Discovery Gaming Community
Underspace - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: General Gaming (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=257)
+--- Thread: Underspace (/showthread.php?tid=202746)

Pages: 1 2

Underspace - zalsrevenge - 04-21-2024

Has anyone else tried Underspace?

I've played it for a couple hours, and it's basically an indie Freelancer clone, except more spooky and scary at times(space dragons?).

By clone, I mean the mechanics are basically the same. Trade lanes, jump holes, well pretty much everything feels the same.

I'm kind of conflicted. I'm certainly enjoying it. But it feels a little bit too much like Freelancer. Which I get, I've been wanting a newer game that plays just like it as well.

I'm excited to see where it leads, but I'm hoping it strays a little bit further from Freelancer. Maybe change a few things just to make it feel more like its own thing.

RE: Underspace - Haste - 04-21-2024

I think Legally Distinct Freelancer is kind of the vibe the developers were going for, though I do intend to try it out at some point.

RE: Underspace - DragonRider - 04-21-2024

As per my standard policy, I'd wait for the game to be fully released, check reviews and then try it out.
With early access games, especially indie ones, you never know how it's gonna turn out.

RE: Underspace - Sombs - 04-21-2024

One of the devs is in the Starport discord, his name is Trainwiz. I've been watching what he's been posting, so I'm quite confident that Underspace is going in the right direction

RE: Underspace - jammi - 04-21-2024

(04-21-2024, 06:53 PM)Sombs Wrote: One of the devs is in the Starport discord, his name is Trainwiz. I've been watching what he's been posting, so I'm quite confident that Underspace is going in the right direction

Not one of, Trainwiz is the sole developer. I'm probably not going to actually play it until full release, but I've purchased a copy anyway just to show support.

RE: Underspace - Kauket - 04-21-2024

(04-21-2024, 06:50 PM)DragonRider Wrote: As per my standard policy, I'd wait for the game to be fully released, check reviews and then try it out.
With early access games, especially indie ones, you never know how it's gonna turn out.

That.

Also I didn't really vibe with the atmosphere and art style they're going with tbh imo. Some places are weirdly dark, some weirdly saturated with colours.

RE: Underspace - Nodoka Hanamura - 04-21-2024

I've played it, and while I do have to side with Nyx's statement regarding the atmosphere and art style, I see it as a way to bring Freelancer back into the fore with a total conversion mod and the sort with mods built upon it. From what I remember, Trainwiz is trying to make the game more easily moddable than your run of the mill unity game.

Arduous it may be, It'd be a far sight better than being left with the complete mess that Freelancer is these days, with crashes and the sort. I think Nyx after the other day in Earhart knows that pain more than anyone.

RE: Underspace - Traxit - 04-21-2024

maybe this is the open-source engine weve been yearning for so long

RE: Underspace - Nodoka Hanamura - 04-21-2024

(04-21-2024, 07:43 PM)Traxit Wrote: maybe this is the open-source engine weve been yearning for so long

Ain't open source but fuck if it's not better than sitting here with nomad incubi up our asses dealing with Digital Anvil's abandoned lovechild.

RE: Underspace - Sombs - 04-21-2024

(04-21-2024, 06:56 PM)jammi Wrote:
(04-21-2024, 06:53 PM)Sombs Wrote: One of the devs is in the Starport discord, his name is Trainwiz. I've been watching what he's been posting, so I'm quite confident that Underspace is going in the right direction

Not one of, Trainwiz is the sole developer. I'm probably not going to actually play it until full release, but I've purchased a copy anyway just to show support.

Huh, I've seen him use "we" when referring to Underspace. I guess it's the same "we" that Antonio uses when he wants someone who is not him to do patrol paths