Discovery Gaming Community
Remake the forums - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Rules & Requests (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Site & Forum Feedback (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Remake the forums (/showthread.php?tid=23589)

Pages: 1 2

Remake the forums - eyvind - 07-19-2009

As more people voice their dislike for the state of Discovery a greatly increasing number vague suggestions, general advice, abstract posts are appearing left and right. To me, they don't seem to be doing much other than multiply and propagate the sentiments they depict. Therefore, I will continue to post my ideas even if they are spontaneous, in the hopes that some concrete, tangible good will come of them.

The last idea I posted was to change Flood in some way. I have dropped that idea since there isn't much consensus at all and I don't have much trouble agreeing with any of the opinions brought up.

The idea that is the subject of this thread is simpler and more drastic: to lock and archive the entire Discovery forum, reinstall (perhaps some better forum software), and let the community start fresh.

I can think of many arguments against this, but since people will undoubtedly bring them up in any case, I'll just let it happen and we can proceed with a lovely debate.

Remake the forums - Cyberanson - 07-19-2009

' Wrote:The idea that is the subject of this thread is simpler and more drastic: to lock and archive the entire Discovery forum, reinstall (perhaps some better forum software), and let the community start fresh.
I don't know anything about the database structure of this IPB software, but if it is as good as the structure from the Simple Machines Forum, then there is no better choice then IPB. This software offers so many good features, like the quote features and the personal assistant.. I cannot imagine any better forum software.

And it would be hard to accomplish to restructure and re-initialize all the forum structures... just some thoughts from me...

Anyways... if you need help with customizing PHP software or database engineering... just ask, I would be glad if I could help.

Remake the forums - eyvind - 07-19-2009

I think it would be best if we discussed whether or not to do it before we discussed the actual implementation.

Remake the forums - Donutman - 07-19-2009

Ummmmmm

What's the point?

Remake the forums - chovynz - 07-19-2009

Agreed.
What's the point?
I don't think the forum structure is the problem, even though I agree with packing it up and starting afresh.
It's the host, or so Igiss says.
But then I don't have enough background knowledge to be able to say anyway.
Logic says the forums structure is fine as is, but there are problems in a realm about which I know little about.

Remake the forums - ophidian - 07-19-2009

Simplicity is the best can be one of the points.

Remake the forums - teschy - 07-19-2009

Yes, this forum does need some serious cleaning, there is so much outdated stuff on it, uselessly wasting space - as most people like to say it. I personally think we could do with a fresh theme and layout. The community evolved along the years, but the forum has not. I think it's time for a change, and we can start by taking the trash out and refurbishing our front lawn.

Remake the forums - mwerte - 07-19-2009

archives will be kept, they're nice for reference.

When I talked to igiss about this it was stated that the host only supports a certain version of PHP, and this is the only version of the forum software that runs on that version of PHP. If any of you were around last time we tried to switch hosts you will remember it was an unmitigated disaster. Ok, I exaggerate, but only slightly.

As for a restructuring of the topics/subforums, it's being worked on.

Remake the forums - BaconSoda - 07-20-2009

' Wrote:When I talked to igiss about this it was stated that the host only supports a certain version of PHP, and this is the only version of the forum software that runs on that version of PHP. If any of you were around last time we tried to switch hosts you will remember it was an unmitigated disaster. Ok, I exaggerate, but only slightly.

I don't think that is an exaggeration. It was quite the awful. Looking back, why I complain now is a good question. I'm good for keeping this host....

Remake the forums - FooFighter - 07-21-2009

Maybe we could start anew and switch to the Simple Machines Forums software? I'm not much of a server guy, but I've heard a lot of good stuff about it from the people who run one and I could do a custom theme for it as well.

Even if we can't/don't want to switch...a fresh start would certainly be awesome. Clean the forums of all the clutter that amassed itself here. Restructure it and place a higher emphasis on the RP forums this time (srsly, just take a look at the current forum structure: you have the rule forums, you have the general forums, but the RP forums are easily lost in between).