Discovery Gaming Community
New Ship Models - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: New Ship Models (/showthread.php?tid=2209)

Pages: 1 2

New Ship Models - mohr - 01-13-2007

Hello, I have been playing the mod for about 3 weeks, and it is loads of fun SP and Multi. I have been reading about the RH bomber problem and the request for aditional models. I am interested and willing to work on making unique ships based on the designs of the freelancer universe (not based off of another known game, movie, etc.).

I have downloaded Gmax, Milkshape3D, and HardCMP already and have been reading into the process of making a working ship. I have expierience in modeling in Maya and have a copy of it. I have already been able to import a test model from Maya into both Milkshape and Gmax but have been having issues to make the import work. The one issue I am running that I could really use help on is getting the existing models from FL into one of these programs (Maya, Gmax, Milkeshape) to use as a reference.

So, what I would like to hear is first, would you like my help with Discovery? Second, I could use some technical help in getting the existing models from FL into one of the modeling programs to use as a reference. Third, if you can use my help what type of ships would you like me to work on (I already have an idea for a Kusari Bomber), but I would like the input from Igiss since this is his Mod and I don't want to work on something that will not be used.

Sorry for the long post, and thank you in advance for any suggestions/ideas. I don't have much of a portfolio with my 3D work, but if this works out I can begin putting some real stuff in it. I'll answer any questions pertaining to this topic you may have for me (within reason of course).

-Mohr

New Ship Models - pchwang - 01-14-2007

Mohr, I think that you would be a great help!

But before making more new ships, take a look at some of the REALLY ugly ships that we have now, and see if you can make it better.

Then submit it to one of the Admins. This may sound tedious, but it prolly will prep you for what's ahead(making your own).

New Ship Models - Koolmo - 01-14-2007

Hey, some of those ships were meant to be ugly.

*pets his RH pirate cruiser*

I actually don't know much about this kinda thing, but good on you for trying to add to the mod. I just write shiity infocards for ant....

New Ship Models - pchwang - 01-14-2007

No man...I'm talking about things like the Rogue GB, or the Greyhound, or the Albatross...

The RH Crusier might be ugly, but the Skin work is nice.

New Ship Models - Koolmo - 01-14-2007

oh, i gotcha

New Ship Models - Qunitinius~Verginix - 01-15-2007

The albatross is a really neat looking ship, But I would agree that it needs some reskining. It looks kinda bloby the way it is now, but over all a good hull shape.

Verginix Out

New Ship Models - pchwang - 01-15-2007

Albatross is pretty good, but the two front "pylons"/"wings" can be extremely unwieldy...

New Ship Models - mohr - 01-18-2007

So, ya... I am making progress in making ships in Maya compatable in GMax, but I cannot find a tutorial on editing or even opening the existing ship files! To top it off, LancersReactor seems to be not working, and I mean the ENTIRE site. I've been trying to find another source, but everything else seems to be inactive. If anyone has a turorial on editing/opening up existing ships then I'll have a starting point for designing new ships.

I have not got a response from Igiss, but I have gotten a couple requests for certain ships... I'll work on a few mock-ups and post the designs. However, without the existing ships as a reference I cannot gauge the size, even though it would be funny making a fighter the size of a BS. Any more suggestions/requests you can post. I'll see what I can do.

Mohr

New Ship Models - Nightfall - 01-18-2007

All the program names I have are from TLR, tutorials also, unfortunately, it does seem it's down, anyway, you'll find most of what you need here when TLR comes back online.

New Ship Models - mohr - 01-23-2007

If someone can get me a CMP importer for Milkshape 3D that actually works, I will give you a BAG of cookies. I got the one from LR, but it is causeing an error when trying to open Milkshape.