Discovery Gaming Community
PSA For Operation Pesticide RP - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: News and Announcements (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: PSA For Operation Pesticide RP (/showthread.php?tid=197284)

Pages: 1 2

PSA For Operation Pesticide RP - Reeves - 05-25-2023

Due to a miscommunication between the writer and myself, no canonical date of the event's briefing was provided. The briefing will be retconned to take place on the day of the event, May 27.

Any RP that has emerged around the event, the leak of the briefing, etc. should also be considered to canonically take place no sooner than May 27.

I did not expect the event post to lead to this much motivated roleplay being done beforehand and ask the community to play along with this mild retcon for the sake of story continuity. I am posting this here as an announcement and in the event thread itself, alongside an amended event briefing header for the sake of visibility. I'm sorry if this has proved jarring, it's my first time running a proper story event.

RE: PSA For Operation Pesticide RP - Czechmate - 05-25-2023

You should write story events as a narrative explaining the situation in a detached form, then make canon comm post like Skorak did when you need it to be released.

RE: PSA For Operation Pesticide RP - Petitioner - 05-25-2023

(05-25-2023, 03:24 PM)Reeves Wrote:
Due to a miscommunication between the writer and myself, no canonical date of the event's briefing was provided. The briefing will be retconned to take place on the day of the event, May 27.

Any RP that has emerged around the event, the leak of the briefing, etc. should also be considered to canonically take place no sooner than May 27.

I did not expect the event post to lead to this much motivated roleplay being done beforehand and ask the community to play along with this mild retcon for the sake of story continuity. I am posting this here as an announcement and in the event thread itself, alongside an amended event briefing header for the sake of visibility. I'm sorry if this has proved jarring, it's my first time running a proper story event.

I do personally find it a little lame to retcon it because you didn't expect anyone to actually engage with your story event. However, that being said, it's a relatively mild change and considering it's your first time doing this, I certainly think it's forgivable. Thank you for actually doing events at all, I'd heard some time ago that the team had an official policy against them "because they're lame" despite the fact they're massively popular so it's nice to see that that isn't the case.

RE: PSA For Operation Pesticide RP - Stoner_Steve - 05-25-2023

Personally I think the current evolution of events should remain in place. Otherwise I feel it's slightly hard to justify where all these Zoner cruiser popped up from if Liberty has always had an issue with foreign capital ships in their space. These sorts of minor escalations on each side better helps flush out the final antagonistic result that is going to be the battle itself and the consequences resulting therein.

Taking the First Fleet as an example. I very much enjoyed watching them subtlety ratchet up the consequences for the indy zoners, first a fine with a request to leave, then ending with a bounty and a call for further support from other LibNav assets

RE: PSA For Operation Pesticide RP - Lusitano - 05-25-2023

Czechmate already said it so i'm not repeating it. but it is ok, it is good to admit that something wasn't done well, and this could be your first time, but there are event made by "pros" that always happen crap. for me the mistake is, Erie is not a controlled planet by zoners, there is nothing zoner on that planet that show it, the ring is lpi, no zoner npcs even on the bar and even less on the vendors. what is zoner are self rule cities, or city states that are controlled by zoners. that is set even from the begging of the game. no problem with that. so what i said it is bad written is that ... there are already liberty forces on the planet, so no need to occupy the capital, maybe secure the capital .. ok since many zoners on the capital, with no name. and like i said with the transports, due the nature of the planet and the disperse location of the zoner city states, like the planet infocard says, you have to bring alot of troops to take those cities state, as well the high number of zoner population, way high than gran canaria, and for that bretonia had to get about one thousand transports for so many troops. also what i find that is missing are what happens if liberty wins or zoner wins. when players know what is on stake, tend to be more motivated to play.

RE: PSA For Operation Pesticide RP - Aazalot - 05-25-2023

Zoners cant win

RE: PSA For Operation Pesticide RP - Czechmate - 05-25-2023

(05-25-2023, 05:12 PM)Petitioner Wrote:
(05-25-2023, 03:24 PM)Reeves Wrote:

I do personally find it a little lame to retcon it because you didn't expect anyone to actually engage with your story event. However, that being said, it's a relatively mild change and considering it's your first time doing this, I certainly think it's forgivable. Thank you for actually doing events at all, I'd heard some time ago that the team had an official policy against them "because they're lame" despite the fact they're massively popular so it's nice to see that that isn't the case.
Although it's hard not to feel a little satisfaction at the same person who got the rule introduced that you can't purposefully ruin signup events in an organized way now flailing about now trying to make events of their own (Not making this up, Reeves called admins names, ruined a Coronado Signup event despite asked not to and got sanctioned for it)

Events are vital. You will make mistakes creating them - it's hard not to feel impressed at the amount of RP this one has generated - the retcon is not possible and will be ignored obviously, you can't just retcon player RP like that - it ain't canon in the first place - but events are the lifeblood of discovery and I hope the attempts continue. Event organizers get better with each attempt too. You will get crap from people at every event, it's just inevitable, Reeves' past self Exhibit A with the intentional ruining in the past, the only metric, in the end, will be if people will show up to it or not and have a good time, or not.

RE: PSA For Operation Pesticide RP - Goddess Astra - 05-25-2023

As the one who yeeted the hornet's nest into a grizzly bear, I'm a little sad that we're tweaking things a bit, and honestly a bit frustrated. It does mess with my RP a bit and I'm going to have to figure out some stuff for the interim. It's also frustrating because it did feel like a change that came suddenly out of nowhere, after a ton of RP has already happened related to it. It would honestly feel better to me if we let it stand as is, since so many people were mistaken.

However, the event is preeeetty close now, and I understand making a mistake and then feeling like things are wrong because of it. I'm more interested in making sure that everyone's happy than getting my way in this, and Reeves has been super communicative and accommodating throughout all of this.

In the future I do think it's better to roll with mistakes than to retcon, but as people said, this is your first major story event, and you're already doing a great job. This event is literally single-handedly reviving my interest in Discovery, and the importance of that can't be understated.

EDIT: For clarity's sake, I'm going to mention here that Nicole's whistleblowing will have a very small tweak, but is going to remain on the forums. The timing will just be vague, and closer to the event inRP, and it will still be considered to be Before The Event. I have no idea how this is going to affect ingame RP but we're doing it live, folks, let's roll with it.

RE: PSA For Operation Pesticide RP - Black.Cat - 05-25-2023

Notice how this event raised a stir in RP circles. So why not leave it as it is? People want to develop this situation, and to limit them in this way is not very correct. It's been a long time since there was such activity and enthusiasm in the RP process of people around the admin-RP event. It even caused interactions between the governments of the Sirius... #freedomofevent

RE: PSA For Operation Pesticide RP - Czechmate - 05-26-2023

Can't retcon player RP really, just redact this statement, let it happen as it did happen, and it will anyways - you have no choice but to roll with it now.

Otherwise, it's just bizarre why Zoner caps and big fleets have just appeared in Liberty and started shooting stuff without the leak, etc. What's done is done.