Discovery Gaming Community
Admin Notice: Anti-F1 changes - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: News and Announcements (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Admin Notice: Anti-F1 changes (/showthread.php?tid=23848)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Admin Notice: Anti-F1 changes - Cannon - 07-25-2009

We are trialling a new anti-F1 (and alt-F4) system. If you disconnect in space <strike>and you are within 5km of another player your cargo will be automatically dropped and </strike> all players within scanner range informed.

<strike>We are aware that this will be annoying for players who accidentally disconnect during a fight or another player interaction but we hope that it will reduce the number of intentional F1 disconnections to zero.

Just to clarify a few things:
- It only happens if another player is within 5km of your ship at the moment you disconnect and the player is not a member of your group.
- It doesn't affect bats & bots.
- It doesn't affect your hull.

Also see: http://discoverygc.com/forums/index.php?s=...st&p=665372

EDIT: change 10km to 5km and removed hull damage</strike>

To clarify the system does the following and nothing else:
- A message is printed as soon as the they disconnect. The message is something like "<playername> is attempting to engage cloaking device". This message is shown to all ships in scanner range at the moment of disconnection
- Their ship won't disappear for 60 seconds and they won't be able to connect again for 60 seconds.

We will keep the "don't F1" rule indefinitely. The sanction for F1 may be reviewed and made more severe to try to discourage people from doing it but please don't report people if they don't do it maliciously.

One more edit: a single screen shot of the "attempting to engage cloak" message is probably sufficient evidence for F1 violation reports. It's best that your ship and their ship is shown in the screen shot.

Admin Notice: Anti-F1 changes - Turkish - 07-25-2009

Congratulations on effecting people with inconsistent internet connections, something I personally suffered through.

What about those with horrific lag that forces them to disconnect? This was not well thought out.

10 K isn't nearly enough, imagine the consequences of disconnecting in a heavily populated system on your first serious run, it sacrifices the little guys for the propserity of the many. I simply don't agree.

Admin Notice: Anti-F1 changes - centauri5pirate - 07-25-2009

Very cool, I think the pros will definately outweigh the cons with this.

*** Will we have to give an engagement notice to the derelict ship? :laugh:

Admin Notice: Anti-F1 changes - Zelot - 07-25-2009

Thats fantastic Cannon, a great idea. Three Cheers to the Server Monkey. One question, if someone is in cruise when they hit F1, which in the past had put someone into a drift that usually resulted in them being out of scanner range before they got timed out, will this still happen, or is the F1 timer being reset to zero?

Admin Notice: Anti-F1 changes - agentmike - 07-25-2009

i seem to be disconnected more often when around other people then when i am by myself.

isnt there a better way to detect the F1 or Alt+F4 buttons being used directly? rather than detecting a mere disconnect?

Admin Notice: Anti-F1 changes - Zeltak - 07-25-2009

I tend to randomly F1 out due to lag which is due to my internet being screwy sometimes. It happens about 3-4 times per week. This is gonna get annoying, real quick, real bad.

Admin Notice: Anti-F1 changes - DeathsOverture - 07-25-2009

Zelot raises a good point, when someone F1's, half the time they zoom off faster than you can cruise towards them, and will be far more than 10k away from other players before they depart.

It would be nice if there was a way to tell the difference between a lost connection and a use of F1. Unfortunately, this new system targets both.

Admin Notice: Anti-F1 changes - agentmike - 07-25-2009

so i'm assuming there will be no more sanctions for doing it?

Admin Notice: Anti-F1 changes - Zeltak - 07-25-2009

Another thing. Many players (like myself) tend to receive alot of heavy lag in large battles. Sometimes, not always, will it cause for some players (again, like myself) to lag out of the game. Now, consider this. You log back in and you have now received critical hull damage.

I never like to be treated wrong due to other peoples fault. This is exactly what this new system will give.

Why should an innocent player like me be punished because some people enjoy rule-breaking?

Admin Notice: Anti-F1 changes - Turkish - 07-25-2009

Just to add, what about people who trade in convoys and get disconnected?