Discovery Gaming Community
Question to system designers - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Question to system designers (/showthread.php?tid=22787)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Question to system designers - Tenacity - 07-04-2009

Is there any way to create a nebula effect which gives the appearance/illusion of being in- or under-water? The thought kinda came out of nowhere, but an entirely liquid system would be pretty damn cool...

Question to system designers - ProwlerPC - 07-04-2009

Depends I guess. The current temperature in space is pretty set (or will stay at it long enough for Sirius to consider it set). What is that temp? What elements would be liquid at that temp?

Question to system designers - worldstrider - 07-04-2009

' Wrote:Depends I guess. The current temperature in space is pretty set (or will stay at it long enough for Sirius to consider it set). What is that temp? What elements would be liquid at that temp?

Actual water exists as a layer in the clouds of Jupiter--where the pressure and surface temp are high enough. A "belt or cloud" of water could exist around a star but boy would it be an anomaly and fragile. Would take a freakish set of circumstances. Maybe a "brown/black dwarf" star...a star to small to collapse to a neutron star and too cool to have ever blazed brightly--perhaps only a burned out core, could retain enough heat and gravity to have an extensive atmosphere of water if enough ice clouds surround it and cascade to its realtively cool surface. Would have to radiate infrared heat and have enough gravity to pull the ice down Near the surface could be the bottom of a "dense pile" of crashing ice and water. Would be pretty tumultuous--like a never-ending tidal wave hitting the beach. In space most would be a roiling gaseous or frozen crystal rushing cloud. Liquid could be hydrogen, methane, helium etc but same sort of difficulties exist. one intersting scenario would be a carbonized star--almost like graphite--with little residual heat emanating and one substance that might be plentiful there and maybe exist as a semi-liquid is petroleum. Might be a good source for the oil in Gallia and even be minable. You would need lots of petroluem soaked rocks floating in it and maybe alien organisms as an oil source (unless they were long extinct there).

Question to system designers - Tenacity - 07-04-2009

' Wrote:Depends I guess. The current temperature in space is pretty set (or will stay at it long enough for Sirius to consider it set). What is that temp? What elements would be liquid at that temp?

Um, nitrogen perhaps? =P

I'm not looking to justify this with science or physics or chemistry or whatever... I just think a liquid system would be cool. Maybe find some way to muffle ship engine and weapon sounds in that system, could serve as a Nomad system perhaps... or another alien race.

EDIT:

Guys, it doesnt have to be water, there are substances with a far lower freezing point than water.

As for light in the system, perhaps have some bioluminescent organisms living in the liquid nebula =P

Question to system designers - Drake - 07-04-2009

We have so many other weird freaky spatial anomalies which don't make any sense but are Dom K'Voshed into existence, I don't see a liquid nebula as out of the question. Could be kinda cool.

Question to system designers - worldstrider - 07-04-2009

' Wrote:We have so many other weird freaky spatial anomalies which don't make any sense but are Dom K'Voshed into existence, I don't see a liquid nebula as out of the question. Could be kinda cool.

Yes--after cringing at the "stacked billiard ball planets" in one Gallic system, a liquid atmoshpere black dwarf is pretty tame. In fact, a carbon star could have a core of petroleum and spew it out forming an "ocean atmoshpere" around it.

It's a real stretch but...
Quote:The thermoacoustic natural gas liquefier converts heat into sound waves and then converts the hot sound wave energy to cold refrigeration using highly pressurized helium contained in a network of welded steel pipes. First, the system combusts a small fraction of the natural gas to heat one end of the steel pipe network. Then, the resulting acoustic energy refrigerates the opposite end of the network, which cools the rest of the natural gas. At minus 160 degrees Celsius the natural gas liquefies - rendered dense enough for economical transport. This technology requires no moving parts, contributing to its economy of operation.

If you had the dark core I was talking about radiating the infrared and having some substance in its composition that converted the IR to acoustic energy and then had a layer of helium tightly pressed by gravity but not ignited--with "oil" mixed within it in pockets, they might get liquified (hey--its a scifi fantasy extrapolation here).

Question to system designers - Drake - 07-04-2009

Liquid Helium might work, it can stay liquid down to Absolute Zero. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_helium

Question to system designers - Unseelie - 07-04-2009

If we could do liquid spheres...one of Saturn's moons (I forget which...) is nearly entirely liquid.

Question to system designers - Jinx - 07-04-2009

but water and pressure..... i mean...

aren t spaceships constructed to withstand a pressure of zero to around 1? - and water would ... well, you d need a submarine for it - practicly the opposite of a spaceship. - wouldn t that be an instant deathtrap anyway?

Question to system designers - Jacob S. - 07-04-2009

Where do you get that number Jinx? To be able to dock on different planets ships would need to withstand huge changes in pressure, one atmosphere on Earth might be vastly different than that of one on New Berlin.