Discovery Gaming Community
5.6 rule and pirates - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Rules & Requests (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Rules (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: 5.6 rule and pirates (/showthread.php?tid=20387)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

5.6 rule and pirates - vectr - 05-12-2009

Does this fleeing rule come into play when a pirate is pirating someone? If the person runs ...the pirate can't use their cruise engines to chase him down eventually and catch him?

5.6 rule and pirates - VincentFerrex - 05-12-2009

If a trader is fleeing from a pirate, and the trader engages cruise, the trader is considered fleeing, and the pirate may cruise after him, since it was the trader himself who cruised first.

The sanctions regarding the "don't cruise to catch up" come from when a player is using thrusters, to maintain distance. He is not considered to be fleeing. However, if the player chasing the thrusting opponent engages cruise, -he- is the one who is technically fleeing and therefore cannot re-engage.

5.6 rule and pirates - vectr - 05-12-2009

Ohhhh I see. Very well said. I understand completely now. I'm extremely relentless when it comes to chasing people. So I'm glad it's not what I thought.

5.6 rule and pirates - Spear - 05-12-2009

' Wrote:Does this fleeing rule come into play when a pirate is pirating someone? If the person runs ...the pirate can't use their cruise engines to chase him down eventually and catch him?
And by the way... the "don't use cruise engines to catch up REALLY needs to be clarified in the 5.6 rule". To say it indirectly states that, is being polite. I was looking at the sanctions and was just looking back and forth at the 5.6 rule and "don't cruise to catch up". I keep reading the 5.6 rule and to me it just doesn't say that. Maybe my reading comprehension is just bad i don't know. There's way too many questions about this rule and it needs to be more detailed I think. So dummies like me can understand. Don't be fooled... we are many.

5.6 If a player engages cruise engine or docks during a PvP fight, this player is considered fleeing. The fleeing player must leave and may not re-enter the system where the fight took place with any of the characters on his/her account(s) while the enemy (player or players involved in the fight) remains in the system, but no more than 4 hours.

OK what this means is if you engage cruise you have immediately lost the fight, so if your opponent is trying to escape on thruster and you engage cruise engines to chase you have lost the engagement and broken this rule.

You can use cruise if the person fleeing uses it first, you cannot use cruise if your target is thrusting away. So if the trader you have engaged is fleeing from you on thruster, you should not use your cruise engine. If that trader has engaged his cruise engine first, you are free to engage yours and give chase.

Edit: Ah beaten to it

5.6 rule and pirates - tansytansey - 05-12-2009

Fighters have a thruster speed of 200 anyway, and transports only have 139. You shouldn't need to cruise to catch a transport. Unless you were a Gunboat and your piracy target was a freighter, in which case the speeds would be reversed. But that's what the rule is designed to prevent, powerful ships being able to infinitely chase smaller ships which have no chance of fighting back.

5.6 rule and pirates - triple88a - 05-14-2009

basically what bugs me is you have couple gunboats or bombers or whatever attacking you in a cap. You destroy them and the last one thrusts and tries to run away? How can you let him go? You cant catch him since you dont have thrusters, it really kills the fair rp.

5.6 rule and pirates - spec - 05-14-2009

' Wrote:basically what bugs me is you have couple gunboats or bombers or whatever attacking you in a cap. You destroy them and the last one thrusts and tries to run away? How can you let him go? You cant catch him since you dont have thrusters, it really kills the fair rp.

Doesn't sound like unfair to me... There is no need for a cap to kill every last bomber from the fleet which attacked it, sounds fair ?

5.6 rule and pirates - triple88a - 05-14-2009

when you get bunch of big mouths trying to kill you, its satisfactory to give them what they deserve.

5.6 rule and pirates - Baltar - 05-14-2009

' Wrote:Does this fleeing rule come into play when a pirate is pirating someone? If the person runs ...the pirate can't use their cruise engines to chase him down eventually and catch him?

Please do NOT confuse combat with piracy ... they are completely different. The fleeing rules and cruise rules are "combat" rules ... piracy is NOT combat. In fact ... a trader who "engages" a pirate in combat is OORP.

EDIT: Please read the rule carefully ... pay particular attention to the highlighted portion.

Quote:5.6 If a player engages cruise engine or docks during a PvP fight, this player is considered fleeing. The fleeing player must leave and may not re-enter the system where the fight took place with any of the characters on his/her account(s) while the enemy (player or players involved in the fight) remains in the system, but no more than 4 hours.

5.6 rule and pirates - Guest - 05-14-2009

In fact, pirating is a pvp situation, because you CD the trader afterall.