Discovery Gaming Community
Capships not taking any damage - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Capships not taking any damage (/showthread.php?tid=20128)

Pages: 1 2

Capships not taking any damage - Bogenschutz - 05-05-2009

Ok, I'll keep this very simple.

I fired 3 Mortars at a Liberty Carrier (or whatever it is called. It's the big one, you know) while its shileds were down and it took no damage at all.

I had to use the normal defense turrets to finish it.

There could be more. So if you have encountered a similar problem, report it here, please.

Capships not taking any damage - Towli123 - 05-05-2009

i can relate to this but it aint concerning cap ships, this was while i was doing missions and you know that moment when you can see your missile is about to end it, but it doesnt it so annoying.

there should be some noticeable dmg done, but so cigar, bearing in mind that im on a bomber and i pack a punch. and im fighting fighters

Capships not taking any damage - SevereTrinity - 05-05-2009

Did you fire at different spots? You -may- have hit a turret on all 3, thus causing his turrets to take damage, and not his hull.

Capships not taking any damage - JIVA - 05-05-2009

hitboxes are complex - there s always a risk that some bits of them simply don t register damage...

to make things more complicated ( but not in that case ) - it can also happen that some parts DO get hit by certain damage types - but not by others. ( -> not in that case, cause capship weapons haven t got a weapontype, i think )

we have tested most of the hitboxes quite thouroghly - but its always possible that a bug slips through. do you remember where you hit the carrier? - are you 100% sure that you hit it? did you have any lag during the fight? have you possibly had a downloader activated at the time DLing stuff? are you 100% sure that no shields were up at that time? have you fired a chain of 3 mortars or all at once? ( Freelancer has trouble registering hits when they hit all at the same time. - who 3 hits at a sliver of shield will only drain the shield instead of the first hit draining the shields and the remaining 2 hitting the hull )

' Wrote:Did you fire at different spots? You -may- have hit a turret on all 3, thus causing his turrets to take damage, and not his hull.
Yes, 3 different spots.

It was the LNS-Retribution

http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo269/Contann/GA1186.jpg

I think the problem could be with all those bits and pieces sticking out of it.

Capships not taking any damage - Fellow Hoodlum - 05-05-2009

Second thing, and another rather important part of the testing process before looking long and hard at just
the carrier, do those mortars actually do damage to other capships ?

' Wrote:Second thing, and another rather important part of the testing process before looking long and hard at just
the carrier, do those mortars actually do damage to other capships ?

Yes, I was able to damage LB Cruiser as well as LB Battlecruiser.

Capships not taking any damage - Andrew_Bonesovich - 05-05-2009

Either you have been so "lucky" to hit turret, or other part of destroyable equipment, or its a hitbox glitch.

I dont clearly understand why, but most of the bigger capital ships dont have 100% fitting hitbox (For example, corsair cruiser and legate have their engines slightly out of hitbox I think, my SN flew right trough a few times).

Hitting a turret is possible too. I've even been so unlucky to hit someones' gun with SN, while he was in a fighter/bomber :D

Capships not taking any damage - me_b_kevin - 05-05-2009

my experience with Mortars is based on the my flying of the Necrosis. i've taken damage from mortars as they fly over my ship, not even touching me and they continue on their merry way. so i thought they had a larger radius than the animation. or maybe it was just lag and it stopping flying once it got out of my screen.

so i had the opposite problem where i couldn't dodge Mortars

Capships not taking any damage - RingoW - 05-05-2009

Yes, the freakin hitboxes. A matter which cannot be solved at all. The Milkshape exporters of sur files (the hitboxes) are bugged and you get them working with a trick only, but not properly for complicated and widespread custom models. The programming tools of Digital Anvil are scrapped and the source code of the game is not available.
At the moment there are 2 opportunities to make hitboxes and both are proven not 100% safe. Thats why i have stopped to make myself uneccessary headache. I'm not an expert in game development and it is hard to understand how Freelancer hitboxes work in detail. As long as they fit mostly and work mostly i'm pleased.
Sure, its a bad thing, if hitboxes not register weapon projectile hits. The only thing, which can be changed and tested is the number and size of hitbox meshes and how they are spread over the model, but thats it.

AoM