Discovery Gaming Community
How to mitigate Flood - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Rules & Requests (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Site & Forum Feedback (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: How to mitigate Flood (/showthread.php?tid=23422)

Pages: 1 2

How to mitigate Flood - eyvind - 07-16-2009

Flood threads very rarely concern me in the slightest and I really see no value in the vast majority of activity that goes on in that forum; I am certain the same is true for many other members. I have been of the opinion that Flood should simply be archived and its meritable uses reassigned. Since Flood still exists, I will take another road to a satisfactory end.

The "View New Posts" button is the way many people (including myself) browse the forums on a daily basis. I click this link and look down the lists and through the pages for threads that might concern me. It is very rare that a thread in Flood feels valuable and in the cases that I find one, I wonder why there it isn't posted somewhere else, or why there isn't a more appropriate place to post it.

My suggestion is to remove Flood posts from "View New Posts."

There are a few potential problems with this that I can see, and I have tried to think through solutions to them or at least why they really aren't problems.

People who enjoy Flood would be less able to quickly find new Flood posts. Perhaps they enjoy seeing completely frivolous posts as they browse the more serious ones. As I see it, this boils down to two issues. The first issue isn't really one, in my opinion. Flood is a simply designed forum consisting of a single large part. Finding new posts there requires only opening it from the forum index. Posts with updates are listed first, dates of the last post on the right, and updated threads are even highlighted.

The second issue is probably one that is most important to those who enjoy Flood. Much of Flood consists of a type of humour. I might not find most of it at all entertaining but some do, so I won't say there's anything wrong with it simply because there isn't. For this reason, perhaps removing Flood completely is just as simply a bad idea. It might be impossible to redesign it for the better.

The next problem is that of serious threads that can't easily find a home elsewhere. It is often recommended to post in Flood if you don't know where else to post, sometimes the advice is slightly better and recommends posting in either General Discussion or Flood. On the other side of it, people often wonder (often out loud in these same threads) why some threads were posted in Flood.

The solution to this, as I see it, isn't too difficult to pull off. Firstly, people should be encouranged to post meritably serious threads in General Discussion rather than Flood. This might not be as simple as it sounds, so: Secondly, perhaps Flood should be moved to become the sibling of another forum: "Drought." Perhaps "Drought" is a terrible name, perhaps "Serious Fun" or just "Humor" is better; this forum would be the (in the manner of General Discussion) "free forum for any sensibly humorous topics."

I am sure I haven't covered all the sides of this issue, so I hope you will aim to help the community with your reply.

How to mitigate Flood - Guest - 07-16-2009

Nuke flood...from Orbit.

But then we'd loose Tenacity..

How to mitigate Flood - Jinx - 07-16-2009

flood is quite important - socially. - there are quite some heated debates around, there people are serious or get worked up much.

flood helps to take it all easier again and to make some fun - together. flood can separate players when the mockery is too much, but it can also work as a channel to bring them back together, much better than any other section on the forum.

i think its a good balance we got between nonsense threads and serious complaints or requests or other threads.

How to mitigate Flood - Leo - 07-16-2009

I agree. It's a bit of a relief to see some silliness from time to time down there. Some of the posting games make me laugh while reading them, although I don't normally get involved.

Keep flood.

~Leo

How to mitigate Flood - stardust47 - 07-16-2009

If we deleted Flood, Rick Astley would make a comeback. NOW do you want to keep Flood?

How to mitigate Flood - Captain - 07-16-2009

' Wrote:flood is quite important - socially. - there are quite some heated debates around, there people are serious or get worked up much.

flood helps to take it all easier again and to make some fun - together. flood can separate players when the mockery is too much, but it can also work as a channel to bring them back together, much better than any other section on the forum.

i think its a good balance we got between nonsense threads and serious complaints or requests or other threads.

I totally agree with Jinx

its like the ancient but still up-to-date Ying Yang, good and bad, Non-flood and Flood, RP and PvP

one cant survive without the other.

-Mike (Entrepreneur)

How to mitigate Flood - Xing - 07-16-2009

I try to reduce my flood post count but it's too tempting.
Also do I never use view new posts.

I say just leave it there, but do something about those old threads of more than a year old that keep getting brought back by grave diggers for no reason.

How to mitigate Flood - eyvind - 07-17-2009

Let me make it perfectly clear that I am not proposing the deletion of Flood. If this is not clear in my post then I apologize and will try to fix it, but I would appreciate it if you read my post rather than jump to conclusions.

As it stands now, I absolutely agree that we must keep Flood.

If someone would like to make the case for deletion, then I am all for you making a case for it, but I am not.

I feel the best way to go about this discussion is to discus my suggestion and move onto further, or elaborated, suggestions as they are brought up by other people. Simply arguing against suggestions that haven't been made yet won't get us very far. That is not to say that you shouldn't explain your position fully, just support it with qualified arguments.

How to mitigate Flood - chovynz - 07-17-2009

I'm one of the ones that does use and enjoy flood.
You could almost say I live there.
One of the reasons why I do so is explained in a "Why do you spam" thread by Marburg (?).

Another reason is I don't like too much nastiness. It's easy to take things said on the forums
in ways that the intent of the post was never meant.

I find "removing the flood" from showing up in the "View new posts" an
acceptable solution. I can just as easier see the flood thread I'm
interested in by browsing the flood, and look at the left side. The black dot
shows what I've posted in, and those I've posted in are usually only the
ones I'm interested in for replies or "build on" threads/thoughts.

Under your suggestion, If I want serious thread I could click on View new posts. If I want "Funnee" I can go to flood myself.
That would be fine.
It's just a matter of re-learning my forum habits.

How to mitigate Flood - DiscoveryAccount - 07-17-2009

I agree worth this suggestion. I don't really care but I approve it more than I disagree... And I don't think it would cause any problems really.

Anyway,what I think is pretty much similar to Hyung Soong... except I don't live in the flood forum :laugh: