Discovery Gaming Community
When You See White Mice - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Role-Playing (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Stories and Biographies (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+--- Thread: When You See White Mice (/showthread.php?tid=194455)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: When You See White Mice - Erremnart - 10-27-2022

Virginia sighed and wrung her hands, "We'll need to patch up the holes in our ranks that these f*ckers've created. They've weakened us.". While she herself had no right to judge anyone for defecting, attempting to kill a commander was something that she, as a career soldier, abhorred. The whole situation wasn't made any easier by the facts, that not only was the Alliance weaker now, but Cobra's second in command had betrayed them and she had no idea what sensitive information about the LFR Ridgenose had taken with him.

"We need to change all the identification code sequences, the communication encryption keys...", Virginia counted off on the fingers of her left hand the steps that would need to be taken in case any sensitive information fell into the hands of their enemies, "... change patrol routes, flight schedules...", she sighed loudly as she strained her aching head, still numb from the hangover, "... did I forgot something?". She gave him a questioning look that summed up how she's feeling right now without any pretense.

She snapped the fingers on her left hand and pointed her index finger at him, "And you'll have to get a new vice-commander. Any ideas?".

RE: When You See White Mice - Reeves - 10-27-2022

His response to that final question was a shake of the head and what sounded like a drastic change in tone. "Have to? No. I don't. And I'm not going to. Creating that position was your idea and it turned out like this. My way was better, I'm sticking with it." While his voice wasn't raised and there was nothing overtly harsh in what he'd said, the words were still delivered firmly and with an easily discernable amount of anger and frustration. She was also being given no room to convince him otherwise, under a silent threat of being chastised if she did.

"He didn't have access to nearly as much as you think he did. But they've already been stripped of clearance and we've changed codes. Patrol routes and flight schedules were always on my file, not his. If I'd left it to him, he'd have told half of Liberty where and when to find us." While this could have been interpreted as a joke, he was being completely serious and the disgust on his face was easily observable by somebody with her talents.

RE: When You See White Mice - Erremnart - 10-27-2022

Although Damien chose not to raise his voice, Virginia decided to sound loud, "My idea?! No, no... none of this sh*t was my idea. You killed Vincent back when you and I were shooting at each other with live ammunition!". Anger surged through her being and she felt the adrenaline surge through her body in preparation for the next confrontation. She glared at him, her teeth gritting silently as she took a breath for another verbal attack.

Then she suddenly tilted her head, closed her eyes, and rubbed the bridge of her nose. A deep exhale followed, inhaling and exhaling again. "No, I didn't come here to argue with you about who did what wrong.". Virginia opened her eyes again and looked at him, but now her anger was gone and she looked calm again, maybe even a little guilty, "I just... I'm here to help, I want to make sure that none of your people try to kill you again, okay?".

RE: When You See White Mice - Reeves - 10-28-2022

He was quiet for what felt like an eternity after all that, but in reality it was only five minutes in which he seemed to be entirely lost in thought. "Thank you." Were the words which did end up breaking that prolonged silence, and they seemed sincere and even somewhat encumbered by hesitation.

But it seemed like now he was finished wallowing there in bed, and he pushed himself back up into a seated position and went even further by getting ready to try and stand. He was obviously pushing his luck, but then again that was what he always did. "Give me a hand, people need to see and hear from me." While this was hardly a responsible thing to do, it was most likely the right thing to do under the circumstances and if he was intent on maintaining an image of strength and dedication. With that in mind, he hoped she would just do as asked rather than try to argue again.

RE: When You See White Mice - Erremnart - 10-29-2022

Virginia sighed and looked up at him, "Yeah, I'll lend you a hand... on one condition.", she folded her arms across her chest in an uncompromising gesture and cast him a worried expression. Although she didn't want to show it publicly, this was the man who had saved her life and she refused to admit that she should allow him to die just for his own pride.

"On one condition.", she repeated more emphatically and continued, "If you get worse or tear your stitches, I'll drag you back here faster than you can say 'I'm the Commander', agreed?". She questioned Damien and rose from her chair, ready to offer him not only her helping hand, but a shoulder to lean on.

RE: When You See White Mice - Reeves - 10-30-2022

A nod and a smirk preceded his response. "Agreed." Even if he disagreed, it wasn't as if he had a choice in the matter. He might be able to stand with assistance but that was a bit like being able to stomp down on the gas peddle while somebody else had the wheel. Sure, you were going somewhere but somebody else was dictating where that would be.

"Take me to the Alliance building. Lots of people are already there, and they all want answers." Even if there was a fair bit of pressure given that the number of people wanting to hear about what had happened, and more importantly hear the truth of it all, he didn't seem nervous. The only things he seemed to be feeling was fatigue and pain, which were quite likely just overpowering everything else.

The same surgeon which he'd kicked out of the room from before exclaimed in objection upon seeing him trying to leave. But one of the marines that had been standing outside the room followed in tow with the pair and deterred her or any of the infirmary staff from trying to intervene. This wasn't the time for bedrest.

RE: When You See White Mice - Erremnart - 10-31-2022

Virginia took his arm and wrapped it around her other shoulder in order to support him properly. Once she was sure he was still conscious and showing no signs of worsening, she stepped out into the hallway with him.
"Stop staring and you better open the door for us.", she urged authoritatively in her strong voice to one of the marines standing in front of them.

"Like coming back drunk from a bar.", Virginia chuckled to lighten the situation, "Only one foot at a time, nice and slow and don't forget to alternate them. You'll have to practice more.". Patiently and carefully she led him through the corridors of Fort Ramsey and her menacing, fixed gaze flicking away anyone who tried to keep them from their path. She didn't even have to try very hard as she was still not feeling well, so all she had to do was hint at how she was feeling at the moment to add to the very unpleasant look on her face.

As they approached the front of the Alliance building on Fort Ramsey, Virginia gathered all her remaining strength and braced herself properly so that Damien Morreti was leaning forward as little as possible in an attempt to give him a stronger appearance.
"Autographs after the premiere.", she b*tched between her teeth to the group of standing curious onlookers at the reception just as they walked through the doors, and led him to the elevator.
"Where to?", she asked as she backed him into the corner of the elevator and turned to the elevator control panel.

RE: When You See White Mice - Reeves - 10-31-2022

There was a moment's hesitation as he glanced ahead at the elevator and then back at the main doors they had just crossed the threshold of. Once they were inside that metal box, the choice felt obvious to him and he gestured back at the main doors instead. "Back out there, the top of the stairs, that'll do for a podium. They need to know that I'm in this with them, not hiding behind a screen, relying on a teleprompter and comforted by a fancy chair." That was his definitive choice, even if there were risks besides the fact that his two feet were only just barely able to keep his weight off the ground.

"I have enough fuel in the tank to stand by myself for a few minutes. Long enough to say everything I need to say and for them to know the truth. Just help me get there, I'll do the rest. If I pass out, just put me on a stretcher and wheel me back." His commitment seemed genuine, to the point where he was willing to endure torturous amounts of pain for the sake of standing by his principles. And while this was the least comfortable of the approaches he could use in order to handle the situation, it was the one he knew was necessary.

RE: When You See White Mice - Erremnart - 11-01-2022

Virginia let out a long breath and stared at him in disbelief, "Stairs? Are you kidding me?". She looked at him silently for several long seconds before letting out a long sigh and ruffling her long blonde hair, "You're not kidding. F*ck.". She folded her hands at her sides, still staring at him with a look that asked countless 'why' questions.

"Fine.", she finally said softly. She helped Damien onto her shoulder again and wrapped his arm around her neck, "Let's go.".

The trip up the stairs with Damien on her shoulder was considerably more challenging and so various peppery curses slipped out of her mouth at each floor. The swearing only stopped when she finally noticed the sign pointing in the direction of the podium and sighed with relief.

"Just a little further.", she added for a mental boost as she steadied Damien towards his big show. "You know... I gotta tell you one thing...", she proceded between as they walked down the dull hallway towards their destination, "... you're a quite heavy princess to carry.".

RE: When You See White Mice - Reeves - 11-01-2022

"Nice of you to acknowledge my royal background. You'll have to carry me after the wedding too." It wasn't in his nature to not fire back with an equally comedic or sarcastic response, and especially not with her. And under the circumstances it helped lighten the mood and take some of the edge off when turning around to face all the people that had gathered and looked up at the pair expectantly.

For a few seconds he remained silent, making sure his legs were steadied and holding onto his partner's hand for idle comfort while he prepared himself for the agonizing exertion that would be speaking loud enough to be heard by this substantially sized crowd. "I did kill Vincent Abrams. Or at least I tried to." It was quite the way to begin addressing a small horde's worth of people, but he'd already made his choice and fully committed to this. "When the Order first told me he'd been reckless enough to cooperate with some manner of foul alien, I didn't want to believe it. And in that instant, I knew those of us that truly cared for him wouldn't want to believe it either. And I knew that if I chose to do nothing then his increasingly reckless and incoherent behavior would put everyone on Nome at risk, and soon enough maybe even everyone else clamoring for the LFR's founding. I expect some of you will judge me quite harshly for this. I know I would, if I was down there instead of up here. And honestly, I wish I was down there. There's nothing I'd have liked more, anything else except having to make the choice I did. To safeguard the lives and future liberties of the millions I swore to share our dream with, even if it meant killing a friend. Or to put him first but at the cost of all those people who have only ever known the inside of a cage." There was a moment when saying all of that where his voice cracked and revealed a deep seated sense of vulnerability, along with clearly audible pain that was both rooted in the physical sense and otherwise. The crowd themselves weren't quite sure to think, frozen in silence and understandably shocked to know that none of this was exaggerated, and what they'd heard was true, besides the Commander's death of course.

"Now you know. You know what I did, why I did it and why those four people wanted to kill me for it. All that's left is for you to decide if you want to make the same choice they did. I'm just here to face the music, so go ahead and play whatever tune you feel you need to in response to what I've done. The personal hell of living with the fact that I killed that kid, when all I wanted to do was protect him, is worse than anything else that could possibly happen to me." And with that he was finished, the silence making way for muttering and then the sound of rapidly shuffling feet as groups of people seemed to stir as if gauging the situation for themselves.

Eventually an entourage of people marched up those very same stairs, some of them members of other groups that vehemently opposed him and his policies. If Belle were to react defensively at the sight of that, Morreti would gesture in her direction to just let whatever was going to happen - happen. The approach of the posse would ultimately stop within an arm's length of him, both saying and doing nothing for the next few seconds. If anyone had a knife to spare, they'd be able to cut the tension with it. But just as this seemed to be going south in the worst way possible, one person from that gang of mixed personalities stepped forward and simply embraced the Commander, soon followed by the rest of his number.

Everyone else held their silence out of respect, and for once silence was deafening.