Discovery Gaming Community
Couple of quick questions from a new guy - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Couple of quick questions from a new guy (/showthread.php?tid=23614)

Couple of quick questions from a new guy - lordtarl - 07-20-2009

Hi all! I have some quick questions i wanted to ask.. maybe someone can help me out..

1. I read on the main site something about "the storyline".. is there a story going on? I mean beyond the basic plot? like things to do while playing to effect the game?

2. Does anyone know of a way to increase the resolution of the game so as to basically span it across three monitors? (I run a triple monitor set up off of dual radeon HD4870's) I have tried editing the perfs.ini in the documents/mygames/freelancer folder but it seems to max out around 1600 no matter what i put in. I've tried it in windowed mode etc and nothing works. Anyone play across multiple monitors that can help me out with this? I've tried all the basic stuff that is common to find on the net.. maybe someone has a trick or two to get this working?

3. There seems to be TONS of new planets and bases etc that were not in the original game.. does anyone know of a map or site with a map that shows the systems and what is where? I see someone talk about XYZ base on the forums and have no idea what or where it is lol I know exploring is a big part of the game but its hard to pick a destination when you don't know what is available lol

4. Is there a list somewhere of the various player factions / groups within the game? How do you get involved with that stuff? is it as simple as "hi Id like to join!" or ?

5. I have read the rules and stuff..but one thing i hate in any game is player griefing etc. What is to prevent someone with a battleship beating the hell out of people once they hit 30 or whatever? Does that kind of thing happen? I mean am I going to hit the noob level cap and suddenly find myself getting blown to bits constantly?

Thats about it. I have a ton of others but they will come to me as I play. Hopefully someone can help me out with these.

Thanks!!

Couple of quick questions from a new guy - chovynz - 07-20-2009

Welcome to the forums and to Disco!
1.There certainly is a storyline!
3. www.discoveryfl.com/wiki (not complete but we volunteers are working on it.)
4. Again wiki.
http://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=238 Faction status post.
And yes usually its as simple as that. Most official factions have some sort of interesting employment/recruitment conditions.
5. It happens lots. However, things are in motion to fix that. You just need to find the right space for you and people to interact with.

Again welcome. Disco is so huge it's hard to inform new players of the things they need to know to "survive", and it often isn't a noob friendly place. The learning curve is steep, but worth it once you gets some stuff under your belt.

Good luck.

Couple of quick questions from a new guy - lordtarl - 07-21-2009

' Wrote:Welcome to the forums and to Disco!
1.There certainly is a storyline!
3. www.discoveryfl.com/wiki (not complete but we volunteers are working on it.)
4. Again wiki.
http://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=238 Faction status post.
And yes usually its as simple as that. Most official factions have some sort of interesting employment/recruitment conditions.
5. It happens lots. However, things are in motion to fix that. You just need to find the right space for you and people to interact with.

Again welcome. Disco is so huge it's hard to inform new players of the things they need to know to "survive", and it often isn't a noob friendly place. The learning curve is steep, but worth it once you gets some stuff under your belt.

Good luck.

1. If there is a storyline how is it implemented? is it just things to read in the news area or are there missions or just npcs beating each other up? I mean what can I as a player do to interact with the story and be part of it? Cause all i am doing is flying around taking bar missions currently.

The other stuff I will just have to read up on. But i cant find any info at all about the storyline...
Thanks!!

Couple of quick questions from a new guy - tazuras - 07-21-2009

' Wrote:1. If there is a storyline how is it implemented? is it just things to read in the news area or are there missions or just npcs beating each other up? I mean what can I as a player do to interact with the story and be part of it? Cause all i am doing is flying around taking bar missions currently.

The other stuff I will just have to read up on. But i cant find any info at all about the storyline...
Thanks!!

The storyline is implemented in game in the form of new hostilities, wars, bases, and npc paths. These are all fleshed out in the form of some new rumors, new base and planet descriptions, new faction descriptions and probably most importantly new base news items.

As for interacting with the storyline, that where roleplaying comes in. The only way to interact with it is to become a part of it. If you want to have an impact on a large scale (as in affecting the plot of the game) you need to propose that to the dev team or join the dev team. Being a faction leader helps too.

Couple of quick questions from a new guy - Gemini893 - 07-21-2009

' Wrote:As for interacting with the storyline, that where roleplaying comes in. The only way to interact with it is to become a part of it. If you want to have an impact on a large scale (as in affecting the plot of the game) you need to propose that to the dev team or join the dev team. Being a faction leader helps too.
Not entirely correct, there have been a few times when a handful of people RP'd something out and expected everyone else to accept it even though they weren't even invited into the RP. You might also recall how several Faction Leaders were rather miffed recently that they were not included in discussions that effected their factions in major ways.

That being said, become an active member of the forum and play your character(s) with realism in mind, not the whimsical "because I wanna" mentality that a number here seem to use, and get a feel for how things go. Don't be surprised if you lose some battles, we all do. You'll win some too.

As far as finding your way around, you can Google Freelancer Companion. It's a pretty nice program to use, especially when you have multiple monitors. I keep it open on my 2nd monitor and alt-tab to it, as needed, to find a jumphole or profitable cargo to take from whereever I've landed. (It seems to me that it's primarily a trader's tool.) It does display every base, jump hole, trade lane, and jump gate in the game and helps you plan routes. Mind you, there are times I ignore the "fastest" way in favor of what I think is the safest way. That kind of thing comes with time and experience.

Couple of quick questions from a new guy - tazuras - 07-21-2009

' Wrote:Not entirely correct, there have been a few times when a handful of people RP'd something out and expected everyone else to accept it even though they weren't even invited into the RP. You might also recall how several Faction Leaders were rather miffed recently that they were not included in discussions that effected their factions in major ways.

That's why i said it helps, nothing guarantees anyone will be included in major discussions or their RP will be accepted as there are no rules or standing policies that I am aware of concerning these things. I will try to be more precise in the future.

Additionally, the discussion(s) they were not included in were preliminary in nature and no changes had been committed to or promised at that point, although rumor had spread that decisions had been made and finalized, at least that is my understanding having spoken with some of the people involved at the time.