Discovery Gaming Community
Admin Notice: Anti-F1 changes - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: News and Announcements (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Admin Notice: Anti-F1 changes (/showthread.php?tid=23848)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Admin Notice: Anti-F1 changes - worldstrider - 07-25-2009

' Wrote:That's why it will be fine-tuned on the fly. To minimize misdetections the most possible.

Heh--you aren't running for office are you? Well, I use Windows so why not make me a beta tester again...sigh.

Admin Notice: Anti-F1 changes - Thurgret - 07-25-2009

Is there any way for the server to detect whether or not a person has actually pressed the F1 key? If there is, and if they do that, then disconnect, then it's probable that they're cheating. And other situations could be dealt with on a case by case basis, I guess.

Admin Notice: Anti-F1 changes - Turkish - 07-25-2009

Do we really want to enter the realm of keystroke logging?

Admin Notice: Anti-F1 changes - Drake - 07-25-2009

What happens if, for example, you find yourself needing to log off quickly and have no friendly base nearby. Okay, there's no one else around, you decide to log off in space... But sometime over the next minute (three minutes? whatever it is now) someone shows up and finds your ship. Now there was no one around when you logged out, but someone showed up before the server disconnected you. Would you drop all your stuff?

Admin Notice: Anti-F1 changes - Thurgret - 07-25-2009

I'm pretty oblivious to how such things work, so if it sounds daft... it probably is daft.

Admin Notice: Anti-F1 changes - Turkish - 07-25-2009

' Wrote:What happens if, for example, you find yourself needing to log off quickly and have no friendly base nearby. Okay, there's no one else around, you decide to log off in space... But sometime over the next minute (three minutes? whatever it is now) someone shows up and finds your ship. Now there was no one around when you logged out, but someone showed up before the server disconnected you. Would you drop all your stuff?

Thats a good point, can the script be amended to make the decision based on a one time scan of the area? So essentially if you f1 with no one in range at the time you press the key you wont be penalized if someone appears shortly after.

Admin Notice: Anti-F1 changes - Drake - 07-25-2009

Actually, with this implemented, would the wait time/re-log delay really be necessary at all? Seems excessive.

Admin Notice: Anti-F1 changes - Cannon - 07-25-2009

' Wrote:What happens if, for example, you find yourself needing to log off quickly and have no friendly base nearby. Okay, there's no one else around, you decide to log off in space... But sometime over the next minute (three minutes? whatever it is now) someone shows up and finds your ship. Now there was no one around when you logged out, but someone showed up before the server disconnected you. Would you drop all your stuff?

Doesn't work that way. It only counts if someone is near you at the moment when you log off, i.e. you don't drop your stuff if someone shows up after you disconnected but are still in space.

' Wrote:Actually, with this implemented, would the wait time/re-log delay really be necessary at all? Seems excessive.

No it is not really needed -- I've already reduced the re-log delay to 10 seconds and might make it a little shorter again.

Admin Notice: Anti-F1 changes - worldstrider - 07-25-2009

' Wrote:Doesn't work that way. It only counts if someone is near you at the moment when you log off, i.e. you don't drop your stuff if someone shows up after you disconnected but are still in space.
No it is not really needed -- I've already reduced the re-log delay to 10 seconds and might make it a little shorter again.

At least the concept is improved this way. Thanks for listening to the input. I will go back to gritting my teeth now.

Admin Notice: Anti-F1 changes - chovynz - 07-25-2009

Have a question related to this.
Would a thread listing those who are known to disconnect out via lag help anything?