Discovery Gaming Community
Getting a 2nd PC - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Real Life Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+---- Forum: Software & Hardware (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+---- Thread: Getting a 2nd PC (/showthread.php?tid=21595)

Getting a 2nd PC - Fletcher - 06-09-2009

OK, its not confirmed, but I could be getting another computer system for free from my college since a nice technician has some old machines lying around. (Visual Basic was acting up so I needed to go see him).

I am planning on networking the computers into a small home network. This is basically what could happen:
1: Primary PC (current) has access to the USB modem to the Internet
2: Backup machine, hopefully will also have access to internet
3: Xbox 360, wired connection taking up the only Ethernet port on primary PC.

If I am to network these correct, I think I got the following options:
1: Buy a new network card, some Ethernet cable and hook up the backup to the primary
2: Get a wireless USB dongle/router (expensive?)

I plan on doing number 1.

My primary PC will basically be the internet 'hub' to the internet in my house. I will strip it down of all of my games, and move over to the backup PC, which I hope may come with a video card, no more integrated crap. This will please my mother and sister, since they're idiots and don't like to learn how to use Ubuntu.

My backup PC or new game PC maybe will go in my room so I can use Ubuntu and dual boot with XP to play Freelancer and general browsing when I get stuck on something.

Another option I got is to give the backup PC to my mother and put it in the living room, since she's an eBay addict. It will aid her packaging stuff and make her life easier and mine better since I'll have less 'booted off' time periods, giving me more Freelancer time, and off course work time. :rolleyes:

So then, that is my story for today.

Do you guys have and options or advice for me? I've never properly set up a home network, I just want them to share the Internet connection. I know I'll have to hit the 'Share Local Area Network' if I use another network card. But I'm scared it will kill my connection to the 360. Here's hoping!

Getting a 2nd PC - Saigo.Watanabe - 06-09-2009

It shouldn't kill your xbox internet connnection as i had mine set up like that for a time until i got a router, a decent router is probably about ?70 but you can probably get one for less, usb adapters are between ?10-?20 depending on where you go and if you wanted to get xbox live wireless it would be ?60

Rather expensive just for wireless,
So unless you have the money i would do option 1 as it will most probably be more cheaper and easier to set up.

( dont forget you have to set the router up so the right ports are open and dont restrict your internet)

Getting a 2nd PC - Fletcher - 06-09-2009

' Wrote:It shouldn't kill your xbox internet connnection as i had mine set up like that for a time until i got a router, a decent router is probably about ?70 but you can probably get one for less, usb adapters are between ?10-?20 depending on where you go and if you wanted to get xbox live wireless it would be ?60

Rather expensive just for wireless, as it will most probably be more cheaper and easier to set up.

( dont forget you have to set the router up so the right ports are open and dont restrict your internet)

So unless you have the money i would do option 1.
Yeah money is tight, and I don't have a router, I could pinch my cousins spare Ethernet cable since I've basically been on call for him and his mother fixing their internet and Xbox Liver for the past 2 months. He bought another cable thinking that was the problem:lol:

I don't have a router, even though I know its better and more efficient. So, I think a new network card, or as you say a USB one maybe the best options on my budget.:unsure:

Getting a 2nd PC - Saigo.Watanabe - 06-09-2009

The USB ones i meant are essentially the add on to the router so the pc's can pick up the wireless, however is your modem? ( if you have one ) a usb one or a ethernet one? if its a usb one you should be able to connec the xbx and the other pc into the primary computer which would give you access to the internet, BUT only if that pc is on.

Thats the problem when you dont have a Router ^_^

Getting a 2nd PC - Boss - 06-09-2009

I'm just going to look at that plan and writhe in pain on the floor, mmk?

Go get a router, all you need is a fairly cheap 5-port 100mbps router. They're what, $20US?

You'll need two new Ethernet cables. One from the primary to the router, then one each from the Xbox and second PC to the router. Share the internet connection on the first PC, and configure the second to use it.

Far easier than trying to deal with two NICs on a single PC. (Which only works properly on Server versions of Windows)

Also, a router will provide a 'dead zone' for incoming traffic. It holds the external IP and thus is the one getting hit with all the automated attacks. Right now, it's your PC taking those.

Get a router. Seriously.

Getting a 2nd PC - Agmen of Eladesor - 06-10-2009

' Wrote:I'm just going to look at that plan and writhe in pain on the floor, mmk?

Go get a router, all you need is a fairly cheap 5-port 100mbps router. They're what, $20US?

You'll need two new Ethernet cables. One from the primary to the router, then one each from the Xbox and second PC to the router. Share the internet connection on the first PC, and configure the second to use it.

Far easier than trying to deal with two NICs on a single PC. (Which only works properly on Server versions of Windows)

Also, a router will provide a 'dead zone' for incoming traffic. It holds the external IP and thus is the one getting hit with all the automated attacks. Right now, it's your PC taking those.

Get a router. Seriously.

[color=#ffff33]SIGNED

Getting a 2nd PC - Fletcher - 06-10-2009

I'm off to town in the morning, I'll look around for one.

Getting a 2nd PC - DW-FED - 06-10-2009

I'm using a Linksys wireless -g router on my home network and i'm pretty happy with it atm
and linksys has some great networkin programs you can load for it. i personally suggest try getting one

Getting a 2nd PC - Fletcher - 06-10-2009

Okay, I've bought a router from a local Cash Generator shop, 6 pounds too, so I liked it.

Its a DrayTek Vigor 2700 ADSL Router.
http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2700.html

Will this qualify as a good enough router for my small 3 device setup?

Also, will I need to tinker with the IP addresses?

I'm guessing I've got to smash in my PPPoE ISP username and password into the router right?

Advice?

Getting a 2nd PC - Boss - 06-11-2009

Unbox it, plug everything in. If there's a port labeled "Modem" or "DSL" or summat, run a cable from the modem to the router. Then plug in your computers. Then plug in the power. Now, once the lights stop blinking like spastic fireflies, do the setup directions given with the router.

Once those are done, attempt to get to the forums. If you can, mission accomplished, it should work fine now.

If not, go to 192.186.1.1 (might be different in the UK) and log into the router. Might need that PPPoE thing you were talking about.

Best of luck.