Discovery Gaming Community
Models with moving parts - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Models with moving parts (/showthread.php?tid=20476)

Pages: 1 2

Models with moving parts - looqas - 05-14-2009

An idea just came yesterday that it could be nice next step to take if ship models could have moving parts. To badly illustrate my point think of Star Wars "set your S-foils to attack position" when they are making the run on Death Star.

The parts could, perhaps, be players controllable?

I don't know really the uses, but if it can be done then I'm sure people will find places where to add a little animation. One possible animation comes to my mind is during the docking sequence for caps when they go for the "tower" docking point. A docking arm would extent from station to an approaching ship. It would not affect the game play in anyway, but it would make a small but important contribution to the overall feel.

The animation is a gimmick with little actual game-play value atm but would be almost totally unexplored field for model makers. Come to think of it Sheffield has this revolving ring-thingie, but is it unique?

Models with moving parts - darthbeck - 05-14-2009

it would be nice to do this, but peoples time could be better spent on other things.

Models with moving parts - Lucend - 05-14-2009

The models were originally supposed to have folding wings. If you look on some of the older promo vids, the Defender clearly unfolds his wings.

Models with moving parts - tansytansey - 05-14-2009

It is possible. Vanilla ships have cargo bays that open up when you eject cargo. I don't know if anyone has figured out how to do it with custom ships yet, though.

' Wrote:it would be nice to do this, but peoples time could be better spent on other things.

Sure there are better uses for time. There always are, but I think some are willing to give it a look anyway.

Models with moving parts - Doom - 05-14-2009

' Wrote:The models were originally supposed to have folding wings. If you look on some of the older promo vids, the Defender clearly unfolds his wings.

defender can do that even now, rheinalnd ships move their wings up and down etc...its one of the dormant codes that can be activated trough some coding. Some of our codders were able to animate defenders wings into folding when entering the cruise. ATM this is only in early experimental stage.

Models with moving parts - Markus_Janus - 05-14-2009

That would be so sweet if it was done.
Maybe understanding of the code involved could be used to add this code to other ships, now wouldn't that be something.

Models with moving parts - Tenacity - 05-14-2009

yea, and when we're done playing dress up and putting mascara on our spaceships, maybe we can spend some time focusing on things that actually effect gameplay.

Models with moving parts - tansytansey - 05-14-2009

' Wrote:yea, and when we're done playing dress up and putting mascara on our spaceships, maybe we can spend some time focusing on things that actually effect gameplay.

I'm not usually one for agreeing with changes to the game purely for vanity and aesthetic purposes either. But judging from what Doom said, Freelancer is already designed to do this.. so why not?
I just hope the Bloodhound and Werewolf have something cool that they move >_>

' Wrote:yea, and when we're done playing dress up and putting mascara on our spaceships, maybe we can spend some time focusing on things that actually effect gameplay.

I agree with you. More important things first, but why not letting those who are willing to go the extra mile have their chance to do so?