Discovery Gaming Community
Battleship-user complaints - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Battleship-user complaints (/showthread.php?tid=2422)

Pages: 1 2 3

Battleship-user complaints - Grakor - 02-15-2007

Hi, I'm new here.

Anyway, I've been playing the Discovery mod for around a month now, and I just purchased my first cap ship (an adv. battlestar) yesterday.

Upon seeing the awesome model, I was absolutely delighted! Then, when I first entered an asteroid field, I watched in horror as my beautiful new mammoth-like ship was bounced around like a pinball....

This, along with sluggish entries into jumpgates and being literally knocked around by tiny Titan-class fighters, made me regret my past 4 days of obsessive trading.

This morning, I set up my own private lan server, started with 500 million, and bought a liberty dreadnaught. The thinner shape helped out with trade lanes and jumpgates, but being knocked around by asteroids and small fighters still persisted.

Is there any way to fix this (very) unrealistic bumping?

Battleship-user complaints - Craines - 02-15-2007

To my admittedly small amount of knowledge, the answer is, sadly, no.

All large ships are knocked about as easily as fruit flies in a windstorm by random celestial objects. Why, my Container Ship has far more mass than a mere asteroid, but they remain stationary, which defies all laws of inertia... if I crash into something else in a frictionless (and gravity-free) plane, then both I and the object hit will move apart from each other at an equal speed until acted upon by a force. However, the asteroid did not move. Why? I claim evil dark magic, but I don't have the screen shots to prove it. :P

Anywho, I believe the answer is no. But if I'm wrong, by God tell me now so that I can bask in the glory of a game that uses the laws of science realistically.

Battleship-user complaints - Virus - 02-15-2007

Freelancer game physics were designed for fighters and NPC's. NPC's can fly through asteroids because of the way they're programmed (same reason they don't move when you ram them, fighter or capship).

As I understand it, Igiss has asked many different modders their solutions for the battleship bug, but none of them seem to work for Discovery.:(

Battleship-user complaints - Craines - 02-15-2007

Black Magic, I say! It's the witches!

Why is everyone staring at me like that?

I'll go sit in my corner.

Battleship-user complaints - Hyperwave22 - 02-15-2007

This is a problem that has remained unsolved for quite a while.

As far as that goes, my suggestion is to avoid the asteroids, or get used to the design of your ship, and fly through the asteroids in cockpit mode. If you know the general design and hitbox of your ship, you can eventually get used to it, and who knows, maybe even make it through the asteroids.

Also, be careful of NPC ships ramming you. It knocks you around just as bad as the asteroids:(

Hype

So, if this problem can't get fixed, what's in it for battleship owners in terms of navigating?

Were those 200 million credits really worth it...

-_-

I wonder what faction leaders do to solve these problems.

Battleship-user complaints - Dab - 02-15-2007

All I can say is avoid asteroid fields as much as possible. Try to go around them if possible.

The bigger the ship, the more its gonna hit asteroid fields. Battlestar and Zoner Juggernaut are noturiously bad in them. The smaller Liberty Dreadnaught and Osiris are much better in them, but you got to pick whsat fits your RP.

Battleship-user complaints - pchwang - 02-15-2007

Stay out of the asteroid fields maybe?

Because asteroid fields are there to give fighters cover from Capships. If capships could just plow through, then there would be no point in owning a fighter.

Battleship-user complaints - afoofis - 02-15-2007

Try flying through an asteroid field with rheinland or kusari BS then you'll see REAL PROBLEMS

Thanks for the advice.

To make a turn in this topic, would anyone like to discuss the anti-fighter problems that battleships tend to have?