Discovery Gaming Community
Do you have [a] favorite book(s) and/or poem(s)? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Real Life Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Thread: Do you have [a] favorite book(s) and/or poem(s)? (/showthread.php?tid=194851)

Pages: 1 2

Do you have [a] favorite book(s) and/or poem(s)? - Kherty - 11-03-2022

Hey there, how you doin'?

Just a question popped in my brain: do have any favorite book, or poem(s) you'd like to share? I'm genuinely curious and would like to maybe even read them.

Well then, I'll start with me.

Poems-wise, for me, it's the Prayer for Loving Sorrow by Francis Jammes, in French of course, but translations in English are available, but some differ. The other poems in that book are very good too.

And for books, hmm... Haven't read any in a while but I'd say the: Manual/Handbook/Enchiridion, by Epictetus, and of course, from my favorite philosopher and French auhor: Albert Camus, who wrote The Myth of Sisyphus by THE Albert Camus - it's interesting to read, and you can definitely learn a thing or two, just like the Handbook of Epictetus (which is designed for this).

I obviously don't consider myself a genius, I am far from it, but these books may really a good (re)starting point, especially in philosophy, where in France, it is a disregarded field, at least at lower education. Now for fiction, well, Metro 2033 of course. I need to finish the book though, but IDK whether to finish the book first, or the game first (actually again for the 4th or so time), Eh, I think I'll read it.

So, what are yours? Share 'em in here please! Would be cool!
But of course, please no off-topic discussion, or flaming, or whatever, please,
it's just replying to the question and get to know each other better outside of all these damn drama.

EDIT: Again, if you explain why, or just a few sentences, it would be perfect, really it is an attempt to get together around something.

RE: Do you have [a] favorite book(s) and/or poem(s)? - Xenon - 11-03-2022

[Image: 1-lord-of-the-rings-books-on-display-Aug182021-1.jpg]

RE: Do you have [a] favorite book(s) and/or poem(s)? - Kherty - 11-03-2022

(11-03-2022, 07:21 AM)Xenon Wrote: *snip*

Ah, these are true classics, aren't they. I should read them one day - but even for the movies, I don't have enough strength, haha.

No poems, philosophical books/essays, or other books in general liked? ^^
Not favorite like 1st place ever, just something you liked as well, if what I'm typing means something of course, lol.

Thanks, Xenon anyway, at least it reminded me of this series!

RE: Do you have [a] favorite book(s) and/or poem(s)? - Groshyr - 11-03-2022

RE: Do you have [a] favorite book(s) and/or poem(s)? - James Greed - 11-03-2022

Martha Wells - The Murderbot Diaries
Alastair Reynolds - Revelation Space, House of Suns, Slow Bullets, Poseidon's Wake trilogy
Joseph Heller - Catch 22
Almost anything from Philip K. Dick

Edit: Anything from Martha Wells is generally a good read. I really enjoy her style and world building. Besides, who doesn't like reading about a murderbot.

Same goes for Alastair Reynods, Revelation Space is a good space opera to chew through. I have yet to finish the Poseidon's ​Wake trilogy, but the first book was pretty good.

Catch 22 is a classic, same goes for most everything written by Philip K. Dick.

(11-03-2022, 08:53 AM)James Greed Wrote: Martha Wells - The Murderbot Diaries
Alastair Reynolds - Revelation Space, House of Suns, Slow Bullets, Poseidon's Wake trilogy
Joseph Heller - Catch 22
Almost anything from Philip K. Dick

Ah, finally something. I haven't heard of anything (almost certain all) from that list except of course Catch-22, and Philip K. Dick. I may finally check out Catch-22...!

Thanks for sharing!

RE: Do you have [a] favorite book(s) and/or poem(s)? - Shimamori - 11-03-2022

Poem - "Metamorphoses" by Ovid
Book - "A Hero of our time" by Lermontov
Philosophy - "Meditations" by Marcus Aurelius, "Ecce Homo" by Nietzsche, "Why I am not Christian?" by B. Russell
More Modern - "Homo Deus" by Y. N. Harari (popular science), "Flowers for Algeron" by D. Keyes (philosophical fiction), "Imagined Communities" by B. Anderson (sociology/anthropoly/politology), "Fiasco" by Stanislaw Lem (philosophy/science fiction)

RE: Do you have [a] favorite book(s) and/or poem(s)? - Toaster - 11-03-2022

Ulysses by Alfred, Lord Tennyson is a banger, especially the last five lines.

Because I could not stop for Death by Emily Dickinson is also great.

(11-03-2022, 11:46 AM)Shimamori Wrote: Poem - "Metamorphoses" by Ovid
Book - "A Hero of our time" by Lermontov
Philosophy - "Meditations" by Marcus Aurelius, "Ecce Homo" by Nietzsche, "Why I am not Christian?" by B. Russell
More Modern - "Homo Deus" by Y. N. Harari (popular science), "Flowers for Algeron" by D. Keyes (philosophical fiction), "Imagined Communities" by B. Anderson (sociology/anthropoly/politology), "Fiasco" by Stanislaw Lem (philosophy/science fiction)

Interesting collection, haven't read any of them except Meditations by Marcus Aurelius. And Ecche Homo by Nietzsche who has been on my bucket list for like, a million year. And I haven't heard about the rest, especially Metamorphoses by Ovid. I've read about it quickly on Wikipedia, it has been quite influential it seems, definitely needs a read.

Thanks for your reply!

(11-03-2022, 12:02 PM)Toaster Wrote: Ulysses by Alfred, Lord Tennyson is a banger, especially the last five lines.

Because I could not stop for Death by Emily Dickinson is also great.

Thanks for the two poems and the website, Toaster! I can agree, it's a certified banger. I like both. but especially the first.

RE: Do you have [a] favorite book(s) and/or poem(s)? - Kanzler Niemann - 11-03-2022

Krabat