Discovery Gaming Community
Alternate Introduction for Discovery - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Media Center (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: Alternate Introduction for Discovery (/showthread.php?tid=24413)

Pages: 1 2 3

Alternate Introduction for Discovery - 13CentKiller - 08-05-2009

I was supposed to post this a week ago, and it was sparked by a recent Skype conversation, so here it is.

I know it has been discussed in the past, but I wanted to bring it up again. I think the other one is dead, and it does not have a poll.

I have wanted someone to do something like this since I joined. I think it would add a whole lot more to Discovery's image. Being able to represent the mod, and accurately describe the basic story-line in a video is priceless. Back in the day, I did not have any knowledge at all about 3D animation let alone creating a mechinema. Today however is a completely different story. I have a base in 2D/3D animation, rendering and texturing. When I look back at the 4.85 pre-release trailer, I see things that I feel I could have done so much better.

Before I poor time and effort in to doing this...It is critical I get the community's opinion on its worth. Of course the community would be involved in its creation, that is very important. If I start now, considering my work-load now and future work load, I estimate that the time it would be completed and in the mod would be 1 to 1.5 years(maybe more) This is best case scenario...factoring planning, composition, education, help and rendering.

I cannot estimate an approximate running time. I am nowhere near that yet. Right now, I require community input.

Comments?:cool:

Alternate Introduction for Discovery - swift - 08-05-2009

Sounds great and will definitely contribute a lot. The only difficulty is that everyone will want something added into it and we could practically make hours of the video, while it should only last what... 10 minutesish?

Alternate Introduction for Discovery - Jamez - 08-05-2009

12 to 18 months is too much time to spend on it, in my opinion. Especially considering you are an important part of the dev team already.

P.S. That avatar is just w.t.f.

Alternate Introduction for Discovery - AJBeast - 08-05-2009

This gets a massive YES!! , M. Bison variety.

' Wrote:Everyone will want something added into it and we could practically make hours of the video, while it should only last what... 10 minutesish?
5 minutes worth of multiple props, textures, scenario's and import models...I estimate that with three dedicated machines rendering the footage, it will take 3 to 4 weeks without factoring in errors, crashes, tweaks and complete changes resulting in footage being cut.

' Wrote:12 to 18 months is too much time to spend on it, in my opinion. Especially considering you are an important part of the dev team already.
Considering I was only recruited to do the promotional stuff for the mod, this fits right in to my category very nicely. 12 to 18 months is pretty much standard for any kind of animated short 2 to 5 minutes long. I don't have a studio, crew, render farm or equivalent expertise. I would be lucky to have it finished in 18 months time.

' Wrote:P.S. That avatar is just w.t.f.
Thanks. :laugh:

' Wrote:Not as disturbing as this:

[Image: acrobat.gif]
I strongly disagree!

Alternate Introduction for Discovery - joshua_cox - 08-05-2009

I'll give you 100,000 (add Zeros as I make more money from my poor, poor trader) if you can stick in the music from the following trailer (personally, considering the huge scale of Discovery, I think it fits):

This here.

Now, as I was saying, I think an alternate opening would be great. It's one of the few things Discovery itself doesn't have, and an individual, awesome trailer other than the normal one would be a great incentive to not skip the intro videos. I'd help, but I know jack all about this sort of thing.

Alternate Introduction for Discovery - LA-384 - 08-05-2009

I agree with Jamez, if it's going to take 12 to 18 months, it's probably a waste of time. By then there is most likely a new mod, with new stuff making it stand out in the crowd.

If you want it to be entirely 3d generated, i am not sure if a basic knowledge of 2d and 3d would suffice.

In any case i'll gladly provide the needed ship models and textures if you decide not to create everything from scratch.

Alternate Introduction for Discovery - Discovery UK - 08-05-2009

Well, if you're going to take that long just for the rendering, send me some of the scene files and I'll queue them. I've only got a few machines but it's not that bad for larger scale work. I know you're using Maya, and they've all got Spider Render Farm at the moment, with XP Pro SP3. Just send me a PM on skype if you'd like a hand;)

' Wrote:I agree with Jamez, if it's going to take 12 to 18 months, it's probably a waste of time. By then there is most likely a new mod, with new stuff making it stand out in the crowd.

In any case I'll gladly provide the needed ship models and textures if you decide not to create everything from scratch.
Thankyou:)

And as for the rendering stuff Josh. It is a very generous offer, but if the project files are gigs and gigs of data, I'm going to need your physical address. :lol:

As for Jamez's concerns, I wouldn't poor hundreds of hours into a project like this only to have it last 6 months before the mod is updated. Think of the current Freelancer intro...It generalizes information to get you interested. It takes the plot, makes it snappy and attractive for 5 minutes. That is the goal of this.

Alternate Introduction for Discovery - Discovery UK - 08-05-2009

Ah yes, the connection. . . well the address isn't a problem - I might as well send you over the files on particle effects and stuff too - we can trade:D

I believe that the actual scene files shouldn't be more than a few hundred meg, but getting them back to you for compositing would take a long time on your connection, so it might be me needing your address;)

A very non-specific intro is a better option, simply for the fact that it allows you to use it for new versions of the mod too. Unless the storyline takes a dramatic swerve in a new direction, very suddenly, I think the intro should easily last 18-24 months. But you're on the dev team, ask yourself what you lot are going to change that might be that dramatic:)