Discovery Gaming Community
Why do you like player owned bases? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Why do you like player owned bases? (/showthread.php?tid=195583)

Pages: 1 2 3

Why do you like player owned bases? - SnakThree - 01-11-2023

I never saw an appeal in managing a POB, so would like to hear why others find it enjoyable.

RE: Why do you like player owned bases? - Major. - 01-11-2023

Only for mining - aka storing ore. (Timezones and the low amount of players are a problem, where mining PoB's can help out a little bit. Oh, and everything else except PVE and Ore trading is not worth it)

RE: Why do you like player owned bases? - Emperor Tekagi - 01-11-2023

I used to (I still own it actually) operate one as a pet project for a smuggler hub.
Turns out smuggling remained extremely unpopular over the last 4 years, so I abandoned it. Joke being it is actually invincible.

I helped building up the DHC PoB for example, as Major stated, it's sole purpose was ore storage. It did well as such but that is it. Either they are ore storages or pet projects tbh.

RE: Why do you like player owned bases? - Groshyr - 01-11-2023

Has potential to be a well source for a lot of RP and logistics-related activities, money-sink. However reality is rather grim - drama, 24/7 supplying because plugin's tear'n'wear and else quantities of supply weren't adjusted to the modern playerbase count. Needs overhaul to become viable, need rules adjustment, such as sieges of core 2+ demand admins' approval or else way to reduce the trollolo sieges which end in endless drama and salty threads with demands to restore their "illegaly" sieged POBs

RE: Why do you like player owned bases? - Karlotta - 01-11-2023

Appealing part:

They are useful for storing stuff, can create and concentrate fun activity, they let you build special gear, and they let you build something into the game universe that is "larger" than a ship, which can add to the immersion and your (and other peoples) motivation to play.

Unappealing part:

Unfortunately in discoGC there are several factors that ruin the existing potential of the pob plugin, namely:

- "local chiefs" such as house governments, pirate warlords, or similar "powermonger" type people who misuse their power and POB vulnerabilities to push others around and block their contributions to the game world, mostly because they see them as rivals for "being the most importantest" in "their" area

- admins and devs who are incapable of creating rules (and mechanics, but rules would already be enough) that assist players in building POBs in ways that enhance the game instead of creating aesthetically unappealing "spam" in weird and counter-productive places

RE: Why do you like player owned bases? - St.Denis - 01-11-2023

As a POB Owner, I find it gives me the 'something to do' in this Universe.

You find the appeal of playing pirates and shooting ships keeps you happy, whereas it doesn't, never has, appealed to me.
You also seem to like Trading, which other people find a chore.

If everyone had the same interests, then the World would be a rather boring place.

"Different strokes for different folks".

RE: Why do you like player owned bases? - Xenon - 01-11-2023

(01-11-2023, 08:19 PM)St.Denis Wrote: As a POB Owner, I find it gives me the 'something to do' in this Universe.

You find the appeal of playing pirates and shooting ships keeps you happy, whereas it doesn't, never has, appealed to me.
You also seem to like Trading, which other people find a chore.

If everyone had the same interests, then the World would be a rather boring place.

"Different strokes for different folks".

[Image: captain-barbossa.gif]

RE: Why do you like player owned bases? - Binski - 01-11-2023

I am just as puzzled by those who don't like them, and therefore seem against other players using them.

There are countless ways they can be used to enhance the game, it's depth, and add to the story even in generic ways.

Freelancer had a great unused potential that was expanded upon in what seemed like as many ways the original devs could come up with. Despite claims that people only play here for RP, or must or should only want RP out of a pc multiplayer game, there is more to Discovery Freelancer than that. It's not D&D, if so, why bother with a game as a common medium for the players? Sadly, the supression of POB's and what can be done with them seems more about sparing lazier players inconveniences.

Think of what little there would be to do in the game itself without the players being able to build within the game, and add some tangeability to their actions, add new things to do, and so on. Avoiding monotony in a game like this should be a top priority. The last few months were really active and exciting, and all due to POB's letting us actually do stuff as is done in the Freelancer world.

I find the POB angst a strange form of self destructivism, this place maintained depth by letting us find actual purpose to our activities, that can all be roleplayed around. POB's are an ingenius way of doing that.

In regards to the DSE - BretGov situation, I think at the very least it warrants a joint inrp court case, let DSE sue? Pick someone to be a judge, maybe 3 people to be jury, let them make their cases, and let that settle it.

Oorply perhaps they can wait longer before demolishing bases, they can't be that heavy on the server load. Want to ease the server's processing, cut the tech compat plugin, let people use whatever they want, and actually let mismatched equipment uses be worried about inrp. We literally use a plugin to remove countless reasons to scan and search vessels, rp'able consequences. Again the drive to avoid inconvenience becomes a drive to avoid gameplay/rp.

What we should be allowing is more reasons to make use of POB's and their equipment. People don't come here to only sit in space and talk. Take Omega-55 for example, after what the DTR achieved, their next logical step would be to siege Kamchatka itself to capture it, an ability now plausible due to advances made by a POB. If only it were allowed, and under organization to keep it fair, like an event. The Coalition was not so active, as far as I'm concerned, a faction can stay active and maintain it's territory, or most of it would go to those who are. Many factions would benefit from that, and it would serve to keep the economy constantly stimulated.

We trade to make money to buy ships to use for battles. At this point, if flying aimlessly, or flying a small fleet in an enemy's system for a short meaningless battle is all you need, then things only ever go so far before the monotony sets in. People want more! Make some real headlines for once. POB wars are 10 times more interesting and exciting than any scripted war ever was.

RE: Why do you like player owned bases? - Dr. Richard Batsbak - 01-11-2023

Well i build my PoB as a part of my RP ( It failed but not because of the Pob, i just suck at doing RP )

Pobs can be used in many ways like an HQ for your Faction, as part of an RP, or just to store things like Equipment or Ore.
As well as give factions something to do. like how i try to involve factions in supply stuff.

The fact that you got control over a base, which blends in with the normal game world ( if you buy the skins ) gives you more impact than just flying around in your ship.
It is the only way that you get control over something else than just a ship. for example, if you got a trading faction you can use any other base that already exist but you cant change anything about that.
With an PoB you can decide who can dock, what to buy and sell or what do you produce.

Tbh i dont know why ppl cry over the upkeep.
If you got a pob within the major houses, i think it is a really small time investment.
I am doing all the Upkeep by my own. by that i mean the stuff you need for wear and tear. Stuff for expansion ill do like 50-60% the rest i pay others.
( it may be a dealbreaker for others, since i work from home and do this on the side )

i think the only downside is that the core element, the cloak/docking/jumpdrive fabs need to be reworked.
At this point there is no need for building fabs by your own since like 7 out of 10 ppl sell this stuff already.

It would be great to see PoB as something you cant manage by your own, in the way that you need to work together with others, and that this hopefully results in more RP.

RE: Why do you like player owned bases? - DSE|= - 01-11-2023

There are 220 PoB's currently. PoB's is a major reason for player attraction and retention.

There are 25 barges now. May be we should have much larger dockable but static barges that are heavily fortified and armoured so if they do get destroyed, they can respawn. 25 barges means a lot of trading... moving stuff from PoB's to other places.

DSE|- has always, it seems, used them as a focal point in RP. Old Trafford was built to help rebuild Manchester 5 years ago and has been its HQ. Veltman Smelter was built to deconstruct Southampton shipyard, and even has a major history in helping build other PoB's under contract.

Just reading the volume of forum RP alone for DSE|- is a long read going back to 2017! Lots of players and characters. It has had trials and tribulations by the various CEO's, had a franchise system, helped in the major rebuild of Bretonia, and has been involved with extensive RP ingame and in forums. Fe

Personally I find a richness in having historical memories around PoB's especially the interplay with other players. Teaming up to help build or RP a PoB purchase or move for example. It is a lot of fun!