Discovery Gaming Community
The Return of the Hon Hons - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Welcome (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=399)
+--- Forum: Introduce Yourself (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Thread: The Return of the Hon Hons (/showthread.php?tid=203466)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

The Return of the Hon Hons - Lanakov - 06-09-2024

Dear friends,

I would like, for the first time in ages, to make use of this part of our venerable forums, with two purposes.
One, to announce my return to affairs to those of you I've had the pleasure of meeting, chatting up, fighting or having sexy roleplay with over the past... Decade and a half. I see many of you are still playing or actively participating to Disco life, or simply lurking which is always a surefire path back to playing (we've all been there).
This elicits great joy to me, as do the many changes, improvements and assorted evidence of all the hard work and love poured into this game (hardly just a mod anymore, is it ?).
It is clear that time has passed, but Disco still lives on, and wears its age like a fine wine would. Sirius has evolved and the great events I've witnessed and took part in are now part of Disco history, both in and out of roleplay. I noticed this as I brought many of my Gallic ships back home, through Bretonia and the Taus, scars of the conflict apparent and well presented. On my way, I picked up clues of the new story beats and intriguing developments such as the Pulse. I'm eager to dive into it and discover, as it were.
I am particularly grateful to the team for keeping the dream alive and taking so many hours off their spare time to deliver this new update. I've noticed the visual changes, the massive infocard rework, the economy rework, the guns, the ships... It is a lot to take in and I'm elated at rediscovering what was a familiar old friend with more than a new coat of paint (though the new FX look incredible for a twenty year old game). So, please accept my thanks, be you player or dev, for keeping the place running and exciting.

The second goal of this post is to introduce myself to all the new players who have joined us over the years since I took my break.
I am Lanakov (though I don't fancy that nickname much these days, it's far too late to change it here), often shortened to Lana. My real name is Quentin, I am a French man of thirty-odd years currently living in Britanny and originally from Burgundy. I work for the French navy, which was the cause of many of my absences and ultimately, long break from Disco.
I have spent most of my Disco time actively playing Gallic characters, humbly contributing to the best of my abilities to Gallic lore and ending up leading the Marine Royale Gauloise, the main official faction for the Royal Gallic Navy during the climax of the Gallic wars. I voluntary stepped down following the end of the war, leaving my main character, amiral Isabelle Montlaville de Chanteloup, for dead. I contributed to the Regime change and helped the dev team come up with a new face for Gallia. That's about when I really started lacking spare time and had to take a longer break than I had hoped for.
Parallel to this, I joined the dev team first as moderator, then in the story department, before assuming the lead dev role for a few months. I enjoyed this time greatly, and still wish I had more time to dedicate to it ; Disco then was in upheaval and there was much to do, a new direction to take, great story arcs to conclude and to start. Alas, adult life be what it do be, and I had to let go of my role in the dev team to make room for more active people, whom I thank again for all their efforts in leading Disco to the great place it looks to be in now.

What's next, you might ask ? I'm unsure. I feel like I'm facing an extraordinarily rich buffet, with a selection of wines to suit my choices. A return to the familiar Gallia is tempting, and I probably won't resist. But Sirius altogether has changed and is as exciting as ever ; a good time to diversify and explore. I think I'll do just that and we'll see. Perhaps I'll meet you along the way ; I look forward to it.
Thank you for reading!
Quentin

RE: The Return of the Hon Hons - Groshyr - 06-09-2024

Welcome back! I hope we will have an opportunity to meet ingame and start RPing (totally not because I want to join the club... or do I?), back in my times as the systems dev I have reworked Gallic systems, and current Gallia's appearance (not layout tho) is mostly my fault and I hope you will like it. Feel free to PM me in Discord for discussing my work or if you'd like to know more about what happened with Gallia specifically, both iRP and ooRP. My discord is just groshyr

RE: The Return of the Hon Hons - Lanakov - 06-09-2024

(06-09-2024, 05:40 PM)Groshyr Wrote: Welcome back! I hope we will have an opportunity to meet ingame and start RPing (totally not because I want to join the club... or do I?), back in my times as the systems dev I have reworked Gallic systems, and current Gallia's appearance (not layout tho) is mostly my fault and I hope you will like it. Feel free to PM me in Discord for discussing my work or if you'd like to know more about what happened with Gallia specifically, both iRP and ooRP. My discord is just groshyr

I'll be sure to do it ! There was much to do with Gallia systems-wise, it's never been an easy topic. From the scant border worlds to the massive bloat of the core worlds... I don't envy you, the work must have been daunting! I'll be sure to talk it out with you once I've got the chance to discover it all Smile

RE: The Return of the Hon Hons - Petitioner - 06-09-2024

This is the best news I've heard in a while. Welcome back; this community is richer for your renewed presence.

RE: The Return of the Hon Hons - Ki'Shar - 06-09-2024

Oh! Now that's something I definitely didn't expect to see today! Welcome back.

RE: The Return of the Hon Hons - Chronicron - 06-09-2024

remember that picture with spyboxes with trebuchets mounted on top of them and one big spy in a chair above them all?

i wanted to post it here but i can't find it anywhere sorry

welcome back, please revive gallia it's dead as f

RE: The Return of the Hon Hons - Nodoka Hanamura - 06-09-2024

I knew there was a big Lanakov-shaped hole when I came back. Welcome back, mon ami!

RE: The Return of the Hon Hons - Lanakov - 06-09-2024

(06-09-2024, 05:57 PM)Petitioner Wrote: This is the best news I've heard in a while. Welcome back; this community is richer for your renewed presence.

Thanks for your very kind words, my friend. I'm eager to contribute once again, particularly with so many people around!

(06-09-2024, 06:10 PM)Ki'Shar Wrote: Oh! Now that's something I definitely didn't expect to see today! Welcome back.

Thanks! Perhaps you do remember my fondness for surprises [insert Spy gif here]

(06-09-2024, 06:30 PM)Chronicron Wrote: remember that picture with spyboxes with trebuchets mounted on top of them and one big spy in a chair above them all?

i wanted to post it here but i can't find it anywhere sorry

welcome back, please revive gallia it's dead as f

I sometimes count being detestably sentimental one of my most embarrassing drawbacks... But it has its uses.
Currently working on two plans regarding Gallia, one of them very silly. But I find that silly tends to stick more. Thanks for your message!

(06-09-2024, 06:51 PM)Nodoka Hanamura Wrote: I knew there was a big Lanakov-shaped hole when I came back. Welcome back, mon ami!

Ah so you did come back as well! I'm very happy you did, and all the more pleased that I did so myself. Here's to all our future interactions!

RE: The Return of the Hon Hons - Leo - 06-09-2024

Welcome back, Lanakov! I came back in 2022 myself after lurking as you mentioned. Eventually the bug bit me again and I came back. Funny that this place tends to do that.

See you in space!

RE: The Return of the Hon Hons - Nazawo - 06-09-2024

Oh heck, welcome back Lana