Discovery Gaming Community
Need help - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Real Life Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+---- Forum: Software & Hardware (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+---- Thread: Need help (/showthread.php?tid=22548)

Pages: 1 2

Need help - AJBeast - 06-29-2009

Hello people,

I have a problem. My graphics card had been overheating a heck lot and , well , yesterday , the fan stopped working and it fried completelly. Well , today I went to a store and bought a new one , a Asus Geforce EN9800GT. Costed me a heck lot too ...

Well , I took off the old card out , plonked in the new one , set it up according to the manual that came with the card, and when I turned on the computer the card started buzzing ... well , not buzzing , but emiting a continuous high pitch squeel...

So , yea... I have no bloody idea whats the problem... and I didnt want to waste all that money for nothing... Any ideas ?

Need help - Internity - 06-29-2009

The card isn't installed right , try to push it more into the socket . But be very careful !

This happend to me when I mounted some DDRAM 2 for my motherboard. When I started the pc a beeeeeeep started aswell a long beeeeeep.

If doesn't work try to take it off and place it back into the socket, try again. Also if is still not working your sure your motherboard supports it? Tell the shop where you bought it your PC details , motherboard etc...

Also make sure your power supply has enough power to send for the new video card.

4pin cable or dunno what you use.

I can't give you more details sorry I don't know what else to tell ya.

Need help - ed_philips38 - 06-29-2009

This article might be worth reading as it appears the EN9800GT is prone to emitting various annoying sounds.

"In addition to the usual squealing under load which plagues many modern graphics cards, the card emitted a constant, high-pitched whine when first installed, which did not stop until the drivers were installed and the system rebooted. Furthermore, after a fresh reboot the card occasionally generated an unusual squeal that fluctuated in frequency and tone for about two minutes. It was as if a tiny gremlin had crawled inside the machine and started to play miniature bagpipes. The noise was associated with an increase in GPU temperature to about 58C, suggesting the GPU was under some kind of load that we were not aware of. While we weren't able to track down the cause, we were able to record the noise. Here is a sample:"

Ref: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article891-page5.html

Need help - AJBeast - 06-30-2009

@Internity : I already did all that and I assure you that its well set up. About the power supply thing , do you know how I can check that out ?

I think the motherboard supports it , at least , in the store in which I bought it , the guy ran my old graphics card through the internet to check if the one I was buying was compatible.

@ed philips : The thing is that besides the card emitting that high ptiched noise , it just doesnt work at all, so I cant install the drivers or anything... I hope it doesnt stay that way after I get the thing running properly though.

Need help - agentmike - 06-30-2009

' Wrote:@Internity : I already did all that and I assure you that its well set up. About the power supply thing , do you know how I can check that out ?

I think the motherboard supports it , at least , in the store in which I bought it , the guy ran my old graphics card through the internet to check if the one I was buying was compatible.

@ed philips : The thing is that besides the card emitting that high ptiched noise , it just doesnt work at all, so I cant install the drivers or anything... I hope it doesnt stay that way after I get the thing running properly though.

the power output of the power supply should be on a sticker slapped to the side of the power supply. your output in watts should probably be at least 400-500 watts for a decent MoBo, and VidCard. maybe more.

if its 300 or less, you might wanna invest in a new power supply. you can get them pretty cheap off of tigerdirect.com (ifyour in U.S.)

but still, this may not be the problem...

but usually vid cards are powered by the slot on the motherboard if its a good motherboard....

Need help - Turkish - 06-30-2009

This is actually a relatively simple problem assuming I'm right, your GPU requires more power than the standard PCI-E slot can provide, so as a result it requires a secondary connector to be used.

This is usually found on the top back of your video card, at the end of your HSF. If there is infact one, find the appropriate cable from your PSU and connect it, that should dolve your problems. However if your PSU cannot provide the watts needed you will need to purchase a new one.

Need help - AJBeast - 06-30-2009

Actually , reading the manual , it says that it might need a secondary connector, more specifically , it says "for specific cards only" , so im guessing this is one of em. It even came with a cable thingy. I'm not beeing able to connect the thing though... Cant find where to plug it in.

Also , my power supply is 550W

Meh , ill try to plug the thing in again tomorow... its too late and I cant focus right.

Need help - Boss - 06-30-2009

[Image: card_power.jpg]

That's where you plug the thingy in.

Need help - tansytansey - 06-30-2009

Ugh... I have a 9800GT as well and it's given me nothing but headaches since I've had it. I never got the squealing problem but I've been getting a stop error since the day I got it. Stuck in infinite loop or something, and none of the supposed 'fixes' on the internet have solved the problem. It's gotten to the point where I can't even browse these forums with my PC without it periodically freezing. I have to keep my video card disabled to run my PC.
Apparently it's a common problem with nVidia cards, to do with the drivers or something. So it's something to watch out for... maybe you'll get lucky and it won't affect you. But if it happens I'd recommend taking the video card back and getting it replaced straight away... cause It's just not worth the hassle.

Need help - ed_philips38 - 06-30-2009

there should be a 6 pin PCI Express power cable http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/pcie6.jpg coming from the PSU that connects directly to to the video card.