the person keeps doing that thing, if it had a closer parallel to the world's justice system, it would be rehabilitative; as the first sanction is generally just a notice in your cargo (I don't remember if it's still the case), and beamed into Bastille until you confirm on this very forum you've read the rules, or for people like me who applied and got interviewed for a ridiculous amount of time only to get told that I wasn't liked by the dev lead, mess with the game folder that is used to play online.

Proposed solution

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤The proposed solution is simple. As the moderators and administrators do their votes on the report, they ask one of them to send a DM to the person who reported and explain either in layman's terms, or just laconically - laconically would be the best for both parties, the reason(s) for the confirmation or infirmation of the report. That's it. Please refer to how Twitter does it. It's a few sentences long. What would be even better would be to have enclosed a copy of your report, since it is visible only by moderators and above.

Afterword

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤This thread is aimed at moderators, staff members, and administrators as mainly a suggestion and a constructive criticism of the current system of reporting players for breaking the rules. This thread is not looking for players' comments because it will inevitably degrade into «Am Right And You Are Wrong» - therefore, I will only reply to the aforementioned individuals if they decide to, and deliberately ignore the comments. Please excuse me for doing this, but not only do I not have time nor motivation to participate in dick measuring contests, or pointless arguing, this is me proposing something to the people in charge publicly.

¤¤¤¤¤Hopefully this will help clear out some frustration people can get while reporting - such as, but not limited to: "was that screenshot clear enough? Did I explain it enough? OH BLIMEY O'REILLY! I FORGOT TO ADD SOMETHING", that sort of stuff.

Thank you for reading. Cheers.

Also, if it's in the wrong forum or place, please move it instead of deleting it, it would be ironic to confirm the both the main (minor) problem and also the insinuated critics (I triple-checked, they do not violate any laws)

Now that, indeed, would be ironic.

RE: Reports and the lack of response from the staff team - Kherty - 07-02-2022

That was exactly what I wanted to avoid, yet I got it regardless.
I respect you two, but take it elsewhere.

RE: Reports and the lack of response from the staff team - Traxit - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 04:40 AM)Kherty Wrote: As the moderators and administrators do their votes on the report, they ask one of them to send a DM to the person who reported and explain either in layman's terms, or just laconically - laconically would be the best for both parties, the reason(s) for the confirmation or infirmation of the report. That's it.
Seems like a rather simple idea, why not.

RE: Reports and the lack of response from the staff team - Felipe - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 11:03 AM)Traxit Wrote:
(07-02-2022, 04:40 AM)Kherty Wrote: As the moderators and administrators do their votes on the report, they ask one of them to send a DM to the person who reported and explain either in layman's terms, or just laconically - laconically would be the best for both parties, the reason(s) for the confirmation or infirmation of the report. That's it.
Seems like a rather simple idea, why not.

As someone that latelly ended in the "wrong side" of reports, i think that admins nowadays just make things more personall, example: they pmed me and told "change naming for this reasons, or" and no forum post about it happened.
Isnt that they arent acting about, they just dont make a circus about when isnt needed, but the quoted idea is simple and nice indeed.

RE: Reports and the lack of response from the staff team - Kherty - 07-03-2022

(07-02-2022, 11:37 AM)Felipe Wrote:
(07-02-2022, 11:03 AM)Traxit Wrote: *snip*
*snip*

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤Thanks to both of you for your replies, it reassured me in the feasability of such a thing (I mean, a DM, okay, but I thought it'll add more to the already Atlas-esque bureaucracy it shows, but I think it's really something we need).

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤FYI, it really stemmed from the massive frustration I accumulated IRL when I applied for jobs, applied more than a hundred times and barely got ten replies, all negatives. Discovery acts a bit like that about reports. It should definitely be more transparent before and during the report process - I saw a parallel between the awful way of responding by human "resources" depts. from companies, and the current reporting system.

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤And also, when your report was done in a bad manner, such as evidence lacking or anything, you don't get any notification about it, or even what was wrong, so I thought, why not make them add what was wrong in your report too? It will make the report process better for all parties, in my opinion.

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤Now, I am just awaiting moderators/administrators input on these ideas: DMing if the report was correct or incorrect; and if it was incorrect, what went wrong, and this, simply, no need to rewrite the Bible.

RE: Reports and the lack of response from the staff team - Darius - 07-03-2022

This horrible and will just lead to more bureaucracy. Please, if one values both theirs and the staff's own sanity, do not suggest such changes.

If you wish to know more about a request, simply ask in the admin or dev channels respectively in the discord or PM a staff member. That is the easiest and best way to go about such matters in a community like disco's.

RE: Reports and the lack of response from the staff team - Kherty - 07-03-2022

(07-03-2022, 03:28 AM)DariusCiprian Wrote: This horrible and will just lead to more bureaucracy. Please, if one values both theirs and the staff's own sanity, do not suggest such changes.

If you wish to know more about a request, simply ask in the admin or dev channels respectively in the discord or PM a staff member. That is the easiest and best way to go about such matters in a community like disco's.

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤I'll reply one last time before the moderators/administrators awaken and give their inputs on these ideas, because, as you said it, it could just be aimed to the admins. Please excuse me for not continuing to reply and participate. Feel free to though!

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤Because it's simple really; they chose to be mods, devs, admins, they knew that there'd be a lot of bureaucracy, no? I'm not asking them to write an essay on why Kant is wrong, I am just requesting it to be automatic - it can be as innocuous as just a C/C, with some more... spicy, bits, of the vote redacted, and sent. For the "why was I wrong?", it honestly seems obvious to me; personally, I forget, and when I get fire upon without having time to answer to the hostilities etc, I go and write, spend 40 minutes gathering the evidence, writing, explaining, only for my report to go to, I don't know, Silent Hill or something. Of course you can ask them, but what I'm saying is that it should be something by default, just like the public threads where they indicate that xXx_DudexXx was sanctioned for X reasons, and that there's a paragraph detailing why - that's what I want to, as someone who had reported people before, the reasons why this particular report didn't go through - hell, maybe it could've been forgotten!

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤Either way, it's up to the admins, but I truly believe this will enhance the quality of life of people who submit reports, and has no return whatsoever about theirs, and have no idea if the person they reported was actually in the right - or if there was just a misunderstanding. It could also prevent hostilities between members, it can do a lot of things, I truly believe that.

RE: Reports and the lack of response from the staff team - Groshyr - 07-03-2022

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤While this is indeed the change I'd like to see, I doubt it would be possible - many people are living in their own world of only own's rightness and making everyone who disagrees or straight saying them something is dumb an enemy of the state. For me it appears you did not include this specific side of the community and human psychology.

RE: Reports and the lack of response from the staff team - Karst - 07-03-2022

(07-03-2022, 03:28 AM)DariusCiprian Wrote: If you wish to know more about a request, simply ask in the admin or dev channels respectively in the discord or PM a staff member. That is the easiest and best way to go about such matters in a community like disco's.

This. If you really need to know the fate of a report, just ask. I don't see the necessity of chasing after people with explanations for every dismissed report, there are quite a lot of them and many are really stupid.

RE: Reports and the lack of response from the staff team - Felipe - 07-03-2022

Ah yes, lets remember this is Disco, far from a perfectly sane enviroment...

Theres (or, well, we had such people in recent past) people that play "sanctionlancer" ie: they spend their days searching smt to report;
Ive saw in past "people" celebrating they got 3 ppl sanctioned in a single day, and other guys trying to compete with them in "sanctionlancing";
Ive even saw a guy sanctioned for reporting too much, so

The prospect of weighting even more on whomever need to read and examine every damm report of the many sent for the smallest non-sense detail isnt that nice, once you stop to think on it. PMing some admin in the few cases the person who reported want to know what happened looks like equally a solution, while not overloading admins that much more.

Maybe an automated solution could be implemented, for the most obvious cases: i make a report, that lacks evidence, admins when examine mark it as lacking evidence and i get an automtted msg "Git gut lol" or whatever "lacks evidence" but from my experience that would turn into a DM to an admin anyway so, why even bother?

*Welcome to Disco*