Discovery Gaming Community
The Vienna Game - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Role-Playing (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Stories and Biographies (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+--- Thread: The Vienna Game (/showthread.php?tid=195285)

Pages: 1 2

The Vienna Game - Albrecht - 12-16-2022

The Emperor pondered for a moment, looking intently at the black and white squares in front of him, a clock in the room being the only sound, its' ticking mirroring his own heart beat as time marched on. He couldn't see a way out, yet he was determined to find one no matter how obvious it became that he was trapped. Still the seconds marched into minutes before finTheally he was forced to accept the inevitable

I concede He said, frustration and irritability filling his voice
Are you sure? You don't want to look a little harder came the voice in front of him, a teasing tone which only served to annoy the Kaiser more
I've seen enough. I abdicate A glare accompanied the statement before the sound of a crown falling made his point clear. It was met by laughter
All this time and you still can't beat me? I am surprised brother, surely you should have seen it coming. the voice in front of him said, lightened by mirth and joy.
It's a silly game. Long since past its 'use by' date and yet, we still play. Did you drag me here just to humiliate me?
Some might say the same of us, yet here we are. No, I did not call you here to humiliate you, in fact I called you to enjoy your company.

Silence reigned as the Kaiser looked across the chess board at his youngest brother. A smiled formed on both their faces, on of knowing and of a closer bond. Still trying to break me out of Court? the elder man asked with some degree of sarcasm You know that is a fruitless task, yet you still try. The younger man laughed in responseHope springs eternal no?
The pair began putting the pieces of their game away, back into an old wooden box that had sat silently beside the chess board for the duration of the game. With the table now cleared they simply sat across from one another, the empty circular hall offering little in the way of interest for them, even the welcoming glow of orange tinted sunlight failed to interest them as it glowed through the tall French styled windows. Once the palace was a monument to a bygone era, a relic of the Old Empire, preserved in time for the Republic 'educate' people against the dangers of Monarchism or Empire. Yet now it housed not just the Kaiser of Rheinland but his kin as well. Once more fulfilling it's purpose of guarding the Imperial Family and standing as a bastion of Order and Stability. Yet the hall in which the two brothers now sat was empty, except for the portraits along the walls of Nobles and Knights of the current Empire, all staring ahead in lifeless gaze, beautiful to behold but devoid of meaning except for those who knew.

What troubles you my King? The younger man asked after a time
Christian, I've told you. When we are alone, call me Hans. I cannot stand family calling me anything else when nothing else matters. Hans said in reply
Something is obviously bothering you brother, what is it? Surely no the succession Alexander will marry when he finds the right girl, whomever that will be. His younger brother said. A smile found its way to the older mans face, he hadn't even considered the crisis that might unfold upon his death, much less the romantic concerns of his brothers although the thought gave him immense pleasure. Alexander and Christian both were useless around women.
Bretonia...Why do they push us to expel groups when they cannot prove anything? Rheinland still needs time to build and recover, we need time to ensure our survival and yet they push and push, bringing problems we never asked for
Politics, the bane of all monarchs and yet, the source of their power, what a strange and unwelcomed fact of life for any head of state. Christian was hardly surprised, but equally concerned. Bretonia's behaviour lately had been a source of considerable headache for both the Imperial family and the House. He himself did not know why they wanted Auxesia thrown out, apart from the obvious accusations of infection and the minor detail that was them being mortal enemies. Still, involving Rheinland was a step they took that caught everyone off guard.
I don't know. Still, perhaps it is prudent we investigate quietly, just to make sure everything is above board. If nothing else we get to rest in the knowledge that nothing is afoot.
The Kaiser nodded slowly, You think bringing the girl was a good idea? He asked, skeptisim more than apparent in his voice.
His brother frowned Yes. Obviously. came the curt reply She is a good place to start and her dedication is apparent. I won't say she can be trusted, but she is good at her job and loyal. Something worth rewarding these days.
Very well. I will leave you to your investigations. It would be better if she did not see me, you represent the Crown in this matter. She should see you and only you. He stood, as did his brother. Christian gave a short bow, before it was returned by his Kaiser. As the older man left a younger man filled it, a servant who brought word of his guests arrival.
Kindly bring her to the Eastern balcony. I believe it would be better if she had fresh air and I would appreciate two guards on the door. I don't want to be interrupted by anything.

Leon Wolf watched the shuttle touch down gently, as its engines wound down the side doors opened and the boarding ramp slowly extended before a younger woman stepped out into the sunlight, She looked around before seeing him and two Household Guards by his side, as she started walking down towards them, Leon started to greet her Guten Tag frau Habermayer, we hope you had a pleasnt trip. Welcome to the Berlin schloss, home to his Imperial Majesty. I am Leon Wolf, Meister des Haushalts. His Highness has instructed me to take you to him.

With that, the man turned on his heel without waiting for a response and marched off toward the nearby entryway which lead into the palance. The two guards took up positions beside her and waited for her to begin walking, when they did they did so in lock step with one another. If there were staff in the palace, they hid themselves well, possibly due to the requiment for being elsewhere or maybe it was because Master Wolf had given specific instructions not to be seen by guests. Whatever the case, the four individuals traversed the white marble halls in complete silence, passing by portraits of the great and famous as well as marble sculptures of Rheinlands Presidents and Chancellors, preserved by order of the Kaiser, they may not be Imperial leaders, but they were leaders all the same, worthy of remembrance. Eventually, after walking for quite sometime and climbing many flights of stairs to reach the upper levels, they came to large double doors. Oddly out of place amid the Marble that was the rest of the palace, they were made of black wood and had been carved with the Imperial sigil. Wolf knocked three times before the word was given for entry. He opened both before standing aside and ushering her in, the two guardsmen simply took up flanking positions outside the room, refusing to enter further. Wolf himself closed the door behind her and left her alone inside, his footsteps fading back down the hallway.

This room in and of itself was far warmer in colour, being of reds and greens rather than white and gold. A desk covered in papers lay at its circular center, a few lone chairs lay around the rim of the room and a balcony which made up the outside perimeter of the room itself made it appear as though it was a tower, or battlement, not really connected to the palace proper. Deep blue curtains, which bordered the door leading to outside, fluttered in the breeze, behind which the outline of a man sitting at a table could be seen, enjoying the sunshine. He barely acknowledged her presence, rather waiting until she joined him before saying anything.

RE: The Vienna Game - Traudel Habermeyer - 12-17-2022

Once more Traudel found herself en route to a meeting with a significant figure in Rheinland. First Großadmiral von Thielau, now a part of the Kaiser's family summoned her. Naturally nervosity and tension was at an all time high, expressed by constantly fidgeting with an old fashioned locket. The image contained within modelled on archaic pictures of times neither Traudel nor her own family ever really knew, but clearly favored. A vintage or even antiquated style some might say, depicting a much more modern object - an Oder-class gunboat. Opening and closing it while bright blue eyes stared holes in the floor of the shuttle she had boarded earlier. The flight was almost over, time of idling and potentially panicking nearing its end. Shaky, gloved hands almost drop it as the shuttle lands. One last time its clasp makes a snapping sound, then the locked vanishes inside one of the dress uniform's breast pockets.

"This is it. Landfall. Links, zwo, drei, vier!" Thoughts are silenced, a mind put at ease by being tricked. With almost robotic movements Traudel gets up and leaves the shuttle, one short look around - then polished boots carry Oberleutnant Habermeyer over to Wolf. Simple and straight forward information as well direction, easy to work with. A nod is all that follows, as the man already turned. Prompting her to follow, presence of guards unexpectedly assisting in the literal mind game she successfully played with herself. Echoing footsteps a reminder to not think. To follow the rythm. "... zwo, drei, vier!" Only after the small group entered the palace, passed busts and paintings of Rheinland's leading figures, the gravity of it all began to sink in. Traudel was here. Here. And not just to guard the entrance. No, she had to walk inside. And the door had just been opened. Ever the good soldier, Traudel does as instructed. Eyes quickly scanning the room she found herself in. Layout, choice of colors and furniture, some of the papers on the desk... and then the balcony. The second her mind had managed to process the fact someone was in here with her, her posture automatically adjusted itself. The few steps needed to reach the table out on the balcony, nothing in comparison to all the ones taken before, ironically appeared never ending.

Having reached her destination, close but not too close to the man sitting at the table, not a single word was uttered. Neutral expression, blank. Clicking her heels, Oberleutnant Habermeyer remains at attention. Watching the rays of sunshine simply due to facing that way.
Oh how free the birds were out there...

RE: The Vienna Game - Albrecht - 01-25-2023

Don't be shy He called, turning his head away from the view to look at her briefly I think you will enjoy it more outside anyway. He enjoyed this spot in the palace, hard to find and quiet with a view. A small table sat to his left, where a bottle of water and two glasses neatly stacked on top of one another were sitting, he did not believe alcohol to be a good source of relaxation for many people and felt it was too early in the day to indulge in drink. This was largely a business meeting as it was, being intoxicated would not help the matter at hand.

Miss Haybermeyer your reputation precedes you and I am glad I can meet you in person.

RE: The Vienna Game - Traudel Habermeyer - 01-25-2023

The voice of a member of the Imperial Family reached her ears, prompting blue eyes to dart over to the side towards Christian. Body followed suit only moments later, taking a single step closer. A firm salute, quickly taking note of what was on the table before her attention remains centered on a point just slightly next to his face. "Your Imperial Highness - it is an honor having been summoned." Slight pause, with some hesitation the view the balcony offered is taken in again. "It is a tranquil and serene atmosphere here indeed. Yet i fear i have to appear contrary to an extent to this assessment. As Imperial presence will always elevate any place to one i will enjoy." Focus shifting back to Christian - or that spot slightly next to him rather. "Your Highness - duty is its own reward to me. That what i do reached this far and is worthy of your attention is more than i could have ever hoped for." Slightly lowering her head, Traudel remained where she was.

He nodded slowly but not looking at her again, rather reaching over the small table to drag out the other chair, offering her a seat. It is precisely because of your dedication to duty that you are here. It would appear you have information that I need and while I have read your reports, I am not wholly satisfied, largely because the content of your reports has suddenly become linked to an unfolding situation but mainly because you may yet shed light on certain elusive details. So please, make yourself comfortable.

He reached into his pockets and produced a cigarette which he proceeded to light, although the presence of tobacco looked as though it was intended for stress relief rather than pleasure as he smoked quickly and kept the case on the table next to him. I believe you are acquainted with the Technocracy of Auxo He said, finally tearing his gaze away from the distant mountains and fixing it on her alone.

She remains standing while Christian spoke, listening intently to every single word leaving his lips. The chair was noticed but not yet taken immediately, instead slight worry or concern spread across an otherwise professionally neutral face. With a slight nod Traudel stepped closer to the presented chair, taking a seat. Position upright, hands on her thighs. The goal of making oneself comfortable maybe not entirely fulfilled...

The case of cigarretes got but a few seconds of attention, water and glasses some more. Trying to silently gauge whether or not her host wished for some. As Christian shifted his gaze entirely on her those attempts ceased. "The Technocracy of Auxo? Ja, Your Highness. I am acquainted with at least some members i would say. Those that i ran into during the past here within the Empire. All major encounters were documented by me to the best of my abilities. I do believe there were some regular interactions next to planets or stations that i did not document in my reports or made one about, but these were usually surface level conversation i hold with many citizens or civilians within the realm. Should these be required, i can go through my records again."

He waved his hand dismissively at the suggestion, he had read the reports many times over, they held nothing new for him and the conclusions they gave were correct but not completely. The reports do not interest me, the individuals to whom you spoke do. Why are they in Rheinland? What do you speak to them about? Who do you speak to? What is their role in that organization? These are the questions I need answers to and for some reason they have taken a particular interest in you, I say that because if they weren't interested you would not get so much as a word from them. Yet, they have had whole conversations with you as their only companion, thus I must find out; what is it about you that has piqued their interest? He took a long drag from his cigarette, a trail of smoke exiting his nostrils while his eyes narrowed their focus. Their presence causes issues, issues we had hoped to avoid, nevertheless they are entitled to the benefit of the doubt. So I will ask, what is your personal opinion of them?

As Christian's focus stayed on Traudel, she frowned a little and kept her own attention directed at the chosen point next to his face. Clearly in thought for a couple of moments after his words. "Should i have unknowingly caused Your Highness any trouble whatsoever i can only deeply apologize for my actions. I have to admit i am surprised they would not have talked to me at all if there was no particular reason. They appeared rather amicable. Or maybe that was just me. What it is about me that got them interested is unknown to me, all i strive for is to offer those i meet at least a modicum of respect under all circumstances. After all, i represent more than just myself while on duty. Except that i simply enjoy conversation - they seemed captivating." Pursing her lips, eyes following some of the exhaled smoke.

"The ones i predominantly talk to are Revenant and Lazurith, in that order. The latter i only met a good amount of time later, while Revenant used to be present from almost the very beginning if i recall correctly. There were others, but only once or twice. Not as recurring as the former two names. Revenant, according to her own words, used to be part of their Directorate but no longer is. She still has some influence there. For instance the offer to convince said Directorate to potentially provide advanced technology for our capital vessels."

Obviously sifting through her memories, as eyes began to move a bit more. Looking at different things in a slowish fashion while talking. "Their reason to be in Rheinland is, i believe, to not be hunted as in some of the other Houses from what i heard. A few times they just travelled through the Empire to other places i was not aware of. As noted in the reports, i received help at every turn and especially welcomed this during Nomad related encounters close to or within the Empire." Tapping her knee with her right hand a few times at this point. "We talked about everyday topics, like art, education and pastime, but also events that occured while together, i was educated about some more details in regards to Nomad behaviour and what to look out for. What readings can give something away in case of the situation with that infested Ex-Kruger vessel in Sigma-15 for example. To prevent me falling for their trickery." The nearby water on the table is eyed a bit, another frown follows but clears up - being replaced by faint smile.

"My opinion of them is a good one, Your Highness. They went out of their way to assist me when in a thight spot or faced with overwhelming odds time and time again and expected nothing in return. At least so far as i am concerned, they are pleasant to talk to and even started informing available Rheinwehr forces about smugglers or unwelcome vessels heading for our borders. This is something i value and can respect, as none of them are expected to do any of this. That other Houses and groups hunt them does worry me, as foreign intelligence going so far as to attack them within our territory makes me wonder why. I did hear about accusations of being Nomad worshippers, infected or soulless 'toasters' as some called them, but should that be the case they had several chances to strike or catch me without any witnesses and do whatever with or to me. Yet nothing like that ever happened. Since my first direct Nomad encounter i regularly visit Rheinwehr and indepent medical staff more often than regular schedule dictates and both confirm i am a picture of health, got no additional ... err... entities or objects within me and do not deviate from my previous mental profiles in any major way."

RE: The Vienna Game - Albrecht - 01-26-2023

He held his gaze, fixing upon her eyes, nose and mouth as she spoke and turned away once she was done. Her personal account wasn't enough to convince him, there were few people in the universe willing to be genuinely altruistic and he was not convinced that the Technocracy were pure in their intentions. He stood up and moved toward the balcony railings, hands grasping at the guard rail as his unamused expression now gazed at the gardens below whilst being unable to focus on any one thing in particular.

Why should they be altruistic? Why bother explaining the convoluted means by which Nomads trick people to anyone? Why explain to her? His finger slowly began to tap at the rail in frustration. It was possible they were grooming her, gaining her trust, weakening her guard for a favour. A favour given to a friend is so much easier to obtain than one of gratitude after all and a friendly face in the military goes a long way. A set up, perhaps? A game for the long run, one where they might be able to twist loyalties to their advantage. Perhaps Bretonia was right, that did not excuse them from the BIS incident but it did not automatically mean they were wrong either. Revenant and Lazurith...tell me of them. Who are they? How did you meet them, your first meeting that is. Where was it? What do you know of them? His voice was colder now, the voice of someone who was in the middle of a problem that needed solving, the sound of a man who did not get a great deal of sleep. His finger continued a slow rhythmic tap against the rails and his face remained turned away, hiding the scowl that had now appeared upon it which he in turn directed toward the perfect garden below.

RE: The Vienna Game - Traudel Habermeyer - 01-28-2023

Not particularly long after Christian got up, Traudel followed suit in a quick motion. Adjusting her uniform, befoe both hands rested behind her back. She did not dare follow up to the railing and instead remained close to the table. "Of course, Your Highness. I have met both in Hamburg for the first time. Revenant shortly before an encounter with a rather vocal and problematic member of the Bundschuh whom i had to take down close to the New Berlin jump gate. That is the first report of mine that mentions her, if i am not mistaken. And my first real interaction with her, before that i had merely seen her passing by. Said she was there to check on the business deals in the Cologne system, something about building rights on Saarbrucken?" Traudel paused, eyeing the mountains in the distance. "Ja, that must've been it. Worrying about the debris still around and clean up operations in the sector. She struck me as deeply caring for her people who are in need of such a place, yet at the same time willing to tackle even more issues that crept up. Mentioned some political noise in the Taus, trade becoming more difficult with Gallia."

With a light frown Traudel's eyes wander from the scenery back towards the water. "Revenant seems to suffer from some affliction or illness of sorts i know not the details of, but it has never deterred her from continuing on. I take that as the sign of a fighter and or someone with great dedication to something. Instead of giving in or pitying themselves. That may be one of the reasons i kept talking to Revenant, i saw good qualities."

"Lazurith i met for the first time somewhere in the Alsterfeld in Hamburg, both him and Revenant were on their way to ... Bering i believe and picked up my signal. I was jumpepd by a group of local criminals and both were kind enough to lend me a hand, then allowed me to safely get a trade lane and thus reach planet Hamburg as an infested vessel appeared on our scanners, F-88. Heading right for me. They kept it at bay. It was but a brief introduction, yet Lazurith and me were given a chance to talk more only a couple days later. Interrupted by the same infected vessel again, where he assisted me in taking it out. Afterwards we had a quiet moment. Talked about what he was doing in Rheinland, which was basically following Revenant and assisting in the previously mentioned business matters and keeping each other safe. And, again, to not be a target as in the other Houses. Him and me discovered the same interest in science to a degree, as well as being fascinated by all new things in general. He described himself as a researcher with focus on technology sciences." She took a deeper breath, watching Christian for a couple of seconds.

"From that point onwards Lazurith came to my aid more often, i showed him around Rheinland when my duties permitted it and we talked about the dangers of infected vessels and what F-88 might have wanted here, or with me, to begin with. Lazurith appeared a bit more in the process of either finding himself ... or finding a good spot to stand on, if that makes sense. As in ... mhhmh ... " She gestured a little while attempting to find the right words. " ... somewhat going far to prove either to himself or others he was worth something? I sensed insecurity about the value of completed tasks, even though his conduct was exemplary and i wish more visitors or citizens of Rheinland would do so." Having finished her report she cleared her throat once, stared down at her boots and then back towards the railing Christian was holding.