Discovery Gaming Community
Forum optimization tips - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Rules & Requests (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Site & Forum Feedback (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Forum optimization tips (/showthread.php?tid=22499)

Pages: 1 2

Forum optimization tips - Caelum - 06-28-2009

Alright, so the forums are twitching and spazzing as usual, and I'm guessing there's no chance for a VPS or Dedicated server, or a forum software switch. Here's something for forum admins/whoever it concerns

Some things that can be done to optimize forums:

-Go to the discoverygc Cpanel. Go to PHPMyAdmin. Go to the forum database & optimize all tables.

-Delete old members. No, I don't want yas to delete anyone who's 25+, what I mean is, use the forum ACP to delete any members who, say, haven't posted for 2 years? 1 year? You get the idea.

-Delete some old topics? I mean, some years old topics?

-Get the latest version of IPB? Which is version 3

-Delete forum stats and such off either the portal or the index page. It eats queries.

-Decrease the number of news entries on main page.

-Delete unnecessary things like "Time is now: 28th June 2009 - 05:36 PM" on index page.

-Use Apache (Cpanel) to compress output if possible.

-Remove all download links on this domain and move them to other domains (filefront etc)

-Well. Update robots.txt to include forums I guess. You still have discoveryfl.com. Your choice though.

-Get proper anti-spam security. The current way works, yes, but spambots still register & make posts, just invisible ones. Nags at #queries slowly. I'll even set it up for you if you want me to, but gimme a chance to do what I've already done at countless now spamfree forums will ya;)
Things I'm thinking of atm include ReCAPTCHA, customized questions, etc.

-Drastic, probably not gonna want this: remove playerstats & who's online

Just some suggestions.;)

Forum optimization tips - Weedalot - 06-28-2009

they are nice BUT:Pwe all got used to how this forum is. But i guess some of those can be done. Like cleaning out old Reg's and old very old posts and so on.

Forum optimization tips - Tenacity - 06-28-2009

how about we just increase the max connections allowed so we dont have to sit around clicking refresh for 5 minutes just to view the forum...

Forum optimization tips - Caelum - 06-28-2009

I'm guessing its there for a reason/imposed by the host:P

Forum optimization tips - Boss - 06-28-2009

How about we all stop hitting F5 every two seconds so the slots aren't always filled?

Forum optimization tips - Tenacity - 06-28-2009

Well, something needs to be done, it was bad enough not being able to get on the server for the longest time due to too many players, now we cant even get on the forums...

Forum optimization tips - Fellow Hoodlum - 06-29-2009

Just another little one ... Stop posting the avalanche of crap in flood.
The site is maintained, and paid for by Igiss, you would like see improvements on your FREE service, you
may have to put your hands in your collective pockets Ladies and Gents ...
Just a thought.

Hoodlum

Forum optimization tips - swift - 06-29-2009

On that note, Hood, why don't we um.. purge.. flood, and some other topics that aren't being used and do not benefit anyone who comes looking for any sort of information.
For example I make a flood thread, couple of months pass, noone cares anymore, and there'd be no harm in deleting it. I'm sure it's the same for many others.

Forum optimization tips - Fellow Hoodlum - 06-29-2009

Sometimes, we would like to shut flood completely, but then all hell would break loose elsewhere ...
Lesser of two evils really.
We have actually cleaned flood fairly comprehensively and quietly in the past, but it just continues to
grow. I'll point Igiss at this, and see what we can come up with. I have to say, half an hour to make a
post is a pain in the rear end for all of us currently.

Hoodlum

Forum optimization tips - tazuras - 06-29-2009

' Wrote:Just another little one ... Stop posting the avalanche of crap in flood.
The site is maintained, and paid for by Igiss, you would like see improvements on your FREE service, you
may have to put your hands in your collective pockets Ladies and Gents ...
Just a thought.

Hoodlum

Im willing to help pay. I already have given money in fact. Make the fact that this could end IPS errors better known and that it can make forum and wiki maintenance and work earsier, make sure the paypal account says it can be used for paying for forum space and not just server hardware and maybe put a counter somewhere on the forums saying how well we are doing for founds for this month, next month or whatever. I think people will pay, but you have to give them the chance.