Discovery Gaming Community
New PoB Guide - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: News and Announcements (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: New PoB Guide (/showthread.php?tid=200477)

Pages: 1 2 3

New PoB Guide - TheKusari - 11-15-2023

Hello there, everyone!

I have spent the last few days overhauling the Player-Owned Base Guide to be much easier to read.
In addition to this, I have included some details relating to the content added in with Patch 5.0.

Hope you all appreciate the new look for the guide.

Player-Owned Base Guide

RE: New PoB Guide - Karlotta - 11-15-2023

There are a lot of sentences that don't give any useful information to players. They should be removed to make the text shorter and easier/faster to learn the mechanics from. Credits should go to the end not the beginning of the document.

That same mistake is made by a lot of tutorials in disco, which are written in the style of "I'm going to show my vast knowledge of the subject in this tutorial and make sure people know how much I know and know I am a really cool person for writing this".

They should be written in a style that makes things easy to find, quick to read, and easy to learn. You do readers a favor by not telling them things they dont need to know, like the history of 4.86 and whatnot, or who tested in the first paragraph. Also try to use the least amount of words possible to say something. (while staying accurate, grammatically correct, and with good reading flow).

EDIT: Also, while going through it I noticed that the table format doesn't always do justice to the text flow. Probably some of the text needs to be adapted to it.

Example on how to make it shorter (open a second window with the original text to compare for changes):

PLAYER-OWNED BASE GUIDE

Updated for 5.0, 15-11-2023
Fancy yourself a station administrator? You'll need deep pockets or friends with heavy transports. Both would be better!

This guide details what you'll need to construct your base, the commands used to do so, and various other tidbits you should know before staking your claim in space.

INDEX
  • Clicking on a Part will jump you to that section.
  • Part V : Factories & Crafting Recipes
    • Bulk Storage Module
    • Docking Module Factory
    • Jump Drive Factory
    • Hyperspace Scanner Factory
    • Cloaking Device Factory
    • Cloak Disruptor Factory
    • Exotic Weapons Foundry
    • Exotic Equipment Fabricator

Part I
QUICK START GUIDE

The Player Base feature allows players to construct persistent yet destructible bases in certain locations. They require regular supply to maintain and are capable of producing items like cloaks, jump drives, hyperspace scanners, and docking bay modules. They can also house ore refineries, weapon foundries, and several quality of life updates.

Preparing to Deploy the Base

1. Get a "Hercules"-Class Civilian Base Construction Platform.
2. Gather the commodities on the right in its hold:

• 2,500,000 credits
  • 150 Industrial Materials
  • 150 Super Alloy
  • 100 Basic Alloy
  • 100 Optronics
  • 50 Construction Machinery
  • 50 Nanocapacitors

Bases can only be constructed at distances from other objects such as listed on the right.

You are advised to consider the following when choosing a location for your station:
  • Bases need to be supplied regularly in order to survive, so proximity to needed commodities is helpful.
  • The houses and regional powers have in-roleplay laws restricting the construction of stations in their space. Do your homework before setting up shop, or you'll find a fleet of battleships beating the doors down.
  • If you expect your base to get attacked, remember that asteroid fields hinder large ship movements and player bases take no damage from radiation fields, so these will provide a passive defense mechanism.

• More than 2,000 meters from all trade lanes.
  • More than 2,500 meters from the surface of planets.
  • More than 5,000 meters from other Player Owned Bases.
  • More than 8,000 meters from all other dockable stations.
  • More than 12,500 meters from all jump gates and jump holes.
  • More than 30,000 meters from the edge of all mining zones EXCEPT mining zones for:
    • Alien Organisms
    • Hydrocarbons
    • Oxygen
    • Scrap Metal
    • Toxic Waste
    • Uranium
    • Water
  • More than 2,500 meters from all other interactive objects (wrecks, buoys, etc.)

3. Once you've chosen a location, move your Base Construction Platform there and deploy the base. When you enter the command the base will appear 1,000 meters in front of you, with the docking bays facing you.

Re-positioning a base via command is impossible, so be sure you're placed correctly. You can use the /pos command before deployment to check if the angles are well aligned with or slightly tilted.

The command is in the tab to the right:

Code:
/base deploy <password> <base name>

The station you just built now needs a crew and maintenance commodities.

Once you docked on it, you'll be able to login in order to control the base:

<password> this can either be the master admin password you set or, after you've set up a 2nd tier password you can use that one here.
The only difference between the two tiers is that a master admin can remove a 2nd tier admin password.

Code:
/base login <password>

<tag> is either the name of the ship or the faction tag prefix. Stations cannot detect suffixes, so don't bother entering them.
An example would be OSI- This would allow anyone with OSI- as the first four letters in their name to dock to the station.

Be careful adding entire ship names as tags.
If you enter HeavyTransport as a tag and someone has a ship named HeavyTransport1 they will be given permission to dock.

Station control is still very simple. If you add a tag, all ships with that tag are considered allied.
Everyone else is either neutral or hostile depending on the station's defense mode. More about that later.

Code:
/base addtag <tag>

This is a second-tier administration password. Give it out to only those who are helping you to administrate the base directly.

Code:
/base addpwd <password>

This is a third-tier password. Give it to those who supply your base.
It allows them to view shop only, so it's easier to spot when the base requires food or repairs.

Code:
/base addpwd <password> viewshop

Now that those two things are done, you need to get your base some supplies;
the place is likely already falling apart without a crew to maintain it! You have a couple of choices;
either have a friend with you with the following commodities in their transport:

• 200 Crew
  • 400 Food
  • 400 Oxygen
  • 400 Water
  • X Repair Commodities
    • Basic Alloy
    • Robotics
    • Hull Panels
Where X is the rest of the cargo hold after the other commodities.

At this point, your base is a bit of a target - but you have two things going for you.
The first is that your base is only able to be attacked during a certain window of time, also known as a vulnerability window.
Outside of this time, no weapons fire can damage your base whatsoever.
This ensures that you'll be around to keep evildoers away from your new home!

Currently, bases have one vulnerability window, and each window is two hours long.
The vulnerability window(s) can be set by inputting:

Where <start hour> is the starting hour in 24-hour server time (check /time for the current time!),
with the ending hour automatically calculated from your set starting hour.

Code:
/base setshield <start hour>

RE: New PoB Guide - TheKusari - 11-15-2023

(11-15-2023, 04:56 PM)Karlotta Wrote: Credits should go to the end not the beginning of the document.

I disagree, only due to the previous rendition of the Guide having credits in the exact same spot. It also provides readers with a quick snapshot of when it was last updated instead of scrolling to the bottom.

(11-15-2023, 04:56 PM)Karlotta Wrote: "I'm going to show my vast knowledge of the subject in this tutorial and make sure people know how much I know and know I am a really cool person for writing this"

I'm not quite sure what one would gain if a Tutorial or Guide was put together without all the information.

(11-15-2023, 04:56 PM)Karlotta Wrote: Also try to use the least amount of words possible to say something. (while staying accurate, grammatically correct, and with good reading flow).

EDIT: Also, while going through it I noticed that the table format doesn't always do justice to the text flow. Probably some of the text needs to be adapted to it.

This I can see, there is a lot of detail and with anything, can be improved. May be a while until this kind of change can be put in. Thanks. In future, I'd refer you to Part XI of the Guide. Makes it easy for us to work the changes.

(11-15-2023, 10:03 PM)TheKusari Wrote:
(11-15-2023, 04:56 PM)Karlotta Wrote: Credits should go to the end not the beginning of the document.

I disagree, only due to the previous rendition of the Guide having credits in the exact same spot with no complaints. It also provides readers with a quick snapshot of when it was last updated instead of scrolling to the bottom.

It's not whether you put it there or the previous author did, it's that the text starts out by giving information that has absolutely no practical use for someone who wants to build a POB and doesnt know how. That's why things like credits are best placed at the end.

The more you feed someone information they dont really care about (which someone who wants to build a pob doesnt), the more you make them begin to ignore parts of the text. The more you feed irrelevant information and useless words, the more you waste people's time and frustrate them, and the less attention will be paid to relevant information. Disco's rule write up has the same problem.

(11-15-2023, 04:56 PM)Karlotta Wrote: "I'm going to show my vast knowledge of the subject in this tutorial and make sure people know how much I know and know I am a really cool person for writing this"

I'm not quite sure what one would gain if a Tutorial or Guide was put together without all the information.

Nobody who wants to learn to build a pob cares if pobs were introduced in 4.86 and changed in 5.0. Like they dont care who tested it or wrote the tutorial. Sure give credits and udpate history if you want, but put it as the end where people wont have to skip over it if they dont care.

(11-15-2023, 04:56 PM)Karlotta Wrote: Also try to use the least amount of words possible to say something. (while staying accurate, grammatically correct, and with good reading flow).

This I can see, there is a lot of detail and with anything, can be improved. May be a while until this kind of change can be put in. Thanks. In future, I'd refer you to Part XI of the Guide. Makes it easy for us to work the changes.

The edits I'd suggest are too numerous to be submitted in that form, since many sentences are removed and others pulled together to make the whole thing shorter. There were also some inaccuracies like a sentence saying people can build pobs where ever they want (no longer true).

I'd make them directly in a copy of the tutorial where you can easily identify them by side by side comparison of 2 windows for speed and efficiency.

But it's only worth continuing if you're not gonna categorically ignore everything I say and do like the admins for the rule compression some years, and say "opinion opinions opinions and only our opinions matter" as an excuse to not do anything, and then slowly sneak in one thing I pointed out after the other month by month, "independently adopting" about half of what I pointed out 3 years later, with the other half probably coming up in 3 more years.

RE: New PoB Guide - Kalhmera - 11-16-2023

Thanks for going over the guide!

RE: New PoB Guide - Xenon - 11-16-2023

nice work there @TheKusari, thank you for the time and efforts

RE: New PoB Guide - Semir Gerkhan - 11-16-2023

Good job!

Thank you for taking the time to do it.

RE: New PoB Guide - Kosa - 11-16-2023

Great job @TheKusari ! This helps future base builders a lot.