Discovery Gaming Community
Back from the past - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Welcome (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=399)
+--- Forum: Introduce Yourself (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Thread: Back from the past (/showthread.php?tid=195880)

Pages: 1 2

Back from the past - Misha_Gottlich - 01-30-2023

Hello fellow starfarers. My name is Misha. I'm a veteran Freelancer player, but am extremely rusty as I have not played in several years. Its so great to see such an active community here for such an old game. I used to love RPing on the old "Tides of War" server until it died so many years ago. I look forward to having lots of fun with a new group of super pilots!

RE: Back from the past - Kauket - 01-30-2023

welcome

Feel free to ask for help on the Main Discord

https://discord.com/invite/FdSkbZ8

RE: Back from the past - Misha_Gottlich - 02-10-2023

This is crazy! Since when do players have access to the admin server commands!?!?

Back in my day, if you wanted to change your name, you had to request an ADMIN to do it for you! Now you can not only change your own name, but you can sell an entire character, equipment, creds, rep and all to another player!!!

Have the server admins REALLY gotten that lazy that they need to put these abilities in the hands of the players? Can they not be bothered to edit my faction rep if I wanna play a Pirate character, or move me to a friendly base if I get stuck!!!

Why am I the only one that thinks its a bit BROKEN that a brand new player with a friend in the forum could start a game and just BUY a fully outfitted capital ship complete with faction REP and a full bank of credits for, lets just say 100cred in game! Am I the only one that thinks selling a character is cheating???

RE: Back from the past - Jayenbee - 02-10-2023

(02-10-2023, 02:43 PM)Misha_Gottlich Wrote: This is crazy! Since when do players have access to the admin server commands!?!?

Back in my day, if you wanted to change your name, you had to request an ADMIN to do it for you! Now you can not only change your own name, but you can sell an entire character, equipment, creds, rep and all to another player!!!

Have the server admins REALLY gotten that lazy that they need to put these abilities in the hands of the players? Can they not be bothered to edit my faction rep if I wanna play a Pirate character, or move me to a friendly base if I get stuck!!!

Why am I the only one that thinks its a bit BROKEN that a brand new player with a friend in the forum could start a game and just BUY a fully outfitted capital ship complete with faction REP and a full bank of credits for, lets just say 100cred in game! Am I the only one that thinks selling a character is cheating???

What the hell are you smoking? How about you get in game and play it first before you start making wide sweeping presumptions like that.

EDIT: Actually play the game y'know? Our ways will be understood once you experience how it is.

RE: Back from the past - Kauket - 02-10-2023

I hate to tell you this but /movechar has always been a thing.

What's the point in giving admins even more work? These are now features that players can decide to do for themselves. And players selling off gear, well, it still cost to buy it in the first place, it's up to them if they want to get profit out of it again or make a loss. What a ridiculous boomer take to say that everything has to be manual.

You're not forced to buy goods off of other players, though, these things aren't necessarily always sold. Whether you are serious or trolling, you should probably play the game for a good while before making judgement.

(02-10-2023, 02:57 PM)Kauket Wrote: I hate to tell you this but /movechar has always been a thing.

What's the point in giving admins even more work? These are now features that players can decide to do for themselves. And players selling off gear, well, it still cost to buy it in the first place, it's up to them if they want to get profit out of it again or make a loss. What a ridiculous boomer take to say that everything has to be manual.

You're not forced to buy goods off of other players, though, these things aren't necessarily always sold. Whether you are serious or trolling, you should probably play the game for a good while before making judgement.

I've been playing the game since it was NEW back in 2003! Call me a "boomer" if you want, but I like a little balance in my online games!

[Image: Screenshot_23.png]

Whats stopping an established player from selling super expensive gear to their buddies that are new to the game. Doesn't this take away from the capabilities of new players that DONT have access to friends online that can sell them top tier gear for pennies? I'm aware of the balance between ship classes, but where is the balance if a completely new player can start off fresh with a 500 million credit cap ship that they bought of their friend/coworker that talked them into playing the game yesterday for 100 in game credits?!?!

And don't just say, "well life isn't usually fair or balanced" because this ISN'T LIFE! Its a GAME and it is the job of the admins and devs to make sure that it is fair, balanced, and FUN for all the players... NOT just the ones that have friends or that have been on the server for years!

RE: Back from the past - Toaster - 02-10-2023

Mate, this is a tiny little online community that turned an arcade space shooter into a barely functional platform for roleplaying. It is not a big game managed and developed by an actual dev studio and publisher.

Manage your expectations.

(02-10-2023, 03:22 PM)Toaster Wrote: Mate, this is a tiny little online community that turned an arcade space shooter into a barely functional platform for roleplaying. It is not a big game managed and developed by an actual dev studio and publisher.

Manage your expectations.

That doesn't give the admins or devs the right to implement game mechanics that break the game! You are SUPPOSED to need to play for a long time and EARN the creds to buy a big cap ship or huge transport frigate... If a new player can come in and be essentially "gifted" an endgame ship or equipment buy "buying" their friends character, that's not fair to players that need to grind their noses off to get one!

RE: Back from the past - Mephistoles - 02-10-2023

If you continue seeking outrage wherever you can like you have been doing the last few days, you are not going to enjoy your time here. It would be better to calm down about things and just have fun playing the game.

In the meantime, your signature is too wide:

1.7 - Pictures that exceed 700px width or signatures that exceed 700*250px*3 MB are not allowed on the forum.

You can use the [sigimg] bbcode tags to automatically scale your signature to the permitted size. This is how it works, and you can copy and paste this into your forum account signature settings:

Code:
[sigimg]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/354664252151431177/1072576074698993714/Misha_Gottlich_Sig.png[/sigimg]

RE: Back from the past - Kauket - 02-10-2023

(02-10-2023, 03:18 PM)Misha_Gottlich Wrote: I've been playing the game since it was NEW back in 2003! Call me a "boomer" if you want, but I like a little balance in my online games!

Whats stopping an established player from selling super expensive gear to their buddies that are new to the game. Doesn't this take away from the capabilities of new players that DONT have access to friends online that can sell them top tier gear for pennies? I'm aware of the balance between ship classes, but where is the balance if a completely new player can start off fresh with a 500 million credit cap ship that they bought of their friend/coworker that talked them into playing the game yesterday for 100 in game credits?!?!

And don't just say, "well life isn't usually fair or balanced" because this ISN'T LIFE! Its a GAME and it is the job of the admins and devs to make sure that it is fair, balanced, and FUN for all the players... NOT just the ones that have friends or that have been on the server for years!

I've been playing since the early days too. Doesn't mean anything. And in ANY other game this is the same circumstance you're claiming, you can get friends to help you anyway, unless you're playing a singleplayer game - which in that case, people can use cheats.

If you actually played the game, you'd realised that there is no 'meta' for equipment, they're all balanced to their own way. Doesn't matter if you have a 3 billion worth Dreadnoughts, you can still get killed by the bombers that are worth 20 million.

Put it into perspective, would you really spend the 5 hours of your free time coming home, just doing mundane noise like moving ships, etc for 500 players because someone wanted to be a traditionalist instead of doing something interesting or fun? Come on, be real. Of course you would automate it. No one wants a second job.