Discovery Gaming Community
Ship devaluation - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Ship devaluation (/showthread.php?tid=19760)

Ship devaluation - AfriXan - 04-26-2009

I've looked for this info with the search function and haven't been able to find it so I thought I would ask here.

1. Exactly how much does your ship devalue the moment you buy it from the shipyard?

2. Is it really necessary? It seems a bit strange that its actually less worthwhile to upgrade from small (percheron) to middle (firefly) and then to large (bretonia train), than just to keep going with the Perch until you have the money (150-188 mil) for a train.

I understand that second hand would be cheaper and all that, but I don't think that a second hand ship with improved shields, guns, scanners, etc etc. would be SO much cheaper. As it is, my ship (which cost 14 mil or so when I bought it) is worth less than the cargo it transports.

Right now there are very few new traders about. All I ever seem to see is trains and whales. It seems like nobody is going for the middle size ships unless their ID specifically prohibits the use of large (5000) ships.

Changing this even a little would make it easier for new traders to get into the game and wouldn't affect the "evil" power-traders because they all have big ships already.

I realise that we dont want everybody in capships but there are already plenty of capship restricting measures in existence. Please don't target us poor traders.

Of course, I may be mistaken and the devaluation is minuscule in which case sorry for wasting your time.

Ship devaluation - SigCorps - 04-26-2009

I want to say that the ship can be traded in on 50% of it's original value. That does not include the equipment you bought. The equipment can also be traded in for 50% also. SO it you buy a border worlds transport for 20 mil and then trade it in later for something bigger you'll get 10 mil for the base ship and then 50% of all the equipment you trade in with it. Remember that you can keep all the equipment you attached to the ship after you bought it.

You are correct in that it is more cost effective to stay with the smaller ship and just make all the money to buy the new ship. Having worked up several traders, sometimes it is better to buy the mid level transport to make money faster then to stay with the smaller freighter. Yes most of us go for the biggest ship we can fly, since this is how we make our cash. If I ever decide to make another trader for RP only then I will fly what is most suited for that characters RP.

Ship devaluation - Camtheman Of Freelancer4Ever - 04-28-2009

Not even close to half. You only get 250,000,000 back if you sell your Battleship back, and you buy it for 750,000,000. Dont you love realism? I would be suing the shipyard.

Ship devaluation - pchwang - 04-28-2009

Well, considering the amount of damage that your ship has taken, not including deaths, I'd consider 1/3 a great deal. Try to get that rate with a car at a junkyard or a used car dealership. You'd be surprised by the hard slap real life would deliver to your face.

Ship devaluation - Camtheman Of Freelancer4Ever - 04-28-2009

I would do exactly what I would do in real life if someone screwed me like that.

Crash my ship into the shipyard. Boom.

But then again, People have tried to compare every aspect of discovery with Real Life. And No. It doesnt work. This is the year ~3518 A.D.

Ship devaluation - pchwang - 04-28-2009

Quote:I would do exactly what I would do in real life if someone screwed me like that.

Crash my ship into the shipyard. Boom.

But then again, People have tried to compare every aspect of discovery with Real Life. And No. It doesnt work. This is the year ~3518 A.D.
lulz.

Read my post again:

Quote:Well, considering the amount of damage that your ship has taken, not including deaths, I'd consider 1/3 a great deal. Try to get that rate with a car at a junkyard or a used car dealership. You'd be surprised by the hard slap real life would deliver to your face.
I'm not even comparing Disco to RL. I'm talking about trying to reselling a car with 70,000 miles on it back to a dealership. If your solution to getting ripped off by the dealership when they offer to buy your once $34,000 car for $8,500 so they can resell it and make a profit is to sue them or throw a fit, grow up.

Ship devaluation - tansytansey - 04-29-2009

' Wrote:Not even close to half. You only get 250,000,000 back if you sell your Battleship back, and you buy it for 750,000,000. Dont you love realism? I would be suing the shipyard.

Isn't 250mil of that the Battleship license, though? So the actual ship without the license costs 500mil... 500/2 = 250.
I could be wrong, though, I've only ever flown battleships in cases where money isn't a problem (lan and openSP)

You should chose a ship to fit your traders' role, rather than just going for the biggest on the market. I still fly a Firefly despite having enough credits to buy 5-6 adv. trains because I play as a smuggler, and I need a faster ship.
It also makes sense that ships and equipment devalue after the initial purchase. You'll find most things in life that you buy will be this way, including cars and computers. Property is the only thing off the top of my head that is an investment.