Discovery Gaming Community
Ok, newb question - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Freelancer Forum (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Ok, newb question (/showthread.php?tid=2342)

Pages: 1 2

Ok, newb question - Jakayn - 02-05-2007

Hey folks.

I've browsed through the forums, looking for good ways to make money, and the general consensus is to make a trader character to finance my fighter.

So, my question is, is there an easy way to transfer credits from one character to another? I just made my trader, Jakayn, and will probably be remaking Vandiin in order to fix his rep (He's only level 24, so it's not that big of a loss). How do I move money between the two? Do I have to find someone that will trade with one character to the other?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find it anywhere, after browsing every page in Freelancer in General and several pages of the General section in the community forum.

Ok, newb question - 13CentKiller - 02-05-2007

Hi,

Well usualy you would just get a friend to transfur your money to your other character through trading. If there is no trusted people online you can buy credit cards and drop them in space...then tractor them in with your other character. NOTE: This is extreemly risky...especialy if another player close by has his scanners set on loot lol.

Ok, newb question - Qunitinius~Verginix - 02-05-2007

The easiest way would most likly be to ask another player to hold the money while you change characters and them give it back to your new character. This is called a transfer and is fast, safe, and reliable with most players. Talk to any of my guys you see in ym sig image in game for help.

The next, and riskier way, is to do a dropp trade. Find a remote location and then buy credit cards with the ammout of money you want to trade over. Jetison the cards and and logg into your desired character and tractor in the cash. This is VERY risky and I have lost 80 mil before doing this. A tip would be to wait until the jetison animation COMPLEATLY finishes before logging out.

Well, there ya go!
Verginix Out

Ok, newb question - Jakayn - 02-05-2007

Thanks for the info. Hadn't thought about the credit card thing, but I agree, sounds pretty risky... hehe

Ok, newb question - Mickk - 02-05-2007

' Wrote:Thanks for the info. Hadn't thought about the credit card thing, but I agree, sounds pretty risky... hehe

Yes, it is risky, but just in case you do end up doing it that way, here is how I set up to do it.

1) Find a Station/Outpost/Planet

2) Open your Map and zoom in on it and count 'intersections' (where the map lines cross) away from it and place your 'goto' marker. Try to pick a position that is 'off the main routes' that everyone uses.

3) Fly your first ship there. I normally fly the 'Money' ship first.

4) Repeat steps 2 & 3 with your second ship using your 'original' Station/Outpost/Planet.

5) Drop a Nanobot/Sheild Batt. This is to verify your position.

6) Switch to the 'Money' ship and hopefully you will 'see' your dropped Bot/Bat fairly close by.

7) Move to the Bot/bat, tractor it in and drop the Credit Cards.

8) Switch to the 'Needy' ship and tractor in the Credit Cards.

It's a lot of messing about, but I've managed to get to within 200 meters of the dropped 'marker'.

Ok, newb question - Stormsurfer - 02-05-2007

All suggestions here are very risky, regarding the dropping of credit cards. NPC's can also tractor in your loot, and if you're in the trader character at the time, you'l find it very hard to get it back.

Best place to do this is Connecticut, where there are no NPC's, and plenty of open space to choose your location. This way is a lot less risky. Do this and combine it with all the other advice here and you should be transfer ready.

Ok, newb question - Firebird - 02-05-2007

' Wrote:All suggestions here are very risky, regarding the dropping of credit cards. NPC's can also tractor in your loot, and if you're in the trader character at the time, you'l find it very hard to get it back.

Hmmm...don't NPCs only tractor demanded loot? Otherwise the lawfuls would always tractor in the pirates you shoot when fighting along side them.

The credit card trick works as long as you're careful, making sure:

1. The two characters are in the same location. (Within scanning range of the dropped cargo)
2. No players around to steal the stuff.
3. The jettison is fully complete before switching characters.
4. Switching to the new character doesn't take too long. (Don't take minutes to change)

Works on any cargo so maybe try an NPC gun first to try it out before the cash.

Ok, newb question - Stormsurfer - 02-06-2007

Quote:Hmmm...don't NPCs only tractor demanded loot? Otherwise the lawfuls would always tractor in the pirates you shoot when fighting along side them.

I also believed this was the case. However, when transfering a sheild using this method on another server, an NPC tractored it in and I lost the sheild which took me 2 months to find. I definately wont make this mistake again.

The said NPC was from a pirate faction. So I don't know if its just unlawfuls that do it or every NPC if they are within tractor range, but putting credits under an un-necessary risk when there is a place like Connecticut right next to the new character spawn, seems a little too risky for me.

Its just advice from bad experience. Don't say I didn't warn you...

Ok, newb question - PARAKEET - 02-06-2007

Doesn't loot disappear when no one is around? So you drop it and you fly over to get it and its gone. Does the server remove it because it is taking space?

Ok, newb question - onca - 02-06-2007

Orphaned loot hangs around in space for a few minutes (don't know the exact time), before the server deletes it. I've been killed, respawned, flown back to the grave sight and tractored stuff spilled by my previous ship. But you have to be quick....

o.