Discovery Gaming Community
>: Hemlocke - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Role-Playing (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Communication Channel (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+--- Thread: >: Hemlocke (/showthread.php?tid=201936)

>: Hemlocke - Darkstar_Spectre - 02-26-2024

[Image: oEKtOnt.gif]

To: __Hemlocke
Sender ID:__. Rebecca Harper
Message Origin:_ Liberty
Subject:___ An artifact

You probably weren't expecting to hear from me. And to be honest I wasn't expecting to be reaching out.

But I found Aspen's ship and I found it almost on your doorstep. On board the ship was an Artifact, one that seems to have drawn the Sentinels attention. Her body and that artifact weren't aboard the Sapere when I found it, and as far as all the intel I have goes, the Sentinels don't have a hivemind of their own with infectees. Maybe I'm making a bollocks of some of the scientific terms there but you see where I'm headed.

Way I see it four parties could have found the ship after the Sentinels hit, Liberty Military or Intelligence, which means she's fucked anyway. Insurgency remnants maybe, but I'm not sure quite what the story is there and how many of them tried hanging around Vespucci, something I reckon you'd know more about than I do.

My last two likely suspects are either the Gaians, who I have people back in Bretonia who can look into this matter about or some random smuggler, junker or just overly curious civvie prowling the Guerrero. And that brings me to why I reached out to you.

I don't have specifics on this artifact yet but I know where she got it and I plan on making a trip to the source to try and pull out an impression or outline of what it was. I'll naturally send you what I find so you can avoid the risk of the Sentinels fucking up the entirety of your artifact trade, but I would appreciate if you don't instantly smash the thing or throw it into a star.

I'd like to see what got my friend killed for myself and I'm willing to take the risk that comes with taking it off your hands if you find it. And I'd appreciate it if you'd do the same for the seller, wouldn't mind a few words with them either should you get your hands on them.

If you'd like some extra details and are up to stretching your space legs, I've a few days while I put other arrangements into motion which I can spare for a meeting.

RE: >: Hemlocke - Hemlocke - 02-26-2024

[Image: 1L0w5KR.png]

Transmission received

Recipient(s): -Rebecca Harper-
Sender: <|> Josie "Rose" Hemlocke <|>
Subject: <|> Wresting the Dead <|>

The comm feed opened before the connection had been properly established, a blur of screeching static distorted the imagery and blotted out the audio feed with a terrible resonance. When the feed finally calmed, it was void of the glaring red optic that was typical of these communications. The background was empty, save for a blank wall in the distance and some sort of pillar currently sideways. Though upon further inspection there was the head of a lounge in the bottom of the feed, that seemed to set the image right, the wall was a ceiling, and the pillar was sideways. Seems he'd walked away while waiting for the connection to establish. Soon enough through, the glaring red would return, and the image would be dragged upward by scarred hand, revealing it was a personal device rather than a dedicated terminal, perhaps why it had taken so long to connect. Presumably sitting down, the glaring optic rested into its usual position of blinding the camera feed.

"Dead."

The word hung in the air for some time, perhaps wrestling with the news, though that might seem unlikely to Harper.

"Yet you didn't find a body."

"I believe ground pounders call that "MIA", for a lack of evidence and want to not jump the gun."

"Though I wouldn't call them "intelligence", due to the sinking pit that is their collective brain function. The Order have seen a rise in activity in and around Liberty as of late, it's just as likely they took Aspen out as anyone else, and taking people in for interrogation isn't unknown to them. Though if Aspen made the foolish decision of engaging with the Sentinels yet again, then her death was perhaps deserved. She more than knew better."

Those last words seemed to give pause yet again, and idle tapping could be heard through the feed.

"Then again she also kept some rather untrustworthy company, from what I and my people saw of her. Not least of which being a dumb luck mercenary that specialized in sociopathic tendencies. Everyone has a price, and mercs come easier than hookers."

"Enough of that, however, a correction is in order. Despite what you, the Outcasts, and perhaps anyone else thinks of my proclivities, I consider artifacts far more dangerous than cardamine could ever hope to be, if even /one/ of those artifacts is by some unholy chance, active, then the consequences could be cataclysmic. I don't engage with that trade myself, and let my alleged "betters" on Buffalo do such instead. Though if you say there's a sentinel artifact floating around, I suppose I can see if it pops up somewhere in my neck of the woods."

"I won't give you a promise that I won't destroy it the moment I see it, that will entirely depend on what it is, and what it does. I'll not have some active beacon sitting on one of my people's homes, nor will I send one of my loyals out into the abyss carrying it on your behalf. protest all you like that's as simple as it's going to get. It's already proven to attract death, of which Aspen may or may not have survived, and you still wish to chase it."

"Seems the Cultists have rubbed off on you."

"Or that tinhead of yours."

~ Hemlocke ~

Attachment(s):

N/A

Transmission terminated

RE: >: Hemlocke - Darkstar_Spectre - 02-26-2024

Subject:___ Loyalty

[A scoff that morphed into a grim chuckle could be heard as the transmission feed picked up.]

I suppose it was worth a shot, if it does show up in your yard and it does turn out to be something of the sort, I'll trust your judgement on whatever the bloody hell it might because frankly I don't really have a option in the matter. The part I would have to insist upon however is the seller if it is at all possible, and it would be heavily appreciated.

[A tired weary sigh came as her hand moved to terminate the transmission but suddenly stopped as if she hesitated for a moment.]

I suppose you're technically right, she isn't confirmed KIA. Yet. But I was onboard the Sapere, and there was a significant amount of blood present and with the time that beacon had been running, the odds are very slim for her, even more so if somehow the Order got her hands on her, in which case I might have to make a very dangerous call.

Regardless of that though, I know better than anyone not to write someone off until you see the body, but I'd also be a fool to get my hopes up and instantly assume the best, and I'm not chasing this down because of the bloody technocracy, far as I'm fucking concerned you can nuke the Citadel off the map if you want to.

Look, from what Hera told me, you understand loyalty and I owe Aspen my life. So, MIA or KIA I owe it to her to see this through, best case she is alive and no one will be more fucking thrilled than me about it. Worst case, recover the body and at least give her a send off and get something more valuable than playing hero, alien artifacts or cheap bloody vengeance could ever give me.

RE: >: Hemlocke - Hemlocke - 02-27-2024

Transmission received

The comm feed would open in much a similar manner to the first, this uncomfortable lurch of a characteristic seemed indicative that the vessel these communications were being sent from was immersed in a field of heavy interference, a brief glance at the information center would reveal this to be true as it seemingly always was, yet today, it was far worse than normal for whatever reason. it was a miracle they were reaching anyone at all. When the ungodly static finally cleared, the red eye was immediately present, though appeared to be casting a sun-ray like beam upward towards a camera from a standing position in the center of a busy room, it was hard to tell as people moved back and forth, veiled almost completely aside from silhouette by the unrefined and blinding optic. It appears he moved locale in the time between messages.

"You clearly know this already, Rebecca Harper."

"The chances you, or even I manage to locate this seller are slim to none without a transaction trail, and that's not how smugglers do things. The artifact trade is as tall as it is wide, bloated by interpolitical rivalry, and dregs of all banners. Kusari, Rheinland, Bretonia, Liberty. Independents and underworlders alike have stake in the trade, you could search the rest of your life and never find the singular individual responsible for this."

There would now be a lingering silence emerging in the form of a pause, that would be alleviated before too long.

"Far be it from me to stop you from trying. The shackles of loyalty demand as much."

"You may find yourself left wanting with my contribution to this matter, with a pool so deep and so wide, I'd be forced to sink an unreasonable amount of resources into it to find anything of even remote value, instead, I'll send Madcat out to the major gathering points of artifacts to see if he can't stir something up, but if she was killed for this, it is likely that when you or he finds the person that did it, there will be another attempt."

"If this individual was smart though, they would've avoided the major hubs entirely."

"Here's hoping for a marginal lack of foresight on their part."

~ Hemlocke ~

Attachment(s):

N/A

Transmission terminated

RE: >: Hemlocke - Darkstar_Spectre - 02-27-2024

Subject:___ Loyalty

[A weary yawn came and the bags under Rebecca's eyes would indicate she was due some serious sleep.]

As much I might hate it, you're not wrong, but it is as you said what loyalty demands. Look, matter of fact is you could have told me to fuck off already, so for what that's worth I do appreciate it. And you're right there is some degree of bloody luck required but at the very least if it is the scenario of some random unaffiliated pirate, junker or half arsed smuggler crew in this case, then at the very least they don't always tend to be the forethinking sort. The forethinking type probably would have left the body when they found the Sapere's wreck. Like you yourself said, the artifact trade is a massive entity and I plan on working on having eyes on the other houses underworlds as well if I can swing it.

Still, I'll admit the Insurgent remnant angle is the one I'm having a little difficulty on, but that's mostly due to a lack of solid intelligence prohibiting me from straight up eliminating them from consideration. So, if you've any thoughts as a local with experience on the matter, I wouldn't mind hearing your take on the possibility of any remnants creeping around the Guerrero still, even if it's just to eliminate them from consideration.

Regardless though, I have one last preparation to take of first but I'll ensure to take video when I'm on Skagen. Hopefully it'll be enough to give your man Madcat something to work with rather than just hoping for blind bloody luck. Assuming I don't get slotted do you want me to relay it through you or are you going to be putting me in direct touch with this wild cat?

RE: >: Hemlocke - Hemlocke - 03-02-2024

Transmission received

It had been some time since the last communication, Rebecca might've even considered that they'd never find anything to begin with, however, from the silence, a resonation emerged, a recorded message had been sent to her personal device, and with it, an encrypted data cache, set to open on its own with a timer. Though this design may lead one to hope for some grand reveal, the reality would soon be made clear.

"Madcat found something, though it will be less than you had hoped for."

A pause, one would think he may be doing this purposefully to add dramatic flair.

"I allowed Madcat to make his own decisions regarding his search, he elected to start his search on Fontana, then branched out to junker stations "within" the general area a tracker could've fled to. Invergordan second, Beaumont, then, Rochester."

"While I'm not impressed by the performance, he made a stumble that got the attention of the Rochester port authority, and managed to extract relevant information, and a few names, you'll find the relevant information attached below."

A slow draw of breath before a slower exhale, and a few taps upon what could be assumed to be a desk would be heard.

"It's a dead end for your vengeance, as far as we're concerned, Harper. We found a web of shell companies and Madcat wisely cut the potential losses short before he had a bunch of erased corporate killers on top of him. Especially given the Junkers were involved."

"All that's left to say, is good luck."

~ Hemlocke ~

Attachment(s):

Transmission terminated

RE: >: Hemlocke - Darkstar_Spectre - 03-18-2024

Message Origin:_ Spirit of Revolt.
Subject:___ My thanks.

[As the recording began, the camera was tilted at a slight angle as if the recording object was being leaned up against something. A heavily worn plasma carbine of Gallic origin, that looked to be an older model. One that seemed to date to around halfway through the Gallic War and issued to Gallic special forces units, occupied Rebecca's hands as she reassembled it while speaking to the camera. Her gaze not focused on the camera at all for the duration of the recording.]

Sorry about the silence. If you were thinking I had shared Aspen's fate, well, not yet.

But the trip to Skagen and some work from one of my people in Bretonia confirmed that Madcat was on the right track. The Muskrat showed up on Halifax's docking registery, and we were able to track down the middle-woman onboard. Long story short we've got a new lead to follow up now. One that requires some doorkicking and planning.

I figured I'd oughta' take the time to give you my thanks, and to ask you to pass along mine to this Madcat as well. He went above and beyond my expectations, so let him know he has nothing to apologize for.

And again, thank you. To both of you.