Discovery Gaming Community
The wiki update status - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Rules & Requests (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Site & Forum Feedback (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+---- Forum: Discovery Wiki (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=40)
+---- Thread: The wiki update status (/showthread.php?tid=22144)

The wiki update status - tazuras - 06-21-2009

In my time here I have seen a good amount of negative comments on the wiki and not a ton of positive ones. As such, I will be documenting our work here so the community can better understand how much effort all the authors put into it.
Feel free to join in if you are on author.
If you want to know more about authoring feel free to contact me via skype or PM.

I was originally going to document the last 1000 changes, but that's a lot and would take time that could be better spent editing the wiki. So instead i will document the last day and a half recorded in the last one thousand changes:

Changes for half of June 14 and June 15th:

Ixeuticus_Martius : Ship Updates : 8 pages : ~2700 characters

Johnpeter: General updates : 9 pages : ~300 characters

Hyung Song : author orientation : 2 pages : ~300 characters

Salvador : SOB : 1 page : ~2600 characters

Tales23 : RFP and other : 4 pages : ~3300 characters

Eyvind : Edinting : 4 pages : ~1600 characters

Malaclypse : TAZ : 1 page : ~400 chars

Hack : editing : 6 pages : ~100 chars

Canadianguy : transports and various editing : 17 pages : ~4000 characters

Tazuras : transports and member orientation and editing : 11 pages : ~3000 characters

Various minor changes by Lameos and Taboo.

Total: 63 author/pages edited, 18,300 characters altered.

and thats just a day and a half. We still need more help too.

The wiki update status - mwerte - 06-22-2009

I've been (slowly) adding pictures of all the bases as people make pages for them.

The wiki update status - swift - 06-22-2009

I've tried adding in a full description of the Colonial Remnant, and all IMG ships, but I can't seem to get the hang of the way wikipedia coding works..

The wiki update status - reavengitair - 06-22-2009

Ill be getting on it later, updating the ships and equipments.

Unfortunatley, I can't get my reavengitair user to work so im using a user called Polilopcicles

The wiki update status - Linkus - 06-22-2009

I had far too much trouble trying to upload pictures of Orkney in 4.84 and gave up.

Sirius Robotics is still around though, that's my handiwork.

The wiki update status - Dab - 06-22-2009

From what I've seen Hack is probably the biggest contributor to the wiki. Me and someone else went and spent hours fixing broken links, making new pages, etc about a month ago.. Reduced the 'Wanted pages' category from some 500 to 230. Haven't done much recently except the Kiretsu page.

The wiki update status - Linkus - 06-22-2009

Er question actually.

There are no 'Featured Articles' or 'Random Article' on the front page.

Often the random facts or articles can start a chain of searching through the Wiki, following link after link to get the entire story behind something but you have to go looking most of the time for a good article (As in not something about commodities etc or whatever using the random article link on the menu) on the Disco wiki.

I don't know the code for the random articlesnks on the front page, hence the question and not action.

The wiki update status - chovynz - 06-22-2009

17 June:

Canadianguy / Skaterpro0 : 1 page : 553 characters

Hack : 6 pages : 1801 characters

Chovynz/Hyung Soong : 10 pages : 1447 characters

Eyvind : 3 pages : 27 characters

Total: 17 different pages. 4 Authors. 3828 characters (not counting deletions or changes that do not register as a character count.

Note: This thread is NOT to say who does the most work, or to compare people - We are all in it together.. It is to give the readers an indication of how hard the Wiki editors actually work on it. If you see someone complaining about the wiki, then direct them to this thread.

Quote:Often the random facts or articles can start a chain of searching through the Wiki, following link after link to get the entire story behind something but you have to go looking most of the time for a good article (As in not something about commodities etc or whatever using the random article link on the menu) on the Disco wiki.
Click Random Page in the sidebar.

The wiki update status - tazuras - 06-22-2009

@Linkus - Given the status of some of the, uh "articles" I think it had best be a featured article that is chosen by a person. I think there might be a template or something already existing for this... not sure though. Anyway, we'll figure it out, and i added you to the wiki chat so we can figure it out together, wasnt that nice of me?

The wiki update status - n00bl3t - 06-22-2009

' Wrote:I've tried adding in a full description of the Colonial Remnant, and all IMG ships, but I can't seem to get the hang of the way wikipedia coding works..

Let me know what you want added and I can do it?

' Wrote:I don't know the code for the random articlesnks on the front page, hence the question and not action.

Featured articles would require a vote, and this would be a good idea, assuming enough people participate in voting.

http://discoveryfl.com/wiki/index.php?title=Special:Random (It is on the front page?)