Discovery Gaming Community
Controls Reset - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Welcome (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=399)
+--- Forum: Help & Support (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Controls Reset (/showthread.php?tid=203770)

Pages: 1 2

Controls Reset - R.P.Curator - 06-26-2024

My controls reset to default each time I:
- Exit the game
- Get kicked from the game for being Idle (tested)

Why?

RE: Controls Reset - DragonRider - 06-26-2024

Likely one of the following:

1. The controls config file/s are marked as "read only".
Go to Documents/My Games/Freelancer and find the files "PerfOptions" and "UserKeyMap". On each: Right click > properties and make sure the "read only" checkbox is NOT checked. Apply. If it was checked, set your controls again and they should remain saved.

2. Freelancer doesn't have sufficient admin right to actually save the controls to the file.
If you are comfortable with doing so, set Discovery's Freelancer exe to be ran as admin. Some people don't like doing this citing security concerns, but I never had an issue running any game as admin.

To do that, go to where DISCOVERY is installed > EXE folder > Freelancer.exe. Right click > properties, check "Run program as an administrator". Apply. Don't actually run this file, not needed. Launch your game as you normally would, trough the Discovery launcher. Controls should start saving again, once you set them.

Hope it helps.

RE: Controls Reset - R.P.Curator - 06-26-2024

Thank you for the explanation.
1: Checked, "Read only" option is NOT checked.
2: Tinkered with the "Administrator" program, didn't work so far.

RE: Controls Reset - Fab - 06-26-2024

where is your discovery installation?

Disco + Freelancer are on the same HDD.
Prior to 5.0, this didn't happen.
Will tinker some more with the administrator rights, see if that is the issue.

RE: Controls Reset - Fab - 06-26-2024

(06-26-2024, 01:52 PM)R.P.Curator Wrote: Disco + Freelancer are on the same HDD.

that doesn't matters much, I need to know in which folder path your discovery installation is. If it's in program files, you'll have lots of issues with writing data as some windows paths are protected. Move your discovery installation to somewhere like C:/Games/Discovery Freelancer

(06-26-2024, 01:54 PM)Fab Wrote:
(06-26-2024, 01:52 PM)R.P.Curator Wrote: Disco + Freelancer are on the same HDD.

that doesn't matters much, I need to know in which folder path your discovery installation is. If it's in program files, you'll have lots of issues with writing data as some windows paths are protected. Move your discovery installation to somewhere like C:/Games/Discovery Freelancer

No,
Windows + Program Files are on a separate SSD, thats exclusively for Windows and other programs.
Games are on a separate SSD, including Freelancer.
But, you mentioning write data gave me an idea, to include Disco freelancer into the exception folder from the antivirus.
And I posted here, because, usually my controls get reset when exiting the game, BUT, my controls get reset when getting kicked out for idling from the server, which DOES NOT shut down my game. If I exit to main menu and switch accounts, my controls don't reset.
Thats the 1-2 discrepancy.

Do you have One Drive installed or running?
I've seen cases where One Drive kind of takes over the Documents folder, which causes problems when games try to read/write there.

Go to your Documents folder, right click on empty space > properties > location. If it says something like:

C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents

then It's fine.
It it has mention of One Drive in the path, might be the issue I mentioned.

(06-26-2024, 04:33 PM)DragonRider Wrote: Do you have One Drive installed or running?
I've seen cases where One Drive kind of takes over the Documents folder, which causes problems when games try to read/write there.

Go to your Documents folder, right click on empty space > properties > location. If it says something like:

C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents

then It's fine.
It it has mention of One Drive in the path, might be the issue I mentioned.

Hi,
Check as you suggested, the path is clear C:\Users\Name\Documents.
One Drive is by default in Windows installed, and its only bugging some Steam files and Ubisoft.
Thanks for the help!

Hmm.
My only remaining idea is to delete the whole Documents/My Games/Freelancer folder. Maybe the files got corrupted in some way. Deleting them lets Freelancer re-create them.