Discovery Gaming Community
NEW website design. - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Media Center (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: NEW website design. (/showthread.php?tid=24021)

Pages: 1 2 3

NEW website design. - Ximen_Benitez - 07-28-2009

So, I finished my website... and I like it.

However, I don't know if it's too "unusable" or "hard to get through" or... whatever else, for other people.

So, I need some opinions about whether the design is bad or good. (It's unique!:D) Remember... I'm brand-new-off-the-shelf with web design. So go easy:P

www.dylan-durrant.com

Thanks.

NEW website design. - Cyberanson - 07-28-2009

I like the idea of this navigation box in the centre pretty much. The only thing I dislike is the very minimalistic style and the missing technological features.

Style: I like the Web 2.0 style with the glosssy look and so on.
Technique: Try out more JavaScript and probably AJaX. That rocks!

I haven't learned any javascript yet... my class moves so slowly. I'll just go ahead and learn it myself.

I've never heard of AJaX, I'll look into it!

Thanks!

Oh, and what missing technological features are there? I know a couple, but if I know an outsiders opinion, I'll know what to go learn!

Hehe, look: I am a programmer. Therefore I can give you hints with the technological things. AJaX is basically some combination of JavaScript and XML... alternatively you could use PHP also, to give out dynamic results from the server.;)

And the statement with your class moving slowly... who cares? If you are interested in this kind of stuff, nobody will prevent you from informing yourself. That's how I got into this myself. Forget about the freaking education from schools, seminars... the only REAL knowledge can be accomplished via learning-by-doing. In my humble opinion at least.

So if you need thing which regard this kind of technology, feel free to ask me.

Well the biggest question that's been lingering in my mind... is how to set up my own database. I'm not sure where to start, or what can be accomplished by doing so. My teacher mentioned ASP (I think) as some sort of database.

My hosting gives my 10 databases, but it does all the setting up.

Basically, what languages do I need to learn and what software would I need? I've tried googling this kind of stuff, but the results are always confusing.

I just need a place to start;)

Also, how would one make some sort of comment form, like what's found at the bottom of blogs, or other webpages. What language is that, and does it have to do with databases?

Oh, and can databases be set up on your own computer to be accessed from the web? I have an old junker computer that might be useful for that...

' Wrote:Well the biggest question that's been lingering in my mind... is how to set up my own database. I'm not sure where to start, or what can be accomplished by doing so. My teacher mentioned ASP (I think) as some sort of database.
Well, basically there are three big providers you can choose from: MySQL, Oracle, Microsofl SQL

In my opinion only SQL can show you the right path to professionality. Oracle is for those who have too much money, but what you get is incredible. The best technique of all. Forget about Microsoft.

You set up your database in the ACP of your webspace/webserver. I could provide you with some test environment, if you wish. Mostly you create the database via this ACP (PLESK, OmegaCP), and in rare cases via the command line (telnet connection). But that depends on your provider.

' Wrote:Basically, what languages do I need to learn and what software would I need? I've tried googling this kind of stuff, but the results are always confusing.
SQL. Definetly. Structured Query Language. Easy to learn and very useful. Example: to select all customers from a table you would type: SELECT name FROM customer_table. Easy, isn't it? Various conditions and filters can also be implemented, but that is some advanced usage, which you need to know when you start to think about database design and normalizing.

' Wrote:Also, how would one make some sort of comment form, like what's found at the bottom of blogs, or other webpages. What language is that, and does it have to do with databases?
Yeah, that's pretty easy. The default configuration is this: HTML/CSS/JS for the website, PHP for the server-side handling of submissions, SQL for the storage. I know, sounds complicated, but after you get to know the mechanics behind that whole thing, it's easy.

' Wrote:Oh, and can databases be set up on your own computer to be accessed from the web? I have an old junker computer that might be useful for that...
Try searching XAMPP. It's a good tool, which includes an Apache webserver, a SQL server and a FTP server. I use that thing too.

NEW website design. - mwerte - 07-28-2009

This is all while using Chrome.

1: On the portfolio page, if you click the single image, it comes up with an off-center (it should match the rest of your site's feel methinks) grey box that floats on the page.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff287/d...e2007/ximen.jpg

The whole background should be grey. Also, for your text, use lorum ipsum, it looks much more professional.

2. The 'break' between the sub menus should be the same for all 3. Right now the uneven spacing makes it look unprofessional.

3. If you're going to make 3 separate "request" links, you should make 3 separate request pages.

4. At the bottom of your Digital Art Gallery is this:
dD Wrote:Comments? Send them to feedback@dylan-durrant.com!
Feel free to use these images as your desktop background.
All images Dylan Durrant 2009.
A modified version of this should be at the bottom of every page.

Overall I like it, it is definatly unique. It will grow as your web development skills grow.

NEW website design. - Fletcher - 07-28-2009

Thats a really nice navigation design. I like it. However the only nitpick and I stress that is the colour scheme. Not everyone will be able to clearly make out the text with the text colour on the background.

Just make the text stand out a lil bit more. God I hate what HCI classes did to my mind...

@Ventana:

Ok, I'll look into learning SQL. I think www.w3schools.com has tutorials on that...

@mwerte:

Ok, thanks for the pointers! The website in the porfolio page is just a picture of the site. I haven't actually made a page template to show my images, so you're really just looking at the raw image. I need to do that, but I'm not sure how I could... yet. I'll look into it.

As for the requests page, I was thinking that myself. I'm going to do that soon.

What do you mean by the "break" in the submenus? Like the link buttons?

Thanks, that's the kinda stuff I needed to know.:D

EDIT:

@Fletcher: What would you suggest doing to make the text stand out more?

NEW website design. - mwerte - 07-28-2009

too much posting today. >.<

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff287/d...2007/ximen2.jpg

See the big space between menus? That's the break. On the two sides it's that wide, but on the bottom it's significantly less of a break. Remember, this is Chrome I'm using. It could be a Chrome issue, I haven't looked at the source code or in another browser. Hang on while I do that.

Ok, I'm back. It completely broke in IE7.
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff287/d...2007/ximen3.jpg
(but nicely organized HTML)

By just assigning it to be <center> or <left> you let the browser decide where to put the boxes. And that is bad. A crude way to correct it would be to put it in a table. But I'm infatuated with tables. Do it with CSS. Define where you want the next box to appear.

Here is the HTML part of forms. You need a serverside script like PHP to complete it though. http://htmldog.com/guides/htmlbeginner/forms/

And know that even if your provider says you get 10 databases, you can put multiple tables (what PHP queries to get information) per database.