Discovery Gaming Community
Generic shipname replacement? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Generic shipname replacement? (/showthread.php?tid=20505)

Pages: 1 2

Generic shipname replacement? - Fletcher - 05-15-2009

I've been thinking (very dangerous) we have many ship names for smaller craft, but not really for larger vessels.

We got Bretonia, Kusari, Liberty, Rheinland, Outcats etc Battleships, Gunboats, Cruisers, Destroyers and so on and so forth.

I know they got nicknames (e.g. Osiris class Battleship), but why not have a name for them? Like for Liberty Battleship, you could give it a name like we do with a Liberator or Patriot.

I hope you can see where I am going with this. I am no naming person.

Its like USA has Nimitz class Aircraft Carriers, but they don't call them "American Aircraft Carrier" on the news or something...

So uh yeah, thoughts?

If it came to the Liberty Gunboat, I'd name it the Anvil.

Generic shipname replacement? - Koolmo - 05-15-2009

I like it, all the Coalition vessels have a name, and I think it looks way better.

Generic shipname replacement? - Fletcher - 05-15-2009

' Wrote:I like it, all the Coalition vessels have a name, and I think it looks way better.
I really need to visit the Omega's more... In RP off course.

Thankfully someone understand what I'm typing, I'm kinda exhausted so my brain is kerfuddled.

Generic shipname replacement? - Zukeenee - 05-15-2009

Many of the new capital ships have non-generic names, like the Zoner "Conference" Gunboat, Outcast "Storta" Destroyer, Bounty Hunter "Mako" Battleship, etc. It's mainly the vanilla capital ships that aren't named.

I understand what you're saying, and I agree. There ought to be nicknames for the capital ships, just as there are for the fighters. It can't be that hard to do.

Generic shipname replacement? - Klaw117 - 05-15-2009

I got some names for Rheinland. The current names (used by the fighters) are Phantom, Banshee, Valkyrie, and Wraith. I don't know the bomber name though...it might be Fafnir. Anyway, for capital ship names, I was thinking Ghost, Spectre, Shadow, Spirit, or Shade. Yes I got these from Halo, but they do fit with the Rheinland names of spiritual or spectral beings.

Liberty should have names about freedom, democracy, and protectors. I was thinking Independence, Arbiter, and Sentinel.

Bretonia should have names about knights like the Partisan (although that is being used by the Coalition), Chevalier, or Cadet.

Kusari should have names about mythical beasts. A list of them can be found here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_speci...e_and_mythology
Just press Ctrl+F and then type in "Japanese" and you'll find a bunch of Japanese mythical beasts.

Gallia, if they don't have names already, should just use names of cats like they do on the fighters (one of the fighters is called the Lynx). Examples would be the Tiger, Lion, Cheetah, or Jaguar.

Generic shipname replacement? - Gamazson - 05-15-2009

Kusari Iron Mountain class battleship.....

Sorry I have nothing further than that tiny brain fart to say.

Generic shipname replacement? - bluntpencil2001 - 05-15-2009

The problem is that the capital ships of the main houses represent different classes of ship.

The Bretonian Battleship is the Dunkirk, as well as several other classes too, depending on when they were made, I think.

Generic shipname replacement? - Cellulanus - 05-15-2009

' Wrote:I got some names for Rheinland. The current names (used by the fighters) are Phantom, Banshee, Valkyrie, and Wraith. I don't know the bomber name though...it might be Fafnir. Anyway, for capital ship names, I was thinking Ghost, Spectre, Shadow, Spirit, or Shade. Yes I got these from Halo, but they do fit with the Rheinland names of spiritual or spectral beings.

Considering that the the Rheinland Battleship already has a class name (Bismark class) and the progected next generation Battleship class was to be called the Bremen class I'd assume that the names of spirits are just restricted to the Rheinland Fighters, with German names and names from Viking mythology filling in the rest.

Also all of the house capitols have a class name, just look at the stationary ones infocards.

Quote:The Bretonian Battleship is the Dunkirk, as well as several other classes too, depending on when they were made, I think.

Funny, I was under the impression that all of the house BSs had only one class name per house.

Generic shipname replacement? - Horon - 05-15-2009

As for the battleship names, since there are bases around that are essentially battleships, why don't we just use the class name for the base ones on the battleships?

Generic shipname replacement? - Doom - 05-15-2009

' Wrote:Gallia, if they don't have names already, should just use names of cats like they do on the fighters (one of the fighters is called the Lynx). Examples would be the Tiger, Lion, Cheetah, or Jaguar.

Gallic caps do have class names....like most vanilla caps....Battleship is called "Valor" class, cruiser is "Obstinate" class, gunboat is "Perilous" class...GRN fighters have names of wild cats and council fighters have lizard names.