Discovery Gaming Community
Name Conflict - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Name Conflict (/showthread.php?tid=21798)

Pages: 1 2

Name Conflict - ophidian - 06-14-2009

Hello all,

This is both a notice and a topic.

First;

The player Ophidian has no link with my character Order|Ophidian. Just to let you know since I am getting lots of PMs regarding the name thingy and as I am handling certain order stuff and need to clear it.

Second;

Do we have any regulation or ethical thingy regarding names? Like my char is Rand Seith, so can someone take Rand_Seith?or something similar? What do you think about it?

PS: No flaming, no unnecessary inputs please. Its discussion and I am "asking", not favoring one side or the other.

Name Conflict - casero - 06-14-2009

well, if someone asks you, you tell them you're not him. Or contact him by PM in forum, or in-game (you know they work without being online).
Other than that, you can't force him to change his name.

Name Conflict - johnpeter - 06-14-2009

I hate how so many people are named "fenix" I AM THE TRUE FENIX!!!

Name Conflict - ophidian - 06-14-2009

Of course, no one should force another one to re-name. Its unjust.

Name Conflict - casero - 06-14-2009

contact him, I think this can be solved.

Name Conflict - Agmen of Eladesor - 06-14-2009

We've had issues in the past with an enormous number of Boba Fetts running around. And there was an Amgen out there that caused me grief before, too. The key thing is to watch who has what tag, and if need be, contact them. (For example, one of my ship/characters names is Athena'sMemory, named after the deceased wife of the character - and he happens to be a bounty hunter - which means I get PM'd in game all the time from people who think I'm Athenian and they start by asking me a question about something I know nothing about.)

We know who you are. There can be only one... :)

Name Conflict - Drake - 06-14-2009

Basically, if you name yourself after a historic, scientific, fictional or mythological person, being, place or thing, then you can't expect to be the only person to use that name. If you use a random first/last name it'll be less likely to happen, unless you use particularly common names (Robert Smith, etc.). You may be able to talk someone into changing their name, and if it's obvious that they're trying to impersonate you (such as if you have a very unique name which they almost exactly copy) then maybe the Admins might help you.

I'm not the first Drake, and I was far from the last.

Name Conflict - Taffic - 06-14-2009

I had a BH called Centaur & had a conflict with another cant remember who he was but I seem to remember he was part of the IC trading syndicate. We talked about it via PMs & as we were in different time zones kept our names & nothing came of it.

Big no deal!

Name Conflict - tansytansey - 06-14-2009

There's someone on the server called Nighthawk who isn't me as well...
And people always confuse my Barghest "Doomsday Kiss" with Orins' Barghest "Doomsday Heart".
We fly matching Barghests >_>

Name Conflict - Daerune - 06-14-2009

' Wrote:There's someone on the server called Nighthawk who isn't me as well...
And people always confuse my Barghest "Doomsday Kiss" with Orins' Barghest "Doomsday Heart".
We fly matching Barghests >_>

i think that would be me mistaking you two. although i never really see orin around any more any way and i just go by the Doomsday part