Discovery Gaming Community
Admin Notice: Anti-F1 changes - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: News and Announcements (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Admin Notice: Anti-F1 changes (/showthread.php?tid=23848)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Admin Notice: Anti-F1 changes - NonSequitor - 07-25-2009

This is not such a wonderful plug in. In my humble opinion.

I have empathy for players who characters carry considerable amounts of swag in their cargo holds that could be affected by this automated sanctionizer by no fault of their own. For example miners, haulers of very expensive cargo and carriers of rp-vital sundries.

What if you got stuck in a docking sequence at a jumphole? This happened to me with a hostile right on my six, back in 4.84. I had no other recourse other than to F1 out. I popped right back into the game and explained the situation to my nemesis, who took the whole thing in stride. If that happened now, I'd have an empty cargo hold and I'd be 5 mil poorer. Double plus ungood.

I understand the Admin workload is staggering, but this just seems to shuffle the problem of F1ing to another party, as Jinx already said. The advantage of this plug in is that the non-rping F1ers get punished immediately. The obvious disadvantage is that innocent players get the same "punishment" because their connection unexpectedly peters out or real life priorities require the player to leave the game in an instant.

Admin Notice: Anti-F1 changes - elgeeko - 07-25-2009

I can see both sides of this issue, and this is my two cents.

1 Abraham Lincoln; on one side this helps the admins out with less reports to sift through

2nd 'Abe; on the other hand it has inconviniences, and bugs. The one I am most worried about is people who get accidentally lag-kicked. RP can always adapt to changing needs, people with a cruddy internet connection can not always adapt.

Conclusion?
My personal opinion is that it can be tweaked to become a useful and accepted plugin

How?
I personally like (if its possible, I have some programming experience but not with FL) the idea of making some types of RP cargo immune to the drop, and making certain ship classes immune (especially the barge, and perhaps capital ships cruiser and above since they're for military use and are (I think?) less likely to be f1errs)

So, thats my two cents and a 1$ tip.

Admin Notice: Anti-F1 changes - Internity - 07-25-2009

Please keep the anti F1 like it was before with 60seconds.
I have a very bad internet connection and sometimes I get huge red lag constant and I lose connection or I get disconnected. Happens to me almost everyday. Please keep the old one.:(

Admin Notice: Anti-F1 changes - MrHeadphones - 07-25-2009

I reckon just the F1 message would be enough. Although the sanction workload wouldn't be any less, it would be much easier to tell if an F1 violation had actually taken place, rather than just a few screenshots and a long rambling report with the need to have chat time enabled, all you need is the one SS with the " Player X has F1ed" message. I'm not so sure about the cargo drop idea, but I feel that it needs more testing so we can gather some data on it to see how well it works. If it does work correctly, then it could stay implemented, although any bugs would have to be thoroughly ironed out. Also, it may be an idea to have it keep a log of everyone who has disconnected in the past day or so, and so if the server goes down, anyone who "F1ed" out maybe anything up to 15 minutes (for a slow crash) before the server finally went down would get a refund. Also, a rudimentary fix which may have already been implemented could be to monitor the ping of the person who "F1ed" at the time. From the way I see it, although my computer knowledge is limited, an actual F1er would have a steady ping which suddenly leaps when they F1, with no response whatsoever afterwards. Someone who disconnects because of yellow followed by red lag would have a higher ping which increases more gradually before the response is lost. Of course, F1ers with more than 500 or so ping naturally wouldn't be hit, but it could go some way to keeping innocents unaffected.

Admin Notice: Anti-F1 changes - worldstrider - 07-25-2009

The message popping up "player so-and-so has F1ed" would be a great effect and make it a bit easier to begin IDing those who do it routinely.

The rest is a lot taken for litle given imho.

Admin Notice: Anti-F1 changes - Pingu! - 07-26-2009

This about losing cargo, also include losing unmounted weapons? I mean dropping unmounted weaps to space?

Admin Notice: Anti-F1 changes - casero - 07-26-2009

The message is already in use.
I have seen people DC'ing or losing connection, and then coming back with all the cargo in their holds.

Admin Notice: Anti-F1 changes - Donutman - 07-26-2009

I lagged out a few weeks ago in a massive furball at Fort Bush. After a few minutes, my crappy internet started working again, I got back on, explained to my enemies I lagged out, they let my back in the furball, and we all had a bunch of fun. Now? I'd be on fire probably. My internet isn't bad, my router is just ancient and is prone to randomly giving out on me. I think this plug-in is, like most people do, a bad idea.

Admin Notice: Anti-F1 changes - n00bl3t - 07-26-2009

' Wrote:I can only imagine the reaction of a weapons trader with 30 Code guns when his connection accidentally drops one day.

Yes, thank goodness I got out of the business before this happened.

' Wrote:Well ... I guess they'll need to be careful then. They need to justify the prices they're charging for those things anyway. I have no remorse for them losing their entire shipment when they charge as much as they do.
// SIGNED //

These weapons dealers should be considered black marketeers anyway. They're selling weapons without licenses. If they're gonna do this stuff ... they shouldn't be hanging about house system planets.

Liberty requires you to have a license to deal weapons. NY has been camped and taken over before. You have a bias against weapon dealers because no-one wants to sell you a weapon for 500k when they can sell it to someone else for over 10 million. Weapon Dealers can and do role-play.

Hence, I think your opinion is ridiculous.

Admin Notice: Anti-F1 changes - obnoxious1 - 07-26-2009

IF I am to understand this correctly,,,

1. If one was to F1 with this new system, they will loose their cargo.
2. There is a chance if you didn't F1, but lagged out or get dropped for what ever reason besides F1, You may lose your cargo.

I usually a huge supporter of Cannons idea's & upgrades, he has given this community countless hours & several useful features. BUT this one I am afraid wreaks of FAIL...

A prime example could be seen in any over populated system or known battle area.
Take Alpha for instance.. Usually several ships in & out, always someone attacking at any given time,
What would happen if say the sairs send a fleet in to Alpha while a trader is passing through? The lag gets intense at times & several have been known to get dropped. Is it fair to someone not even involved loose up to 20mil worth of cargo to this?
Even worse, say a Faction bank or armory is on, it's loaded with 100's of millions of credits worth of gear. Fight breaks out in system, lag ensues, that ship lags off. With a chance of loosing all the gear it stored.
Is admin going to be willing to deal fairly with this if it happens? & how does this justify a less work load ?

If I am understanding how this works, Your doing nothing but adding more problems & more issues for Admin to deal with than you are preventing them.
Easier fix would be replace lost admins or maybe set up some in game mods to assist in admin duties. They would have no power in game, but could review sanctions notices & such & weed out the ones not worth the effort & pass along the ones that are credible to admin with recommendations & lists of what rule/s were violated. I am sure there are enough willing volunteers.