Discovery Gaming Community
VISTA HELP NEEDED - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Welcome (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=399)
+--- Forum: Help & Support (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: VISTA HELP NEEDED (/showthread.php?tid=21931)

VISTA HELP NEEDED - Errant.Venture - 06-16-2009

So i am trying to get a friend on Freelancer, and he has a properly installed v4.85 as far as i can tell when i teamview him

but as soon as i start freelancer it kicks me to his windows screen...so i cant see the problem..

anyway he is running vista, but when he goes to MP no servers show up....which is strange..

FLMM and FL are run as admin so im wondering if i have to add that server thingy to the end of the target box on FL...

any ideas...

PS this is why i run XP pro

VISTA HELP NEEDED - Errant.Venture - 06-16-2009

gah....ok so ive narrowed it down to his EXE....

anyway i added that -s thing i found in search

and it shows the server....but when he looks at its showing 4.85 as red...so i am assuming it has something to do with the auto updater?

a little help would be nice

VISTA HELP NEEDED - pchwang - 06-17-2009

Quote:but as soon as i start freelancer it kicks me to his windows screen...so i cant see the problem..

anyway he is running vista, but when he goes to MP no servers show up....which is strange..
Wait, lolwut?

So, when you start Freelancer, it kicks you to the desktop, but then, you've managed to see the serverlist?

Make sure that he's activated the mod properly, and has FLMM running with Administrator privileges before he activates the mod. That's Right Click, Run as Administrator.

When you see the 4.85 as red, it means that your mod version is different from the mod version that is running on the server. What is the number in the bottom right corner when you are at the main menu screen?

VISTA HELP NEEDED - tansytansey - 06-17-2009

Need Help getting FL to work on Vista? Read here, another one of D Boy's Tutorials

VISTA HELP NEEDED - Errant.Venture - 06-17-2009

i read thru the forums....anyway teamview is a remote access program used to view teammates for Hacks....

i get kicked to his windows, cuz it has to do with...not being able to view him, while hes in a game....

the mod is installed properly, shows the 4,85 reunion/discovery screen...and server version is 4.85 but its in red...

i dont use vista, i despise vista, but hes mad cuz i dont play combat arms much anymore....so he wants to tag along.

VISTA HELP NEEDED - ZTeeVeR - 06-17-2009

Are you sure you are using the correct version of the mod? there are several 4.85's (beta 4,5,6 and 7 and the final one).

Although the version numbers look the same, there might still be a descrepancy in the final number. Best to make sure you have the latest version and use Freelancer.exe as shortcut.

Let me know if this works

VISTA HELP NEEDED - Cannon - 06-17-2009

It's not installed properly. The display of the splash screen doesn't necessarily mean 4.85 is installed. The behaviour you're seeing is related to Vista's virtual directory and UAC stuff (I forget the exact name).

You need to do this:
1. When opening Freelancer Mod Manager to activate mod do not double click or click from start menu, rather right click the item and select Run as Administrator (this is the critical step!!). If you don't don't this then everything will go wrong.
2. If you see any other discovery mod versions in FLMM, click the delete button.
3. Click "restore backups" in FLMM.
4. Then double click on the downloaded discovery485.zip.flmod file to load it into FLMM.
5. Activate the mod.

When you try to run Freelancer, you need to be running Freelancer as administrator (this isn't strictly true but it can help resolves other problems). When you click the normal Freelancer shortcut -- right click it and select "Run as administrator"

Unfortunately FLMM and vista don't play well together. There are several other good mod installation solutions and I wish we used them.

Another thing: if you have to add the -s thing to the shortcut then it's not installed properly. The mod includes a dll that automagically creates the server list.