Discovery Gaming Community
Reduced Sensor Efficiency - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Reduced Sensor Efficiency (/showthread.php?tid=22336)

Pages: 1 2

Reduced Sensor Efficiency - Ash - 06-25-2009

Most of you know that in the odd asteroid field or nebula around sirius you hear her say it. But wouldn't it bring alot more fun to the game if it were possible to have a reduced radar efficiency once inside fields such as the badlands. It happened in Story SP, why not online? I know we already have some sensor power reduction for NPC objects such as fighters and bases. Anyone whos tried to find Nome Base should know what i mean. But what i really mean is we have this for player characters also. So rogues can actually use the badlands for what they live there for. It will also bring alot more tactical aspects to PvP, fleet battles and more.

Shoot me if it's already been done. But i haven't noticed.

Reduced Sensor Efficiency - jammi - 06-25-2009

Are you talking about the range that players are clickable on the selection box and the max distance they can be seen in the selection box? I'd love for that to vary depending on where you are, but I think that's fixed across the board.

Reduced Sensor Efficiency - swift - 06-25-2009

I'd very much like it done if it's possible.
There was a thread about this back in the day, I don't remember what came of it.

Reduced Sensor Efficiency - sovereign - 06-25-2009

The problem is that sensor efficiency is based on where you are rather than where the target is- so if you are 9.9k from someone with them at the center of a 9.8k wide block of impenetrable clouds, then you could see them and they couldn't see you. Kinda funny like that. If that could get switched in general, that would be an amazing feat of coding that would be worth it even if player detection can't be worked.

That reminds me to ask someone to fix the Gallic asteroid fields. You can engage enemy bases and weapons platforms before they show up on your scanners, with a clear line of sight. Lulz.

Reduced Sensor Efficiency - Ark - 06-26-2009

You could expand the sensor interference range beyond where the nebula visually ends. To keep people outside from looking in. You can still track people nearby but outside visually.

Reduced Sensor Efficiency - DeathsOverture - 06-26-2009

Ugh I've been itching for this... the GMG are supposed to be at an advantage in the crow nebula with their advanced sensory, but our enemies can see us from 14k away in the Crow, meanwhile our cargo scanning efficiency is decreased like everyone else's sensors.

I would like to see "Sensor Efficiency Reduced" affect players more than just the cargo scan range. That way we could have more strategy in terms of scanner choice.

Honestly, I know I am biased, but it'd be awesome to see a GMG scanner (similar situation to the cheetah thruster) that is more effective in the nebula than the advanced cargo scanner, but less in open space.

Reduced Sensor Efficiency - Dab - 06-26-2009

Nebula/Field sensor reductions DO affect your max targeting range, not just cargo scan. However, Crow's reduction is so small that it doesn't make the max range visibility go under 15k. In fields like the ones in Kepler, you won't see a person at 15k. Most of the vanilla fields need sensor reduction increases since Discovery has much more advanced scanners than the default one that all the ships in Vanilla use. In Vanilla one couldn't switch scanners, now we can and we have better ones, making most of the sensor reduction nebulas useless.

Reduced Sensor Efficiency - sovereign - 06-26-2009

I can see people at 14k in the Gallic asteroid fields, which have .9 sensor reduction as far as I can tell (lulz since they're so low density). As in, bases appear on my scanner at 1k rather than 10k. I'm not convinced it does anything significant.

Reduced Sensor Efficiency - ProwlerPC - 06-26-2009

I could swear that the GMG clouds reduce cargo scanners and ballistics tracking by 1 half. Check it out, I'm pretty sure.

Reduced Sensor Efficiency - Klaw117 - 06-26-2009

It depends on what scanner you have (Scanner, Deep Scanner, Discovery Scanner, etc.). The weaker your scanner is, the less far you'll be able to see on your radar. This is only for finding bases and wrecks and other stuff like that. Players will always be visible from 15k away.