Discovery Gaming Community
Something that popped in my mind... - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Something that popped in my mind... (/showthread.php?tid=23059)

Pages: 1 2

Something that popped in my mind... - Pinko - 07-10-2009

Right now, all we can choose from for upgrades are Armor upgrades.

But what if there was a second choice? A powerplant upgrade. Now, I'm not thinking about getting a 2.5 X powerplant on all ships for 15 million, but something VERY costly, such as 100 million for each 0.1 times you want to add. (1.1 X powerplant = 100 Million, 1.2 X = 200 Million, etc.)

This, of course, would give brute power to many ships (especially for bombers) but at a cost: as soon as their shields get offline, only the Original hull remains. And they are a lot more vulnerable/easy to take down.

A boost of powerplant would be ideal for groups that needs to hit hard and fast, but useless if a battle goes on for too long.
During 1 on 1 with caps, the powerplant upgrade obviously have the advantage, but not in a groupfight.
Maybe I'm not clear enough, although. Language barrier, bleah.

Something that popped in my mind... - Cellulanus - 07-10-2009

I don't think it can really be codded, and even if it could it simply raises to many balance issues, I also highly doubt that it's possible to link the shields to a powerplant modification.

Something that popped in my mind... - n00bl3t - 07-10-2009

Yes. MR on my Starflea.

(Wait, I might need a Torpedo slot for that.)

Something that popped in my mind... - Cellulanus - 07-10-2009

' Wrote:Yes. MR on my Starflea.

(Wait, I might need a Torpedo slot for that.)

Defender with a MR then.

Something that popped in my mind... - DiscoveryAccount - 07-10-2009

It's an interesting idea but it would probably lead to a lot of overpowering problems. But I think it could be made if it was wisely balanced and if the max power upgrade was not too high.

But, following the same path of idea you brought, there could be shield boosters that could choose instead of hull upgrades.

Something that popped in my mind... - sempai17 - 07-10-2009

How about something more along the lines of "Auxiliary Batteries". They have a specific amount of energy (instead of the multipliers).

Examples:
For Fighter and Bomber Classes
Auxiliary Batteries Mk I gives an additional 500u to the base power output. Mk II would be 1,000u, Mk III would be 1,500u and so on and so forth until MK VIII at 4,000u

(like with Armor Upgrades, the equipment is cargo dependent)

For Gunboats and Higher
Auxiliary Generators Mk I generates 2,000u of extra power, Mk II generates 3,000u, and so on and so forth until Mk VII at 8,000u

(like with Capital Armor Upgrade, the equipment is cargo dependent)

-OR-

we could go another route:

Reactor Upgrade Type A - Multiplies recharge rate by 1.25
Reactor Upgrade Type B - Multiplies recharge rate by 1.50
Reactor Upgrade Type C - Multiplies recharge rate by 1.75
Reactor Upgrade Type D - Multiplies recharge rate by 2.00

Thats my suggestion, or at least, my thoughts. what do you think?

Something that popped in my mind... - Pinko - 07-10-2009

' Wrote:How about something more along the lines of "Auxiliary Batteries". They have a specific amount of energy (instead of the multipliers).

Examples:
For Fighter and Bomber Classes
Auxiliary Batteries Mk I gives an additional 500u to the base power output. Mk II would be 1,000u, Mk III would be 1,500u and so on and so forth until MK VIII at 4,000u

(like with Armor Upgrades, the equipment is cargo dependent)

For Gunboats and Higher
Auxiliary Generators Mk I generates 2,000u of extra power, Mk II generates 3,000u, and so on and so forth until Mk VII at 8,000u

(like with Capital Armor Upgrade, the equipment is cargo dependent)

-OR-

we could go another route:

Reactor Upgrade Type A - Multiplies recharge rate by 1.25
Reactor Upgrade Type B - Multiplies recharge rate by 1.50
Reactor Upgrade Type C - Multiplies recharge rate by 1.75
Reactor Upgrade Type D - Multiplies recharge rate by 2.00
Thats my suggestion, or at least, my thoughts. what do you think?

I actually like this.

Something that popped in my mind... - FraserTE - 07-10-2009

' Wrote:I actually like this.

i think the 88 flak server has something of this sort ?

How about bots and bats capacity upgrades ? for us using them cap 7 on a gunboat like me...

It eats more bots whne i repair then a normal gunboat.

Something that popped in my mind... - tansytansey - 07-10-2009

Would have to be balanced veeery carefully to prevent dual SN Bombers. The Barghest, Waran and Fafnir in particular.

The Fafnir has the highest power core of any bomber at 50880, the power required to fire two SNACs is 59480. This means even a 1.2x power upgrade will allow the Fafnir to fire dual SNACs. This means the highest possible upgrade is 1.17x.

Something that popped in my mind... - Sprolf - 07-10-2009

Sempai has a very good point.

Don't add a maximum power upgrade, add a recharge time upgrade.
It's basically the same thing, without worrying about infringing on bomber territory.